5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6x9 to 8 inch

Pimenteljoe

Reaction score
Hey guys well I’m curious if it’s possible, is it even doable to put in 8 inch speakers into the area of the 2019 Dodge Ram Limited.

The speakers I’ll use are Hertz SPL mids or woofers.

Now the both have a mounting depth of 2.5 to 3.3

I also know that I’ll need to use a custom bracket. But I just wanted to know if it’s even possible? Please let me know

So my real question is, is there enough room from the door panel that will not interfere with the speaker and have enough space for modifications.

Last edited:

RichInMN

Reaction score
Possible, doable, done it 😄. Plenty of space in there both in front and behind the speaker, and very easy to trim the panels up; they're like soft pvc. I would say mounting depth is just under 3.75" (that's with a 3/8" speaker plate). The speaker plates had to be a very specific shape to work, but that part was not too bad, I just used a paper template.

1673502170799.png 1673502219093.png

Last edited:

Pimenteljoe

Reaction score
Possible, doable, done it 😄. Plenty of space in there both in front and behind the speaker, and very easy to trim the panels up; they're like soft pvc. I would say mounting depth is just under 3.75" (that's with a 3/8" speaker plate). The speaker plates had to be a very specific shape to work, but that part was not too bad, I just used a paper template.

View attachment 148584 View attachment 148585
did you install 8 inch speakers in yours ?

Pimenteljoe

Reaction score
Those are the 8's in my pic... also in my sig 😄
how much of the door did you have to modify and did you have to modify the door panel, cause i would like to be able to retain everything factory and not have to hack up door panels and door trim and all.

RichInMN

Reaction score
how much of the door did you have to modify and did you have to modify the door panel, cause i would like to be able to retain everything factory and not have to hack up door panels and door trim and all.
You can't fit a 8" circle into a 6x9" hole without cutting the panels - why did you even start this conversation? :ROFLMAO:

You want to keep everything stock? Buy 6x9's or downsize to 6" or 5.25" rounds.

Pimenteljoe

Reaction score
You can't fit a 8" circle into a 6x9" hole without cutting the panels - why did you even start this conversation? :ROFLMAO:

You want to keep everything stock? Buy 6x9's or downsize to 6" or 5.25" rounds.
I was only curious about how much you had to modify the door, in order to fit it. cause your picture which is very helpful does not show how much was modified. and just a side note. did you do anything to the door panel?
just in my build, I want to keep everything stealth and not reveal anything.

RichInMN

Reaction score
I was only curious about how much you had to modify the door, in order to fit it. cause your picture which is very helpful does not show how much was modified. and just a side note. did you do anything to the door panel?
just in my build, I want to keep everything stealth and not reveal anything.
The outer door panel doesn't need any alteration so long as the speaker and speaker plate are shaped and placed precisely - there's no indication to a casual observer that the speakers have been upgraded underneath. The inner panels will all need quite a bit cut out of them (see pic for an example).

With something like this, you have to ask yourself whether you are willing and have the confidence to make irreversible changes / cut apart your vehicle. For me it isn't a big deal to do this type of thing, and I'll have this truck for a long time - but everyone's different. Good luck to you.

1673649027793.png

Pimenteljoe

Reaction score
The outer door panel doesn't need any alteration so long as the speaker and speaker plate are shaped and placed precisely - there's no indication to a casual observer that the speakers have been upgraded underneath. The inner panels will all need quite a bit cut out of them (see pic for an example).

With something like this, you have to ask yourself whether you are willing and have the confidence to make irreversible changes / cut apart your vehicle. For me it isn't a big deal to do this type of thing, and I'll have this truck for a long time - but everyone's different. Good luck to you.

View attachment 148769
Perfect thanks dude, this is what I was wanting to see, and I have no problems doing any type of modification to my truck. As at some
Point I’ll just make 6x9 plates to put back in the factory speakers.

On that note, did you run all new wires or did you get a t harness and get speaker adapters to install the 8 inch speakers?

RichInMN

Reaction score
Perfect thanks dude, this is what I was wanting to see, and I have no problems doing any type of modification to my truck. As at some
Point I’ll just make 6x9 plates to put back in the factory speakers.

On that note, did you run all new wires or did you get a t harness and get speaker adapters to install the 8 inch speakers?
I ran 10 gauge OFC to all the doors, and let me tell you - it was a major pain, the rubber sleeves connecting the door to the body are TIGHT - there was a lot of swearing involved! :ROFLMAO: In the end, took over an hour just to pull the wires out to the doors. In addition, had to drill out the wire plugs where they clip in to the body of the truck. If you're running high power amps and premium speakers it's probably worth the effort though!

1673663556606.png 1673663578831.png 1673663611523.png

Pimenteljoe

Reaction score
I ran 10 gauge OFC to all the doors, and let me tell you - it was a major pain, the rubber sleeves connecting the door to the body are TIGHT - there was a lot of swearing involved! :ROFLMAO: In the end, took over an hour just to pull the wires out to the doors. In addition, had to drill out the wire plugs where they clip in to the body of the truck. If you're running high power amps and premium speakers it's probably worth the effort though!

View attachment 148788 View attachment 148789 View attachment 148790
awsome very helpful, are you using the Pac AmpPRO

Users who are viewing this thread