5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

$700 clear coat

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Clear coat is a thing for some dealers, yes, its a cheap version of clear coat Si02 similar to spray on versions you can buy online. They add it as a 'paint sealant'. Like wax, but a little longer, 2-4 months of protection. Ask them to specify what it is exactly, or if it's a PPF Paint Protection Film package.

It never replaces the performance of PPF for scratches and rocks, but helps with keeping the vehicle clean by filling in the pores of the paint, creating it's just waxed look, and if you plan on getting real ceramic coatings (SiO2) that last for 3-6 years like I am, you don't need the clear coat unless it will be a few months before adding real protection or if you plan to wax every 3rd wash.

You can skip the clear coat if you plan to get PPF done as soon as you buy it, and if you want to do SiO2 ceramic coating, its well worth it to spend the money and get both. I did my 07 after a full detail 4 years ago still glossy like new paint was just waxed , and it washes in 1/3 the time. Wipe it down and looks like new.

The plan on my new Rebel is PPF the headlights and the full hood (don't like the line, and use the snow brush every winter) , full front fenders, bottom 10 inches on doors/rockers to the back. Full Tailgate as rocks like to rebound off the trailers, and get the door cups, ram box edges done, inside the door kick plate areas where you get in and out a must, and while I am at it, a piece on the 12" infotainment screen. The rest in Si02 ceramic coating. Then ceramic tint 35 all the way around and a 5% brow.

Make sure you get the PPF or company decals, stickers, installed first, then the ceramic coating afterwards, as good SiO2 is so hydrophobic that your PPF or decals will not stick very well to the paint surface and will begin to peel in a short time. Add the ceramic coating afterwards to all the non PPF areas.

Note that SiO2 professional application will cost more on dark colored vehicles, as there is more prep time and polishing involved in making getting the factory abnormalities and micro scratches out of the paint. Black is the worst , most expensive, but also is the most noticeable when you get it done; you will be thankful when you realize you only have to wash a third of the time, and the mud doesn't stick.

You can do SiO2 applications yourself, but be prepared to take your time to power polish (yes even off the lot there are micro scratches) , and the application process is delicate, and if not done right, will show high spots on the paint that will look terrible, especially on a dark color, and quite frankly is a pain in the *** to buff out.

Comparison
Attached shows a couple of 19 Rams done with a professional Si02 ceramic coating.
View attachment 115331 View attachment 115332
I just dropped mine off for this. My only experience with ceramic coatings is when the dealer sold me a “10yr coating” that was applied in 3hrs and I drove home the same day. I didn’t realize until yesterday that a good coating takes several days to fully cure. My detailer wants 4 days of my truck sitting in his warehouse for curing.

truckless

Reaction score
You won't notice how many rocks bounce off that part of the hood, and it will save the paint. Self heals in the sun. Its good to have it.
And if they are adding PPF from a local tint shop rather than in house, expect that they will mark it up substantially.

My wife's Jeep has a factory film. That said, I am curious what warranty the film has cause it is ****! The day we picked it up edges were lifted and dirt underneath. I brought it up but they said "U you can just peel back to where it is clean and trim"....uh no! I don't want the lines looking like some kindergartner did it. But....my wife's vehicle. Ultimately her say....so she made me drop it.

I would rather have taken it to a place in Edmonton. I decided to support my local small town guy.....would have been an ugly mistake if I had not got it all redone as a warranty job right before selling the truck in Sept. To put it into perspective, there was HAIR under my film.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine came as a dealer install option and i was on the fence about it but couldn't get it remove from the deal. Instead i got my trade in increased by half the cost of it. The way i read it, it helps protect the paint from stuff like bird dropping, and such things but the work was only warranty for the 1st year if i remember correctly

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I just dropped mine off for this. My only experience with ceramic coatings is when the dealer sold me a “10yr coating” that was applied in 3hrs and I drove home the same day. I didn’t realize until yesterday that a good coating takes several days to fully cure. My detailer wants 4 days of my truck sitting in his warehouse for curing.
this is what I am getting next week Jan 26 told they need it until sat the 29th
hope it turn out great

Users who are viewing this thread