5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/C not cooling. Low freeon?

Kaiser81

Reaction score
I have a 19 Bighorn. When I start my truck. Not on necnecessarily hot days in iowa. I can sit at idle and the ac will NOT get cold. Even when parked for 10 minutes. Once I start driving it will start to get cold. Other times it will be perfectly fine. Any thoughts? Low freeon? I bought a couple canisters but wanted to get everyone's thoughts. thanks

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 19 Bighorn. When I start my truck. Not on necnecessarily hot days in iowa. I can sit at idle and the ac will NOT get cold. Even when parked for 10 minutes. Once I start driving it will start to get cold. Other times it will be perfectly fine. Any thoughts? Low freeon? I bought a couple canisters but wanted to get everyone's thoughts. thanks
There have been reports of some 19s and 20s that shipped from factory low on refrigerant

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Get yourself a rag and a pair of vise grips. Wrap the heater hose coming from up by the thermostat with the rag then pinch it off with the vise grips. This will block the flow without damaging the hose. See if AC improves. If so, there's a problem with the blend door. If not, good chance you're low on refrigerant.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
When did this start? Have you had the AC redesign TSB done? Try the AC hack first to see if that helps.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yup, try the AC hack first. If it works then your AC itself is fine. It is a problem with having the old blend door system and you will need the TSB done for that.

Users who are viewing this thread