5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6000 miles (just shy of) with around 2500 towing. Still love the truck , some issues might be developing.

cw_mi

Reaction score
First off, still love my truck. The only things I would change doing it over again would be a different color, 22" wheels and limited slip instead of the elocker. Other than that , I wouldn't change a thing.
So far, I really haven't gotten the mileage I see many here getting. My best has been 17 ish, and towing a #3000 load I'll get between 12-14... yeah, not sure why the big spread there is. Also, MDS will not kick in anywhere over 50-55 mph.
I don't have air ride, it is a crew cab , 6.4 box and 3:92 gears, standard hemi. All factors I'm sure that contribute to the low mileage.
This past weekend though I've notice what could be some possible issues. It might have been there since I've picked the truck up but noticed it more this last trip because I was in stop and go traffic while towing. There seems to be an off idle shudder in between the 1-2 shift. Feels driveline related. Second, in the higher gears I've noticed some surging, mostly after letting off the throttle and trying to regain speed without downshifting. Just light pressure on the pedal to recover lost speed.

2wd

Reaction score
You wish you had 22's or currently have them and wish you didn't?

I'm super happy with my 18's. I love lots of rubber and sidewall with plain rims. Rugged.

My older truck had a locker, my Ram has a LSD. I like them both - can't decide which I like more.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Shudder has a TSB which the dealer fixed for me.

I have 22’s and would have preferred 20’s.

Why did you want the L S vs E locker?

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I posted something about it a while back but I just told them Im had a shudder in the 2-1 downshift and the receipt had a TSB on it. I’ll try to find it.
This might be it:
“TSB 21-005-19 Rev B (Software enhancement for low pedal kick-down bump and coast down shift). I just got this flash yesterday.

My 3-2 shift was noticeable but my 2-1 shifts were abrupt and sometimes harsh. If I was coasting (~5 MPH) and the light turned green I would give it a little gas and it would slam into 1st and go.”

Last edited by a moderator:

cw_mi

Reaction score
You wish you had 22's or currently have them and wish you didn't?

I'm super happy with my 18's. I love lots of rubber and sidewall with plain rims. Rugged.

My older truck had a locker, my Ram has a LSD. I like them both - can't decide which I like more.

I like the style of the 22's better than my current 20's

cw_mi

Reaction score
All my trucks have always had l/s, guess it just feels weird with an open wheeler. the E lock does me no good if I can only use it under 20mph.

I have not gotten the truck to the dealer yet

CamsRam

Reaction score
My truck is configured similarly to yours. I have a Black Crew Cab, 6.4 Bed, 3.92 gears, 5.7 Hemi Laramie Sport 4x4. I have the 22" wheels though. I wish I had the limited slip.

I have just over 3000 miles on my truck and I am stating to see tanks where I get 17 mpg. That is with a little more highway driving and trying to stay below 80 mph.

So I don't think your mileage is that far off of mine. My MDS comes on, but it almost always goes off as soon as I hit even a slight grade.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
MDS will only stay on either coasting off throttle or light constant throttle, anything that requires power and it will immediately pull out of MDS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/