5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/C seats

850rider

Reaction score
2021 limited night edition. A/C seats don’t really seem to have much of a cooling effect but I can hear a fan when I have it on medium or High setting. Any thoughts?

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The seats sucks air in, not out. So if your cabin is hot, you won't feel the cooling effect until the A/C has cooled down the inside cabin.

23RAM

Reaction score
The seats sucks air in, not out. So if your cabin is hot, you won't feel the cooling effect until the A/C has cooled down the inside cabin.
This is correct...it's not A/C, it's a ventilating fan under the seat. And I find my ventilated seats are too cold when the cabin is cooled down a bit, so I turn it off after just a few minutes.

850rider

Reaction score
Interesting but it still doesn’t feel like they do much ? I imagine they suck air in through the small perforated holes in the seat ?

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
I live in Central Florida and I can attest that the vented seats work very well in my truck. I will not have black leather seats without them. This dates back to the early 2000s in BMWs. The feels like temps here this summer have been running 105-110 F and my vented seats do the job well. Not sure why you are not feeling the cooling effect.

John Galt

Reaction score
They’re not A/C seats, they’re vented seats.

they have a blower that blows cabin air up your butt and lower back. There’s no separate A/C or vents for the seats.

the “heated” part uses electric coils to warm the seats.

23RAM

Reaction score
Yes, that's exactly how they work.
Actually that's incorrect. The fans blow up into the underside of the seat and up into the backrest. They do not draw down through the holes - it wouldn't work when your *** is in the seat blocking the holes. I was curious and checked to find it blows up into the seat.

23RAM

Reaction score
In Michigan they never feel cold. They barely stop you from sweating.
I guess the effect varies for different people. I don't even use the Hi setting as it cools too much - I usually use Lo.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I guess the effect varies for different people. I don't even use the Hi setting as it cools too much - I usually use Lo.
I'm on my third vehicle with them, and none of them made any difference. Maybe because I'm a big guy, and cover all the holes. But even just holding my hand against the seat, I barely feel anything.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Actually that's incorrect. The fans blow up into the underside of the seat and up into the backrest. They do not draw down through the holes - it wouldn't work when your *** is in the seat blocking the holes. I was curious and checked to find it blows up into the seat.
No, sorry. You're mistaken. They pull air in through the perforations in the seat bottom and back. Don't believe me? Turn them on and set a piece of paper on the seat back. It will be pulled against the seat surface.

23RAM

Reaction score
No, sorry. You're mistaken. They pull air in through the perforations in the seat bottom and back. Don't believe me? Turn them on and set a piece of paper on the seat back. It will be pulled against the seat surface.
Turns out we're both right. The seat does draw air in through the perforations when you're not seated. I'm average build, but even so my butt and thighs cover about 95% of the perforations blocking air flow. Same for the backrest. Logically this wouldn't work for cooling if that's all it did. Putting your hand on various parts of the seat, you can feel it being cooled away from the perforations even when blocked, so I figured something else is going on.

Turns out the seats have two paths to cool them. To cool the seat when you're not sitting there, it draws air in through the perforations to quickly cool like remote start situations so the surface gets cooled if they've been sitting in the hot sun, ready for you to get in. But at the same time, air is also draw up from below the seat and blown into duct "bags" (that's the name of the part) to spread out and circulate the cool air inside the seat to cool the entire seating area. This is how it maintains cool air flow when you're blocking the perforations. The backrest has it's own fan and duct "bag" to circulate cool air too. The seat foam has perforations and channels in it to flow air as well.

It's a simple design really, but it works well to cool the seats. It was well over 100f some days back in July inside the truck in full sun at work, yet my seat was nicely cooled by the time I walked across the lot to get in. See pic below. Parts 12 and 23 are the "bags" that duct the air.
seat.jpg

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Turns out we're both right. The seat does draw air in through the perforations when you're not seated. I'm average build, but even so my butt and thighs cover about 95% of the perforations blocking air flow. Same for the backrest. Logically this wouldn't work for cooling if that's all it did. Putting your hand on various parts of the seat, you can feel it being cooled away from the perforations even when blocked, so I figured something else is going on.

Turns out the seats have two paths to cool them. To cool the seat when you're not sitting there, it draws air in through the perforations to quickly cool like remote start situations so the surface gets cooled if they've been sitting in the hot sun, ready for you to get in. But at the same time, air is also draw up from below the seat and blown into duct "bags" (that's the name of the part) to spread out and circulate the cool air inside the seat to cool the entire seating area. This is how it maintains cool air flow when you're blocking the perforations. The backrest has it's own fan and duct "bag" to circulate cool air too. The seat foam has perforations and channels in it to flow air as well.

It's a simple design really, but it works well to cool the seats. It was well over 100f some days back in July inside the truck in full sun at work, yet my seat was nicely cooled by the time I walked across the lot to get in. See pic below. Parts 12 and 23 are the "bags" that duct the air.
View attachment 166568
That's great info. Explains why I never felt anything. I said I didn't think they did much, due to the fact I felt no air. Never thought about surface temperature, assuming the perfs were supposed to cool while driving.

Users who are viewing this thread