5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8 inch lift

corunn

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering what lift kits have been found that will be an 8 inch lift? I can't find any that aren't super expensive $5000+. Any help?

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
Which one do you think would provide a more stable/better ride?
Do you plan on doing a good amount of off-roading? That would be the only reason to pay extra for the coilovers. On road there shouldn't be much of a difference. The Belltech kits haven't been out long, so you probably won't find any reviews here as of yet.

corunn

Reaction score
Do you plan on doing a good amount of off-roading? That would be the only reason to pay extra for the coilovers. On road there shouldn't be much of a difference. The Belltech kits haven't been out long, so you probably won't find any reviews here as of yet.
We probably spend 30% of our time off roading in Texas. Sounds like the coilovers would be a better buy. Is this what you have on your truck?

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Almost 100% of the time if it’s a kit that’s “adjustable” from say 6”-8” it’s actually a 6” kit but the struts/coilovers/spacers are giving it another 2” and almost acting like a leveling kit on top of a 6” kit, which is why they usually strongly recommend UCAs if you “adjust” them to the upper setting. The scary thing is, BDS for example uses the exact same kit for the 4” and 6” lift, the only difference is spacer size/coilover length, so let’s say you want to make a BDS 6” kit into an 8” kit by adding a spacer on top, you’re basically stretching a 4” kit all the way up to 8”! Because of this, I think your best bet may be to do a 6” lift and then add a 2” body lift that way it’s at least not stressing the suspension more! Just my 2 cents :)

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
We probably spend 30% of our time off roading in Texas. Sounds like the coilovers would be a better buy. Is this what you have on your truck?
Yes, coilovers would be the better option. I'm currently running extended length Fox racing coilovers. Set at 3" lift.

One thing to note is Belltech only has 6" cradle drop lift kits and 6-8" lift kits so the lift geometry is designed around a 6" lift and then uses the adjustable struts or coilovers to add two more inches to the lift.

Last edited:

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Almost 100% of the time if it’s a kit that’s “adjustable” from say 6”-8” it’s actually a 6” kit but the struts/coilovers/spacers are giving it another 2” and almost acting like a leveling kit on top of a 6” kit, which is why they usually strongly recommend UCAs if you “adjust” them to the upper setting. The scary thing is, BDS for example uses the exact same kit for the 4” and 6” lift, the only difference is spacer size/coilover length, so let’s say you want to make a BDS 6” kit into an 8” kit by adding a spacer on top, you’re basically stretching a 4” kit all the way up to 8”! Because of this, I think your best bet may be to do a 6” lift and then add a 2” body lift that way it’s at least not stressing the suspension more! Just my 2 cents :)
That’s not the way engineering is usually done, especially with something that could cause a catastrophic failure and kill people. The engineering will be for the worst possible conditions, or in this case, the tallest lift. Talking with BDS would confirm that.

corunn

Reaction score
Thanks for the great info. Any idea what the best body lift would be for our trucks then?

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Im honestly not too sure but as long as it’s a known brand it should be fine. It’s just metal spacers between the frame and body. You should get one that has relocation brackets for the bumpers and stuff too. And plan on modifying the exhaust slightly to raise it up until the tip openings

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
That’s not the way engineering is usually done, especially with something that could cause a catastrophic failure and kill people. The engineering will be for the worst possible conditions, or in this case, the tallest lift. Talking with BDS would confirm that.
Well BDS doesn’t make an 8” lift for our trucks, 6” is the tallest. So making their 6” into an 8” lift is beyond what they engineered it for, so my point is still true

Users who are viewing this thread