5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A/C may be subpar, but Heat is amazing!

BigD

Reaction score
It's-15 below zero right now in Minnesota. My truck heats up in less than 5 minutes. The heat works so good in my truck I have to ride in a t-shirt or turn it WAY down. Love the level 2 Bighorn with heated seats & steering wheel. Glad I don't have leather. My wife has a 2019 Kia Sorento with leather. Even with heated seats it takes forever to warm up. Her heat doesn't seem to ever get real hot. My truck is like an oven after 10 minutes!! So even though the air conditioning is sub par in these trucks, the heat is amazing. Living in Minnesota I'd choose really good heat over really cold A/C. If I lived down south I'd probably have a different opinion.

NWRogue

Reaction score
I have leather, and the seats heat up in this truck faster than any other vehicle I've owned (cloth or (p)leather). I'm switching from High to Medium setting by the time I get to the end of my street. So, figure 1-2 minutes idle to get the temps up a bit (i have an ED) if below 40 or so and 1/8th mile down the hill to the stop light. If it's below 25 (doesn't happen very often here, maybe twice this winter), the 1-2 minute idle turns into 3-4 minutes but I'm in the house waiting cozy and warm.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have leather, and the seats heat up in this truck faster than any other vehicle I've owned (cloth or (p)leather). I'm switching from High to Medium setting by the time I get to the end of my street. So, figure 1-2 minutes idle to get the temps up a bit (i have an ED) if below 40 or so and 1/8th mile down the hill to the stop light. If it's below 25 (doesn't happen very often here, maybe twice this winter), the 1-2 minute idle turns into 3-4 minutes but I'm in the house waiting cozy and warm.
Same - my leather seats heat up quick. I wish the steering wheel was warmer. The top seems to stay cooler than the bottom. So heat wise we are good - bundled up for winter and turning on the heat I quickly get HOT! Caused me to turn on the AC which did not seem to get cold enough even in the winter. I will wait until summer months to really understand that one.

DennisY

Reaction score
Agreed about the heat. Works almost too well for me. Contrary to what many say about the A/C, mine cools great here in San Diego and also on our mid-summer trips to Palm Springs where it is often 120 degrees! Truck sits out in front of the hotel in full sun all day and yet cools quickly as we head out to dinner. Just amazes me how many people complain about the A/C. It works better than any vehicle I have ever had. Maybe I got lucky.

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
I was thinking about this the other day. The heat is so uncomfortably hot that I have to turn it down to 60° most of the time. Below 60° is Low and feels like the A/C is on. Anything over that it feels like upper 70‘s. That doesn’t seem normal to me and the fan speeds of 1-2 are pretty much non existent. I keep it on level 5 most of the time. Also, the heated steering wheel makes my hand sweat. Would be nice to have alternate levels of warmth like the heated seats.

BigD

Reaction score
I was thinking about this the other day. The heat is so uncomfortably hot that I have to turn it down to 60° most of the time. Below 60° is Low and feels like the A/C is on. Anything over that it feels like upper 70‘s. That doesn’t seem normal to me and the fan speeds of 1-2 are pretty much non existent. I keep it on level 5 most of the time. Also, the heated steering wheel makes my hand sweat. Would be nice to have alternate levels of warmth like the heated seats.
You must live down south? It's-15 below zero with a -35 below zero windchill in Minneapolis right now. I'm loving how hot the heat gets !!

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
You must live down south? It's-15 below zero with a -35 below zero windchill in Minneapolis right now. I'm loving how hot the heat gets !!

Nope. I’m in Michigan. Has been in the single digits to low teens for highs lately. I must run hot lol.

DivingOtter

Reaction score
Y'all come down to Texas in August and lets chat.... By the way, Y'alls weather is down here, drunk and running around raisin' a ruckus. I'm going to need you to come down and get it and bring it home.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
speaking of heat and AC - what are the top vents on top of the driver and passenger air vents? I had the heat set in the 70s yesterday with the fan set to just my feet and there was still air blowing from these 2 top vents. Did not want air blowing in my face dammit LOL! If I turned the thermostat up higher, the air stopped coming out of these vents and I only had heat blowing on my feet as I wanted.

Reverse

Reaction score
The top vents keep your side windows free of condensation etc. so you have a unrestricted view of your outside mirrors.

Users who are viewing this thread