5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6 mpg better than Hemi in C&G tests

DavidNJ

Reaction score
In simple dollars-and-cents thinking, that's true. As VernDiesel points out, the economics are there for someone who uses the truck to make a living. But the facts are, Americans usually buy what they want, not what they need. A lot of people buy 4WD because they want it, but never actually use it. Who actually needs a panoramic sunroof in a pickup truck? Leather seats? Air suspension? 12" screen? Two-tone paint? Electric running boards? Clearly, economic justification is completely out the window for probably 80% of the options people choose. It's want, not need, with no regard to any legitimate economic justification

Why can't people get it through their heads that engine option is, for the majority of buyers, JUST ANOTHER OPTION THEY WANT.

Actually, the air suspension and 4-link rear are huge advances of the Ram 1500 over the competition. People pay $10k or more to have them installed on other brands or on 3500s in the aftermarket.

I don't care for a panoramic sunroof, but I do like a sunroof to vent the interior on hot days.

Where the Ram 1500 really falls flat is on towing support. Others have real full featured towing mirrors with cameras everywhere...even the Ram HD. But not the Ram 1500. Disappointing. Very disappointing.

That said, the new Ram diesel is not quite as good as the GM diesel...less power, no J-brake. By using a straight 6 GM was able to reduce their production costs (1 cylinder head instead of 2, 2 cams with variable timing instead of 4, etc.) to add those features. That is probably why they also have a lower price, $3k vs $5k. The trouble is the Ram is the better truck.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agreed, the new duramax motor is probably going to be wild. Curious to see what all aftermarket stuff comes out for them based on the EPA nonsense that’s going on.

But, IMO, the new GM truck itself is garbage.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agreed, the new duramax motor is probably going to be wild. Curious to see what all aftermarket stuff comes out for them based on the EPA nonsense that’s going on.

But, IMO, the new GM truck itself is garbage.
If you're interested in aftermarket equipment & tunes for diesels, listen to The Truck Show Podcast episode 88. The first segment of the show is about diesel emissions in the modern era.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea I’ve heard it. I’m all for it, the reason I’m not driving a compound Cummins or duramax now is because I don’t want the smell and smoke. Although DuramaxTuner has done some impressive stuff, it’s not mainstream enough yet. But it’s coming, and it should be legit.

brody.cepeaux

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight on the 2nd Gen ED.

Do you know anything about the 3rd Gen?
No I left chrysler in the spring. Couldn’t handle the inferior products anymore. So many problems with every new refreshed / redesigned vehicle. Happy that I left at that time.

Def systems will always have issues and really they are way worse on the environment. Only an ignorant government would force manufacturers to use technology that was banned in Europe. It’s a lost battle with the diesels. It’s why I sold my Cummins truck. The emissions systems are awful and a never ending money pit

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As long as FCA redoes the new diesel “right”, there were too many major issues with the first two years engines. Id have thought that the engineers could have designed a robust motor, must be the bean counters that messed it up. Course theres crappy designs like the Ford 6.0 and 6.4 that get all the way to market... So while the 6.0 can be made a good motor by “bulletproofing”, it wasnt designed and built that way.

Posters who mod and tune their gen 1 ecodiesels in order to make them run and last are doing what they can to re-engineer a motor that should not have been released to the buyer by FCA in the first place.

Bravo that theres still a few running well but all those deletes and tunes are not an option for most, especially in a tightly controlled emissions area.

While I’d sure like a quiet, 30 mpg highway mileage engine as well, I don't trust engineering and marketing to get it right, not in the 150/1500 series trucks from the domestic companies, there hasn't been one built right so far.

RAMpage

Reaction score
I'm happy I ditched the ED and went back to the 5.7. While I loved the ED at first (except for the lag driving it around town), it didn't take long before it was in the shop every other week. Then once the software update made it even slower I knew it was time to jump ship.
This time I went with the 5.7 and the large tank. With the ED I was able to get around 1000km per tank all highway on long drives, so the 5.7 with the large tank should get about the same. Yes, will consume more fuel but it's also cheaper than diesel usually here, so evens out.
Would I ever buy a 1500 with a diesel again? Maybe. Would have to be a completely new design however and not that Fiat 3.0. Would prob just get a 2500 diesel if I truly want a diesel again. Might as well get the real thing... especially since the ED option costs more now than it did when I got mine (I paid around $1500 more than the 5.7 at the time for the 2015). I heard it's around $7K now in Canada?

bgmshrm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm happy I ditched the ED and went back to the 5.7. While I loved the ED at first (except for the lag driving it around town), it didn't take long before it was in the shop every other week. Then once the software update made it even slower I knew it was time to jump ship.
This time I went with the 5.7 and the large tank. With the ED I was able to get around 1000km per tank all highway on long drives, so the 5.7 with the large tank should get about the same. Yes, will consume more fuel but it's also cheaper than diesel usually here, so evens out.
Would I ever buy a 1500 with a diesel again? Maybe. Would have to be a completely new design however and not that Fiat 3.0. Would prob just get a 2500 diesel if I truly want a diesel again. Might as well get the real thing... especially since the ED option costs more now than it did when I got mine (I paid around $1500 more than the 5.7 at the time for the 2015). I heard it's around $7K now in Canada?
Diesel where I live is the same or less than gas right now .

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Fiat doesn’t build the Ecodiesel anymore than they do the Hemi or Ram truck which is to say not at all. FCA just now wholly owns VM Motori the same as they now own Ram. The new Ecodiesel engine is 80 percent new parts. Same excellent CGI block like what Cummins now went to New heads intake pistons etc etc. BTW 2nd gen diesel has always been a $2,600 upgrade over the Hemi. 3rd gen is a $3k upgrade and the Cummins up to 10k over the Hemi in the HDs.

If you need a heavy duty truck and a diesel you should get one. If not to buy one because you think you will be cool in a diesel and had no need for a diesel light duty or heavy duty you will again most likely be disappointed in your purchase. Think right tool for the job. I bought mine to take advantage of the ED as I tow moderate loads regularly and put on big mileage and had no issues with its government dictated emissions as I don’t do short trip commute in a cold climate as example. I’d buy another for my use. 371,000 miles on my first one before governmental dictated and rushed to market EGR cooler failure took its tool. 292,000 on my second still getting 30 Hwy unloaded with tune.

rescueswimmer

Reaction score
2020 eco diesel ordering is now open at dealerships . Tradesman up to limited .

4995.00 Upgrade from the standard motor, So with my "Maths" is should be 3500.00 over the Hemi and 3300.00 over the ETorque.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In simple dollars-and-cents thinking, that's true. As VernDiesel points out, the economics are there for someone who uses the truck to make a living. But the facts are, Americans usually buy what they want, not what they need. A lot of people buy 4WD because they want it, but never actually use it. Who actually needs a panoramic sunroof in a pickup truck? Leather seats? Air suspension? 12" screen? Two-tone paint? Electric running boards? Clearly, economic justification is completely out the window for probably 80% of the options people choose. It's want, not need, with no regard to any legitimate economic justification

Why can't people get it through their heads that engine option is, for the majority of buyers, JUST ANOTHER OPTION THEY WANT.

EXACTLY. My gosh. If these people need to count pennies over the span of 100,000 miles, they probably need to re-consider if they should be buying a new vehicle at all.

bgmshrm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
EXACTLY. My gosh. If these people need to count pennies over the span of 100,000 miles, they probably need to re-consider if they should be buying a new vehicle at all.
Some people actually use there vehicle for work and might keep there truck for 500k . Just because they want some luxuries doesn't mean they don't need 6mpg better.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Some people actually use there vehicle for work and might keep there truck for 500k . Just because they want some luxuries doesn't mean they don't need 6mpg better.
Hard to discuss wants vs needs when it can vary from season to season or application to application. Now I’d agree that the pano wasnt necessary and the air suspension does little to change the ride from what I can tell. Heck its probably still a liability for really cold temps as people have written about. The motor choices, well, if I towed 5-8K on a regular basis over passes then it could be a better choice than the hemi.

I do agree that we can make the case for any or none, it all depends on how long you will own the truck, how it is used, if others are riding in it (ahem, spouse) and of course cost. Then theres resale. A Florida owner vs a North Dakotan will greatly differ on 4x4. A truck with 33 gallon, trailer mirrors and 3.92 would be about required up in Wyoming and Idaho country due to the expected usage. To not have a truck properly equipped could significantly reduce its resale, so even if you dont tow and it sits in the garage in the winter, you may still order it differently than you “need” just for resale.

Narg

Reaction score
Lot of bad math here. If you have the 33 gallon tank, it would take just over 30 mpg to get 1000 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread