5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/C performance poll

Are you happy with the AC in your truck?

• Ram 1500 No Sunroof - Yes

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • Ram 1500 with Sunroof - Yes

Votes: 27 20.0%
  • Ram 1500 No Sunroof - No

Votes: 23 17.0%
  • Ram 1500 with Sunroof - No

Votes: 29 21.5%
  • Ram 2500 or 3500 No Sunroof - Yes

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Ram 2500 or 3500 with Sunroof - Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ram 2500 or 3500 No Sunroof - No

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Ram 2500 or 3500 with Sunroof - No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Paultg

Reaction score
Seeing a lot of info on the AC system of the 2019+ trucks. Since i have a truck on order and am now a bit nervous I thought I’d create a poll and ask for feedback. Hopefully it doesn’t make me feel worse!
I allowed folks to pick two options since I know some have multiple trucks.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
If your going to order the truck, make sure to get the remote start that works with the Uconnect app. I can start my truck to help precool the cab when I know I'm less than 10 minutes from the truck. It stays locked and even if someone managed to break in you need a Fob to access the truck functions. Another trick is to run the high idle option (CTD, I don't know about the Hemi) at 1200+ rpm while sitting at an idle. Good luck with your choices.

Paultg

Reaction score
If your going to order the truck, make sure to get the remote start that works with the Uconnect app. I can start my truck to help precool the cab when I know I'm less than 10 minutes from the truck. It stays locked and even if someone managed to break in you need a Fob to access the truck functions. Another trick is to run the high idle option (CTD, I don't know about the Hemi) at 1200+ rpm while sitting at an idle. Good luck with your choices.
My truck is on order. I didn’t want the factory NAV which I think is required for the Uconnect remote start. The Laramie does come with key fob remote start and it will have the cooled seats.

When I test drove one it was a really hot day. Dealer started a bighorn, rolls all the windows down for a few mins, and then off we went. It was only a 15min test drive max, and I recall adjusting the fan speed down so I could hear better. I don’t recall thinking the AC was not working. It was so hot that day I would have definitely noticed.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Ram AC has always been the weaker of the other manufactures. I drove an 05 3500 DRW Duradude that would freeze you out even in high ambient temps. But the Ram is adequate in my opinion. Using the Uconnect remote start really helps, now only if I could also remote the high idle feature. :)

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Configuration doesn’t really matter, I and a buddy have owned 4 different configurations of 2019 and 2020 1500’s, and the AC is ill performing in all 4. Just plan on doing the hack if you like cold AC.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In my experience, driving around town, stop and go etc., the AC does not feel powerful enough. When cruising at speed(30+) it works great.
First getting in the truck at the end of the day you also have to cool the entire interior components down too, dash, seats etc. So that has an effect on the load on the ac too

I also have ceramic tint all the way around and it helps keep you feel cooler on the road.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

ldoh

Reaction score
I try to keep an eye on 3rd gen ecodiesel forums but no topics on a/c performance just yet. I can't imagine it performs any better but I guess anything is possible with FCA.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know "cold" is subjective, but once I get past the 5 minute or so "cool down" period of trying to bring a 100+ temp interior to comfortable levels, I just set the auto on 70-72, and I'm happy. I know that some of the trucks are messed up on the AC front, but I think some people also just need to remember this is a big cabin that's possibly filled with all black leather.

Just drove west all day yesterday, so eventually the afternoon sun was through the windshield right on me. Still don't have my windows tinted, so with the auto on 70 and the vents pointed at me I was never uncomfortable. Had to turn off the rear vents because my sons were getting cold.

Last edited:

ldoh

Reaction score
Yep, bigger cabin, window surface, ginormous pano roof, dark interior colors but FCA's hvac gen 5 design and competent computer modeling should take that all into consideration. And even then, road tests should have ferreted out and corrected potential shortcomings early on. I bet FCA's hvac team is young, gets pushed around, and has too much turnover.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think this poll needed an option for 'meh' :) I'm somewhat indifferent. It is not as good as it could be or what other manufacturers have but it is acceptable so far especially with remote start.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think this poll needed an option for 'meh' :) I'm somewhat indifferent. It is not as good as it could be or what other manufacturers have but it is acceptable so far especially with remote start.
^^this. My truck is adequate. Nothing more, nothing less.

As far as the phone app thing, I don't have it for the truck, but I did have a free year for my Charger. That POS app only worked about 50% of the time. When it did work it would often freeze or take several minutes for the command to go thru, negating any benefit of starting the car before you were within range of the fob. It was useless when it was free, I can't imagine paying a monthly fee for it.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I try to keep an eye on 3rd gen ecodiesel forums but no topics on a/c performance just yet. I can't imagine it performs any better but I guess anything is possible with FCA.

My buddies newest 2020 Ram 1500 is a diesel and the AC is the same as his gas limited was.

Bearman95

Reaction score
The AC in my black 2020 Laramie sport 4 x 4 works great here in Fort Worth Texas. It’s always hot here and when the truck has been sitting in the sun for a while being the color black it is definitely hot inside. When I get in it I’ll let the windows down for about five minutes to let all of the hot air out and within another five minutes or so it’s really cool inside.I have no complaints with this truck whatsoever. I purchased it last September. Before anyone asked I do not know what the vent temperatures are and do not care. All I know is that it’s cold inside and the cool seats work great too!

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm pretty satisfied with mine. It's all personal but sometimes I wonder how cold the people who are unsatisfied want it. Maybe it's because I'm southern and we're used to it being hot and humid? When I first get in my truck it obviously has to cool off but it's not unusual for me to have to bump up the temp because I'm cold from the AC. For reference I only use the auto function because I frequently use remote start.

KcRay

Reaction score
I'm pretty satisfied with mine. It's all personal but sometimes I wonder how cold the people who are unsatisfied want it. Maybe it's because I'm southern and we're used to it being hot and humid? When I first get in my truck it obviously has to cool off but it's not unusual for me to have to bump up the temp because I'm cold from the AC. For reference I only use the auto function because I frequently use remote start.
We just want it as cold as it is mechanically capable of being. Its really that simple.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We just want it as cold as it is mechanically capable of being. Its really that simple.

Again, totally personal. If I'm cold and I feel like the AC is functioning properly why do I care if it's not "as cold as mechanically capable"?

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
He’ll I’m not concerned with what it’s mechanically capable of , I just wanted it to blow as cold as every other vehicle I own or have owned!

yellowboy

Reaction score
My old 2007 F150 blew colder on the day I got rid of it a year ago than my 2019 Ram did the day I got it. The F150 was never serviced or recharged. So 13 years later Ram can't get it right ?

Users who are viewing this thread