5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8 spd ZF transmission, can it be put into neutral w/o power?

njt07

Reaction score
So I’m looking for my next 10 year vehicle this next year amd I had narrowed them down to the Ram, new Ford, Genesis SUV, and dare I say a BMW X5 45e (plug in hybrid), hey it can go 40 miles on batteries then shifts to hybrid.

I’ve since taken the BMW off the list in part due to what I consider a design flaw, the inability to put it into neutral if it doesnt have power or a few other scenarios.

This topic came up on the BMW forum where a few people got stranded when their X5s lost power, or didnt initiate the start procedure. When this happened, they called roadside assistance, and then found out the X5 wouldn't shift into neutral. They had to either have a special tool after removing an access panel, or have a wrecker with a lojack lift the X5 so dollies could be put under the wheels so it could be pulled up onto the flat bed. One guy’s X5 was just dragged up onto the flat bed, without the wheels turning, after they found out the requisite wreckers weren't available.

With all that said, one of the forum members over there said all ZF transmissions had this flaw/feature. Knowing the new 1500 has a 8 speed ZF, do they still have that little button to shift the transmission to neutral so it can be towed, or is it the same?

njt07

Reaction score
There is an access panel below below the headlight switch with a lever to pop it into neutral, no special tools required. I use it all the time to move my truck in the garage
Thanks, I still dont understand why the heck BMW engineers would remove an easily accessible manual means to put the vehicle in neutral in this situation... The dealer I spoke with acted like it would never happen till I pointed those forum posts to him. He then said those were one off situations lol

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, I still dont understand why the heck BMW engineers would remove an easily accessible manual means to put the vehicle in neutral in this situation... The dealer I spoke with acted like it would never happen till I pointed those forum posts to him. He then said those were one off situations lol
BMW is the Ford of Europe drive nice when they not having problems but they have ALOT of problems;)

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While the transmission may be designed and assembled by ZF, it is up to each manufacturer they supply to provide the design and method for manual disengagement.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 042088 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread