5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

7x16 Cargo Trailer - no WD hitch needed?

ADJS

Reaction score
Good evening all!

The most I've towed previously is a 5x8 v nose cargo trailer with 880 lbs in it. Roughly 1850 lbs total weight trailer included.

I recently purchased some extra gear and needed a bigger trailer.

I'm looking at purchasing a dual axel 7x16 trailer with electronic breaks.

The dealer at the trailer shop said he's never heard of anybody using a WD hitch on a 7x16 ft trailer.

Am I crazy for thinking I would want and or need one?

Overestimating, I will be putting 2500 lbs of cargo in the trailer. Possibly a bit more a few years from now.

Trailer Info:
Floor Length: 16.00 ft (not including V nose)
Width: 7.00 ft
Height: 7.00 ft
Weight: 2540.00 lbs
GVWR: 7000.00 lbs
Payload Capacity: 4460 lbs

I need to update my signature.
I have a 2019 Laramie 1500 4x4 Crew Cab V8 no eTorque with the 3.92 rear end and hard tonneau cover.

Thoughts, comments, questions and concerns would be greatly appreciated. :)

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most of the time it's not required, nor are the necks on those trailers made to accept that kind of hitch. Do you know the tongue weight of the trailer? You can estimate the % of tongue weight the trailer naturally has, and calculate the new tongue weight when loaded using that percentage. Then you'll be able to estimate if you'd have too much weight on the rear axle or not. But, like I said, generally not used, nor are the trailers made to accept the WDH

ADJS

Reaction score
Most of the time it's not required, nor are the necks on those trailers made to accept that kind of hitch. Do you know the tongue weight of the trailer? You can estimate the % of tongue weight the trailer naturally has, and calculate the new tongue weight when loaded using that percentage. Then you'll be able to estimate if you'd have too much weight on the rear axle or not. But, like I said, generally not used, nor are the trailers made to accept the WDH

Assuming a 5040 lb trailer the tongue weight should be around 605 lbs. (@ 12% tongue weight)

I almost forgot. Thats another thing I noticed. It looked like the tongue on the trailer didn't have enough room for one.

Does anybody recommend air bags (lease friendly ones) that can be used to reduce squat?

Also, with my last trailer, I couldn't open the tailgate because it would hit the trailer jack. Is this avoidable in some way?

Thank you or your response @riccnick . I appreciate it!

rceagle1a

Reaction score
Assuming a 5040 lb trailer the tongue weight should be around 605 lbs. (@ 12% tongue weight)

I almost forgot. Thats another thing I noticed. It looked like the tongue on the trailer didn't have enough room for one.

Does anybody recommend air bags (lease friendly ones) that can be used to reduce squat?

Also, with my last trailer, I couldn't open the tailgate because it would hit the trailer jack. Is this avoidable in some way?

Thank you or your response @riccnick . I appreciate it!
Careful mentioning airbags here, some get grouchy and touchy about them.

ADJS

Reaction score
Thank you for the heads up @rceagle1a.

Im not sure of any other way to reduce squat so everything rides as close to level as possible.

I could be overthinking and over worrying about it as well.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With only 600 lbs of tongue weight, squat shouldn't be an issue. People tend to over dramatize the issue of squat. There's really only two times squat is bad. One is when you're overloaded, and the other is if there is no payload, yet still squat. Other than that, squat is simply a verification that gravity still works.

Users who are viewing this thread