5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

_my 19 Ram had an Electrical fire!!- Pics now uploaded

jdprecour

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I will try to get pictures later but listen to this. I was out litening to a post game show on my ram radio last week, i was sandwiched between my Ram and My wife's car to stay out of the wind ( I was smoking, I don't do that in my truck), i looked over at my passenger mirror and noticed the base closest to the door looked melted, I immediatley looked at my door panel and the leather was shrunk, cracked and a piece was broken off. Only thing i could think of was an electrical fire. I tried all the movements of the mirror and it works fine, I can't test the Heated protion of the mirror. Anyways I will try to take pictures in a little bit. Has anybody else had this problem??

AceDotBoogie

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I will try to get pictures later but listen to this. I was out litening to a post game show on my ram radio last week, i was sandwiched between my Ram and My wife's car to stay out of the wind ( I was smoking, I don't do that in my truck), i looked over at my passenger mirror and noticed the base closest to the door looked melted, I immediatley looked at my door panel and the leather was shrunk, cracked and a piece was broken off. Only thing i could think of was an electrical fire. I tried all the movements of the mirror and it works fine, I can't test the Heated protion of the mirror. Anyways I will try to take pictures in a little bit. Has anybody else had this problem??
Wow!! And no never had that problem

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was expecting to see some serious flames! Good thing not though. But yeah, obviously a wire met with ground somewhere. Should be a pretty simple fix, pending parts can be obtained quickly. I’d call the dealer and tell them to come flatbed the truck and that you don’t want to risk it catching fire traveling to their shop.

jdprecour

Reaction score
Taking it to the shop tomorrow because unfortunately I can't trust a single Ft Worth Ram dealership.

O am curious to see how long it takes for them to get the door panel

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Agree with gliderpilot. This has all the tell-tail signs of being caused by the sun reflecting off something and being magnified.

Keep in mind this can happen from surrounding things not related to the truck, even windows of neighboring buildings.

Smoot178

Reaction score
Agree with gliderpilot. This has all the tell-tail signs of being caused by the sun reflecting off something and being magnified.

Keep in mind this can happen from surrounding things not related to the truck, even windows of neighboring buildings.

It is definitely gotta be this. The plastic on the exterior shows no signs of being heated from the interior of the door. The insulation underneath the leather looks untouched.

Smoot178

Reaction score
Even with the windows tinted?

If you can't find any source of flame or some really burned stuff, not lightly melted, it's gotta be the sun. The outside plastic is solid right? If there was something electrical in the door, you would have holes or soft spots from within the plastic, not just on the outside surface.

I think you just got unlucky man :p

Northeast16SS

Reaction score
The sun thing happened to my last truck. It was a Toyota Tacoma and the sun melted the painted plastic bezel that surrounded the front grill.

Rustydodge

Reaction score

Why don't you think that it is possible this is caused by the sun? Just google "window reflection melting siding"

Outside of a surrounding buildings window I could see this being caused my the exterior chrome window trim combined with the side view mirror and possibly some reflecting of the convex mirror. 3 potentially sources of heat pinpointing one area. It obviously affected the surface of the exterior material only, and the dried out leather surrounding the hole does not look to be evidence of heat/burning from under the door panel, but the surface. The leather would also be much less heat resistant than the exterior plastic, so that explains why the area contacting the glass is melted away. But i've been wrong before.

Is it a UV tint, or just "darkened". Even the factory "privacy tint" on the rear of my durango did nothing to keep UV or heat out. Had to add UV tint over the factory tint. Also if the glass was getting heated as mentioned, that could have melted the leather so the UV tint would not have helped. I actually think certain glass films/tints could increase the glass temperature but i'm not expert there. If the heat isn't allowed in through the film, its got to be reflected/absorbed somewhere.

Last edited:

gliderpilot

Reaction score
Looks almost like someone put a heat gun to it.[/QUOTE]

Yes the largest heat gun in the universe!

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This whole thread is click bait bullcrap.

An electrical fire? WHERE?????

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks almost like someone put a heat gun to it.

So this comment may be on to something because then I remembered this comment below...

Heat guns are common tools when tinting windows - did you thoroughly inspect the tint at each door & frame when taking the truck back from tint? It would take a slob of a tint tech to do something like that, but I’ve seen worse before

... and the tool marks on the glass in the 2nd (interior) image don’t point to craftsmanship

Users who are viewing this thread