5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6 to 5 lug swap

Bctexascrazy1

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has converted their 5th gen from 6 lug to 5 lug and what was involved. I’m wanting a certain rim for my truck and only offer in 5 lug configuration and I’m not big on doing wheel adapters or spacers. Will axles from a 4th gen swap right over or are the axles different from 4th to 5th gen?

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yea just to get a certain wheel would be an excessive cost. Thier are 100's of 6 lug wheel styles available, I would choose another one.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
And thinking about resale. I would never buy a truck where the amount of lugnut is different then the oem, that's a huge red flag imo.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has converted their 5th gen from 6 lug to 5 lug and what was involved. I’m wanting a certain rim for my truck and only offer in 5 lug configuration and I’m not big on doing wheel adapters or spacers. Will axles from a 4th gen swap right over or are the axles different from 4th to 5th gen?
I have no idea, but you might want to look at 4th gen forums to see if anyone has swapped to 5th gen axles to be able to use 6 lug wheels. You base your work on what they had to do for the swap. I'd think that would be a more popular swap than what you're wanting to do. Not that I've read any threads about that in any other Ram forums I visit. But it's worth looking if you're that set on those specific wheels.

Bctexascrazy1

Reaction score
Well not only is it a certain wheel, I also already have a set on welds in 5 lug pattern for when I go to the track. I don’t give a $hit bout resale, it’s paid off and got enough money in it as is. Y’all act like the job of doing it is like doing an engine overhaul, just got to find five lug axles and just on both the diff cover. Take the axle clamps out and pins and a slide right out. You don’t even have to mess with opinion or bearings or nothing put the cover back on and fill fluid in the France all you gotta do is have different drums, but I’m converting it from being a lifted 4 x 4 to lowered street truck. Just curious if anybody has done the swap before ?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
To me it would be easier to just buy new welds for your race tires in a 6 lug. Hope you find your answers tho

Bctexascrazy1

Reaction score
check the spline count for starters, and you'll know.
That’s what I was curious about, was also know the length of axles are same. I checked with Mopar parts and the axles definitely have two different part numbers, but doesn’t state what the difference is. That’s why I was just curious if anybody’s had axles out of both of these. And the measurements of them I don’t have my fourth gym no more so I couldn’t pull the axle out and measure it.

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You'd probably have to swap calipers too. Considering that the 5th gen rotors are much bigger than the 4th gen.

Plus tho, you'd be able to run 17's so get more meat on the tires 🤷‍♂️

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i dunno why would anyone do that especially when getting new wheels is a lot more easier than messing with the axles, splines, diffs.
but if you know how to do it and think it's easy... do it and report back the result?

Users who are viewing this thread