5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/C pulley seized. Compressor or clutch?

Tycrawf

Reaction score
Driving back home from work and the AC pulled seized, shredding the belt. Got it towed home, but if I can't spin the pulley by hand when the truck isn't turned on, could the clutch of gone bad? Maybe I'm looking at a mechanical failure or something lodged in the clutch to bind it. Or maybe the compressor is locked up, and the clutch is just stuck in the on position.

Side note, I don't see a way I can route a smaller belt to bypass the AC, otherwise I would lol.

2019 ram 1500 5.7 non-etorque.

Ratchet

Reaction score
Should still be able to spin compressor by hand if the clutch is engaged (with no belt). Would be nice if it's just a piece of belt wedged behind the compressor pulley causing the bind. Or....most likely internal compressor failure. At this point, your system can be contaminated with fragmented metal. Will require flushing. Expect to replace the compressor, expansion valve, condenser, and drier.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hard to say without looking at it. But either way, you should change the compressor and clutch while opening the system. I’ve never not changed both for piece of mind

Users who are viewing this thread