5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

95% Ready Potential buyer

MW19RAM1500

Reaction score
Just traded in the wife's 15 Durango for a 18 Pacifica, pros cons whatever she's happy so truck shopping time for me. I was (may still) holding out for the 2020 Ram HD but curious if anyone has towed 9,000 lb or more with the new 1500 etorque. In my mind I'm thinking the etorque initial kick of 130 ft lb torque may make the 5.7 hemi perform similar to a small diesel. Anyone tow a travel trailer yet? Mine is 35 ft, 7700 dry, 820 tongue weight.

Just traded in the wife's 15 Durango for a 18 Pacifica, pros cons whatever she's happy so truck shopping time for me. I was (may still) holding out for the 2020 Ram HD but curious if anyone has towed 9,000 lb or more with the new 1500 etorque. In my mind I'm thinking the etorque initial kick of 130 ft lb torque may make the 5.7 hemi perform similar to a small diesel. Anyone tow a travel trailer yet? Mine is 35 ft, 7700 dry, 820 tongue weight.
Welcome! What are you towing it with now? I would want to be in HD territory for more reasons than the engine with that weight.

Welcome! What are you towing it with now? I would want to be in HD territory for more reasons than the engine with that weight.

Right now it's parked at a permanent camp spot. We had a 24 ft 3700 lb we towed with the Durango, was a white knuckle expierence, not looking to repeat.

When we came back from overseas had to buy a house, furniture for it, family ride, work ride. Turns out during my 12 years overseas trucks got really expensive. Been saving for 3 yrs and finally can afford.

I wish I could give you first hand experience but I wouldn't want to be close to the limits of the 1500 not what was published either but realistic.

As I'd equip limit would be 11,700 for a 1500. Family weight, cargo, and camper would put me at around 9,000. I also plan to trade the camper in for one about 1k less in weight and 5 ft shorter.

As I'd equip limit would be 11,700 for a 1500. Family weight, cargo, and camper would put me at around 9,000. I also plan to trade the camper in for one about 1k less in weight and 5 ft shorter.
Based on my research, the towing capacity won't be the issue, but payload. With family, cargo, and your tongue weight you should be right at the limit if not over on the truck :(

How often would you be pulling it? I wouldn't want to reach my truck limit regularly but if its a dozen times a year I may not worry about it.

Welcome, we have a few ongoing discusions about this in the towing section. 1500s are high on ratings...but real world, the payloads are down and seriously impact that trailer rating.

I am also waiting on the 2500 redesign, but am having numerous wants from the 4th Gen that the 5th Gen might not have.

Deals are pretty good on them right now that also adds to the decision of one more 4th Gen while the 5th Gen gets everything worked out.

If you are hauling your family and cargo I the truck...you may have to go 2500, if your wife will be following you in the pacifica, get the 1500, my 2 cents

Welcome, we have a few ongoing discusions about this in the towing section. 1500s are high on ratings...but real world, the payloads are down and seriously impact that trailer rating.

I am also waiting on the 2500 redesign, but am having numerous wants from the 4th Gen that the 5th Gen might not have.

Deals are pretty good on them right now that also adds to the decision of one more 4th Gen while the 5th Gen gets everything worked out.

If you are hauling your family and cargo I the truck...you may have to go 2500, if your wife will be following you in the pacifica, get the 1500, my 2 cents

Think I've decided on going with a 3500 SRW diesel. Even the 2500 payload gets close. I want to wait for the new Ram but with nothing to tow with today not sure I can wait for the new HDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back