5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8.4” non nav to 8.4” nav

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm sure it can be done, but why? Just plug your phone in and use Google Maps/Waze/Apple Maps for free on the 8.4 screen.

You can even download maps in Google Maps for use offline if cell signal is a concern.

Rustin5

Reaction score
I honestly just want it to be able to change themes on the displays and have the gloss black bezel. Not really interested in the nav function, and don’t really care for the 12” screen

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ah, ok. Android Auto certainly won't do that for you, lol! Not sure if it's simple plug & play to swap in the shiny nav unit or if there is any kind of programming (like adding your VIN to the unit or having to use AlfaOBD to enable the themes in the cluster). Hopefully someone who's done it will chime in.

Here's everything you need with instructions. Not cheap!

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I understand the gloss black bezel, makes the whole screen look larger and better for sure, it's the only reason why I insisted on it on my truck, the factory NAV is barely serviceable compared to Google maps.

I wonder if you can get the bezel wrapped instead?

Rustin5

Reaction score
Not sure if you already have the w/nav radio but someone was selling one on here. Link below...

I saw this post that’s actually what made me consider it! Looks like at minimum I’ll need an lvds cable, and some sort of programming. Infotainment has a proprietary connected as it appears this unit as additional plug I don’t have. May have to call them to talk it though

Rustin5

Reaction score
I understand the gloss black bezel, makes the whole screen look larger and better for sure, it's the only reason why I insisted on it on my truck, the factory NAV is barely serviceable compared to Google maps.

I wonder if you can get the bezel wrapped instead?
I haven’t considered that. I wasn’t sure if it would be able to separated in order to make it look right. Thanks for the idea

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I haven’t considered that. I wasn’t sure if it would be able to separated in order to make it look right. Thanks for the idea
Absolutely, take it to a good shop, they are likely to have methods to get it done correctly.

However, here is a link for one for sale on Ebay, if you check the pics, the one that shows the back side look like it can be unscrewed and separated pretty easily, though not sure.

Here is the whole center section without the screen, the backside pics show more detail...

Users who are viewing this thread