5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6 weeks into my new truck and it gets wrecked

Vettnman

Reaction score
Had the family with me sunday. Only had this loaded laramie for 6 weeks. 2300 miles. Loved the truck but honestly, I hope its totaled. Doubt it is but we'll see. Approached a intersection in the country and there was a vehicle on both sides at stop signs. I came off the gas for a sec to make sure they were staying and then proceeded on. Van on the right pulled right across the intersection directly in front of me. Fairly sure I beat the trucks front avoidance braking. I'm sick about the whole thing. Took the adjuster till today to answer my call.

TexasDrone

Reaction score
Horrible. Just glad everyone is ok. Hopefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vettnman

Reaction score
Wife has some pain as do I. Thank God my 6 year old daughter came out ok except for being scared

Vettnman

Reaction score
Guessing 15 to 20k. Most of the impact was on the passenger side front so I'm concerned theres frame damage right in front of the doors

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Guessing 15 to 20k. Most of the impact was on the passenger side front so I'm concerned theres frame damage right in front of the doors

Glad you're alright man!

But if I had to guess? I think what the damage is mostly to the "splayed frame rails" which were designed to take the crushing to avoid transmitting the force to the occupants. Those pieces that popped out, also dissipating energy in the process.
IIRC I read somewhere that the way Ram designed the front of the trucks? It was designed to keep us safe AND be easier to repair than other designs.

I'm not in your shoes, and I did not go through what you went through, BUT
If you're "stuck" with your truck? If they check it out and figure it's repairable?
In your shoes, hypothetically? I'd like my odds.
It looks to me like the robust design, performed as designed.
The truck laid down its beauty for my safety, and I'd keep the thing forever, loyal to that old warhorse.

But that's me!

And I'd be absolutely furious about that f**king moron who SAW me and my truck, with right of way, pulling out of a stopsign like a crayon eating moron.

Vettnman

Reaction score
Glad you're alright man!

But if I had to guess? I think what the damage is mostly to the "splayed frame rails" which were designed to take the crushing to avoid transmitting the force to the occupants. Those pieces that popped out, also dissipating energy in the process.
IIRC I read somewhere that the way Ram designed the front of the trucks? It was designed to keep us safe AND be easier to repair than other designs.

I'm not in your shoes, and I did not go through what you went through, BUT
If you're "stuck" with your truck? If they check it out and figure it's repairable?
In your shoes, hypothetically? I'd like my odds.
It looks to me like the robust design, performed as designed.
The truck laid down its beauty for my safety, and I'd keep the thing forever, loyal to that old warhorse.

But that's me!

And I'd be absolutely furious about that f**king moron who SAW me and my truck, with right of way, pulling out of a stopsign like a crayon eating moron.
Thx Chad. Theres so many sensors and cameras and collision radar and all the other stuff that I wonder if , even when repaired, if all that stuff will be bugging me the whole time I have it. Honestly, ifbthey do fix it, I may just turn around and sell it. Already told the adjuster that I will be looking for depreciation to be included as the settlement. I'm not going to lose 8-10 k on value and resale because their client didnt look or somehow just didnt see me. Not what I wanted 6 weeks into a brand new truck. Thankfully the family is safe although my wife is still in a bit of pain as am I. Driving a 19 warlock right now and it's nowhere close to the ride or power of my truck. Guessing it has 3:21 gears to my 3:92

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Already told the adjuster that I will be looking for depreciation to be included as the settlement. I'm not going to lose 8-10 k on value and resale because their client didnt look or somehow just didnt see me. Not what I wanted 6 weeks into a brand new truck.

Adjuster does nothing with depreciation. Whole other insurance entity. Getting documented proof of depreciated value will be task harder than you think.
I was involved in a fender, both driver side doors and a touch of the bed accident caused by a fella making a right turn out of a burger joint as I was occupying the small piece of road.

ABE21CE9-CEA4-4798-9DB1-F2DC32C29088.jpeg 37D1397F-5555-4DFA-9133-9E79651FB99B.jpeg
Not quite 7000 miles, almost $9,000 in repairs. Patriot blue paint work was more expensive than both of the OEM doors.
I called 8 different car dealers and all of them gave me their best guess, ($1500 to $6500), but would not put a number on paper I could send to the insurance rep.

After almost 6 weeks, I found a used car dealer here in town that gave me a number on their letterhead I sent in and got a check for $2000. I feel it was low, but it was something.

keep cool, don’t show an attitude as to what you will or will not take for you loss. The nicer and humbled you come across will work to your advantage.

take care, been there and it sucks!

Last edited:

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Amazingly enough, they totaled the truck. Said the total collective price would total it. So now I'm just waiting for a offer
Yes, it's sad that your new truck is gone, but I still call this good news. Nothing ever comes out of the body shop as good as new. Ever. Even if it was something minor and they did a good job matching the paint, the new paint will still fade differently than the original.

derp

Reaction score
well OP, you outlasted me, I only made it to 2050 miles before I got my trip to the body shop.

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Amazingly enough, they totaled the truck. Said the total collective price would total it. So now I'm just waiting for a offer
I know most frown upon it but hopefully you had GAP insurance as it’ll get you out free and clear of any balance remaining after insurance short changes you on the value of the truck. I usually never take it but had it on my wife’s Cruze that the neighbors tree fell onto. Paid 29K was 3 months old with less than 2K miles and insurance paid 18K and thankfully GAP made up the difference. Hopefully all works out for you and glad y’all are okay.

spaightlabs

Reaction score
What? They pay you out value to get a new truck.

Negative Ghost Rider.

Gap pays the difference between what you owe and the value of the vehicle...

You put 1000 down and leave the lot. Truck depreciates from $50,000 to $30,000 as you drive off the lot and you get t-boned a block from the dealership. You have a gap.

You put $25,000 down, same scenario. You are right side up by $5000, no gap.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sure glad we have depreciated value here in Canada, I always get it cost me about $20 a year on my insurance good for 3 years so if you get a 70K truck and it's wrote off they give you 70K.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
Negative Ghost Rider.

Gap pays the difference between what you owe and the value of the vehicle...

You put 1000 down and leave the lot. Truck depreciates from $50,000 to $30,000 as you drive off the lot and you get t-boned a block from the dealership. You have a gap.

You put $25,000 down, same scenario. You are right side up by $5000, no gap.

You get t-boned a block from the dealership you either get a repaired truck or the value to buy a like vehicle. The value to buy a like vehicle would be the same cost you just paid, fees and taxes included. You will not lose trade in or down payment money. He would be made whole when all said and done. That's like saying he put down 80% for down payment and insurance only pays him out the 20%.

Users who are viewing this thread