5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/C Performance

turkeybird56

Reaction score
Wow, don't really realize what is involved, till you see a photo like this.
Great work, keep em coming
SA at dealership took pic. Heck, dealership gave me a ride home yesterday morning and will pick me up when truck done, though I doubt that be till tomorrow. I live over an hour from my Dealer and their loaners are booked out 2 months in advance. I am fortunate, got a pretty dang good SA and dealership.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
The feller in the crooked hat doesn't seem interested

He is not mechanic, he is supply (parts) guy.. My SA put the senior mechanic on my truck, he is the senior guy there with over 20 years, so hopefully all be good in end.

flinstigator

Reaction score
Here U go, truck at Dealership day #2, with the whole HVAC tore out of truck. Guess gonna be a 3rd day before I get my truck back, LOL.

View attachment 96900

I'm sure that's what my truck looked like as well! Mine took a little longer than anticipated as well. Had to drive my 82 928 around for a few days while waiting for the truck but can't turn on 928s AC unless I want RPMs to bottom out when coming off throttle! Pretty extensive AC repair but in the end will be worth it once it's corrected!

turkeybird56

Reaction score
The feller in the crooked hat doesn't seem interested

He is not mechanic, he is supply guy
I'm sure that's what my truck looked like as well! Mine took a little longer than anticipated as well. Had to drive my 82 928 around for a few days while waiting for the truck but can't turn on 928s AC unless I want RPMs to bottom out when coming off throttle! Pretty extensive AC repair but in the end will be worth it once it's corrected!
All I got is My 2006 Honda Trike with 104 degrees out. Gonna try and make do as much as I can, LOL...

PostPremium

Reaction score
Simply amazed that the flawed AC design slipped past all their design engineers. How did it not come up in testing? You would think vent temps would be the first thing they check. Glad they are doing the right thing though.

Aptec1205

Reaction score
Hello all.. 19 longhorn here.. just outa curiosity.. Sense I don't believe I have an HVAC issue and I live in a very hot area in Florida.. although my ac will freeze you out in just 20 to 30 min of drive time I'm wondering if this TSB is still applicable to my truck to maybe further enhance make more effective the HVAC system

turkeybird56

Reaction score
Simply amazed that the flawed AC design slipped past all their design engineers. How did it not come up in testing? You would think vent temps would be the first thing they check. Glad they are doing the right thing though.
OK, got my truck back yesterday. HERE IS my take on the work and results: TEMP'S all with Fan on Speed 7, Normal AC, temp set to low, driving 70 mph.

1) The mechanic on the job worked (2) full days, at who knows what is the Rate an Hour.
2) With the techs pulling all that stuff out, and putting back in, you sure run the risk of not going back in properly and damaging parts.
3) The results were minor but an improvement. It does seem that the temps are balanced more between the (4) front AC vents. Left Drivers: 48-49, Left Center: 48-50
Right Center: 46-48. Right Pax: Unknown.
4) It would be a lot cheaper ref rates, and hours and work at Dealership if they just use an older Heater Control Valve and wire it into the BCM to close
say when MAX AIR put on. If you stop the fluid flow to the heater core, temps go down to 41-42 degrees.
5) All the above R IMHO.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
Hello all.. 19 longhorn here.. just outa curiosity.. Sense I don't believe I have an HVAC issue and I live in a very hot area in Florida.. although my ac will freeze you out in just 20 to 30 min of drive time I'm wondering if this TSB is still applicable to my truck to maybe further enhance make more effective the HVAC system
You need to read the TSB, check yer Build Date and HVAC design and see if it falls under the TSB. 24-001-20.

In My VERY Humble Opinion, if yer system is working OK and U R happy with it, no way I would have the techs pull out the entire HVAC system and mess with it and run the risk of who knows what when putting back in. But just IMHO.

turkeybird56

Reaction score

I talked to tech: Wat they R doing is changing HVAC box out, rewiring temp sensors and relocating the sensors. It helped a little, but nothing to do somersaults over, IMHO...

ADDED: I still am happy I had it done. NE improvement is an improvement, especially considering the temps.

Last edited:

jaygridley

Reaction score
I just recently picked up a 2019 Ram 1500 used a few months back and now that we are hitting 100 degree temps I really notice that the AC isn't outputting like I was used to in my Highlander. I'm getting 55 degree vent temps. Since I bought this truck used, how does this TSB thing work? Is that an out of pocket expense on my part? Anyone have some idea what this fix runs? I'm likely to just apply the hack if I'm going to get raked over the coals on this. I like the truck but I've had several annoyances with this thing for sure. This just being the latest one.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just recently picked up a 2019 Ram 1500 used a few months back and now that we are hitting 100 degree temps I really notice that the AC isn't outputting like I was used to in my Highlander. I'm getting 55 degree vent temps. Since I bought this truck used, how does this TSB thing work? Is that an out of pocket expense on my part? Anyone have some idea what this fix runs? I'm likely to just apply the hack if I'm going to get raked over the coals on this. I like the truck but I've had several annoyances with this thing for sure. This just being the latest one.
I have a 19 I bought in February. I’m feeling the heat now that it’s mid 90s with heat index in the 100’s. I did the AC hack and the AC is much better. So that’s more than likely the culprit.

A TSB isn’t like a recall tho, so if it’s out of warranty, you will have to pay. That’s why I’m trying to get it done now.

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Reaction score
You need to read the TSB, check yer Build Date and HVAC design and see if it falls under the TSB. 24-001-20.

AS SAID, TSB not a recall, is Tech Service Bulletin. I had done, but yer truck has to go to Dealership, and there are several checks and things has to be done, before approval. ALSO read TSB, and make sure U make the complaint/s that are listed to help with eligibility to get TSB done. Since I was still in my warranty period, no charge,. BUT it is like a 2 day JOB.

My temps now out vents are 48-50, as opposed to 48-57. A lil better. If U want to get it way down, IMHO, use the hack: Clamp or install Ball Valve in Heater core line and manually turn off, or there are blue tooth ones out there and others that can be used. The thread on the hack has numerous examples.

Good Luck on it.

(see my entries 1020, 1029-31). U have to make the decision to take the chance, cause look in PIC, had to pull out entire HVAC system: Box/Vents/Blowers and also PULL whole dash. SO U have to decide if U want to take the chance, a Personal Choice).

ac1dd

Reaction score
What are your vent temps?

Cold or freezing you out is a relative term depending on the person, how about posting
temps?

However if you are happy with the performance I wouldn't go the TSB route.
How about your wife or children? If they are OK with it, leave well enough alone.

Bluejoe

Reaction score
Hello Members I’m a new registered member. I have a 2019 Ram 2500, 6.4 And having the AC not cooling sufficient issue. It’s been to the dealership last year and mechanic said he pulled ac and it held then recharged system adding dye to check for leaks. He said it held pressure and it was within spec. That day It was a rainy & cool. It was blowing cold air afterwards but outside temp was in the 60s. Now with it being in upper 90s the system needs to be on constantly to keep cab just cool. I know truck falls within the TSB production date. This is a big job and dash has to be removed along with HVAC box. I just don’t want some hack mechanic getting the job and it coming back having other new issues along with missing broken parts. Contemplating trade in for newer much colder 2022 , AC Hack or TSB repair. This truck was a retirement gift for myself. What are the vent temps coming out of the new 2022s ?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not sure about the 2500s, but the Ac hack works good. And yes they have to pull the whole dash to perform the TSB. I haven’t had it done yet, they’re waiting for parts.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Correction: I see 2500s on the TSB. You’ll prob want to get it done before you’re out of warranty.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
OK, SO, TSB done, like a week ago. Have been back to the Dealership twice since. I now have an issue: The remote start works but will not initiate the AC/HEAT setting that U leave set when U leave truck,. IE., the reason for the remote start is voided out. It just not turn on the AC/HEAT when U remote start the truck. Dealership has no idea what is wrong. I was "told" 3 different stories in the last week, they trying to pull the wool over my eyes. (read between lines). Eventually they will do Star case, I think, but doubt there is a solution. I WAS even told, well when U bring in truck for oil change, we will see if these is a BCM update to correct problem.

Users who are viewing this thread