5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6-Month Impressions & Review of a 2022 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Curley

Reaction score
Review Date: 15 November 2022
Vehicle Delivery Date: 30 April 2022
Mileage: 17,500 as of November 1, 2022
Vehicle: Ram 1500 Big Horn EcoDiesel, see signature for specs

Hi all! I have owned and driven my 1500 extensively for over 6 months, and here is a detailed review with my thoughts and impressions. Short answer: this pickup has been excellent for me, with only a few minor blemishes. I give it an A-.

Long answer

POWERTRAIN: I wanted the EcoDiesel over the Hemi since I drive a lot of miles (over 30K annually), with about 80% of those, including commute, at highway speed. Using hand calculations, for the life of the vehicle thus far, I have averaged 26.8 MPG. Since my “old” 2013 pickup (Hemi/6-speed) did ~17, I’m quite impressed. DISCLAIMERS: My pickup has 3.21 gears, most of my driving is in the 60-65 MPH speed range (occasionally up to 75), and these numbers were achieved mostly during a hot summer and fall; i.e. quick and easy engine warmup.

Cost of operation (fuel, oil changes & filters, DEF) over the first 6 months was about 23 cents per mile vs. 25 cents/mile for the last 3 months of running my old pickup. The recent high price of diesel has mostly negated the potential savings from better mileage, but that’s far beyond my control.

Acceleration from a stop to highway speeds seems sluggish up to about 45 MPH, since the drivetrain seems to “stumble” if the engine doesn’t stay above ~2500 RPM while accelerating. Once it comes up to speed, it maintains speed well and does a decent job lugging hills if cruise control isn’t engaged. Passing power is adequate. Knowing that it’s 1/3 less powerful than the Hemi, the EcoDiesel drives about the way I expected—a bit slower, but not gutless.

INTERIOR: The first few weeks took some getting used to; the cab was almost eerily quiet. The engine is pretty quiet vs. a Hemi, and I’m sure the cab of a new Big Horn has more soundproofing than that of an older Tradesman. I appreciate having lots of adjustability for the driver’s seat, pedals, steering wheel, and wheel-mounted audio controls. All of that makes this pickup pretty good for long trips.

I don’t love the Uconnect system and touchscreen, though. It works most of the time, but every few weeks has a glitch of some kind. It pairs up with my phone, but CarPlay doesn’t always engage—not a major problem, but certainly a nuisance. Every few weeks, the system will forget all my satellite radio presets, but remembers my FM/AM presets. On a few occasions, the screen stopped responding altogether, so I couldn’t make any adjustments unless I shut the pickup off and restarted it. Also, the backup camera wouldn’t always come on, sometimes after cycling the ignition several times. Fortunately, that problem resolved itself within the first week of ownership.

OFF-ROAD PACKAGE: My work requires me to drive in farm fields and orchards for surveying, looking at irrigation equipment, etc., so I regularly encounter soft, muddy, and generally unpredictable soils and terrain. So I bought the Off-Road Group mainly to get more-aggressive tires; after all, $840 for those plus the rest of the fixin’s sounded like a screaming good deal :LOL:. I have used the differential lock on occasion, in combination with 4WD High and Low, to avoid getting stuck in a few tight spots and conditions. I never got stuck or spun out significantly on any mud, soft sand, or ruts, so evidently it worked OK and I never did anything too stupid. I’m still reading up on how exactly to use 4WD Auto, but think it will be useful later in the winter when I’m working through black ice and snow. Thoughts?

Ride quality seems fine under all conditions, although the height is enough that I'm looking into a set of running boards.

Thanks for taking the time to read, if you made it this far! This review might not be useful for a prospective buyer now that the EcoDiesel is being discontinued, but some of you might find it interesting. Take care! :)

P.S. if I posted this in the wrong place, please let me know the right place.

hogger

Reaction score

Hi all! I have owned and driven my 1500 extensively for over 6 months, and here is a detailed review with my thoughts and impressions. Short answer: this pickup has been excellent for me, with only a few minor blemishes. I give it an A-.

Long answer

POWERTRAIN: I wanted the EcoDiesel over the Hemi since I drive a lot of miles (over 30K annually), with about 80% of those, including commute, at highway speed. Using hand calculations, for the life of the vehicle thus far, I have averaged 26.8 MPG. Since my “old” 2013 pickup (Hemi/6-speed) did ~17, I’m quite impressed. DISCLAIMERS: My pickup has 3.21 gears, most of my driving is in the 60-65 MPH speed range (occasionally up to 75), and these numbers were achieved mostly during a hot summer and fall; i.e. quick and easy engine warmup.

Cost of operation (fuel, oil changes & filters, DEF) over the first 6 months was about 23 cents per mile vs. 25 cents/mile for the last 3 months of running my old pickup. The recent high price of diesel has mostly negated the potential savings from better mileage, but that’s far beyond my control.

Acceleration from a stop to highway speeds seems sluggish up to about 45 MPH, since the drivetrain seems to “stumble” if the engine doesn’t stay above ~2500 RPM while accelerating. Once it comes up to speed, it maintains speed well and does a decent job lugging hills if cruise control isn’t engaged. Passing power is adequate. Knowing that it’s 1/3 less powerful than the Hemi, the EcoDiesel drives about the way I expected—a bit slower, but not gutless.

INTERIOR: The first few weeks took some getting used to; the cab was almost eerily quiet. The engine is pretty quiet vs. a Hemi, and I’m sure the cab of a new Big Horn has more soundproofing than that of an older Tradesman. I appreciate having lots of adjustability for the driver’s seat, pedals, steering wheel, and wheel-mounted audio controls. All of that makes this pickup pretty good for long trips.

I don’t love the Uconnect system and touchscreen, though. It works most of the time, but every few weeks has a glitch of some kind. It pairs up with my phone, but CarPlay doesn’t always engage—not a major problem, but certainly a nuisance. Every few weeks, the system will forget all my satellite radio presets, but remembers my FM/AM presets. On a few occasions, the screen stopped responding altogether, so I couldn’t make any adjustments unless I shut the pickup off and restarted it. Also, the backup camera wouldn’t always come on, sometimes after cycling the ignition several times. Fortunately, that problem resolved itself within the first week of ownership.

OFF-ROAD PACKAGE: My work requires me to drive in farm fields and orchards for surveying, looking at irrigation equipment, etc., so I regularly encounter soft, muddy, and generally unpredictable soils and terrain. So I bought the Off-Road Group mainly to get more-aggressive tires; after all, $840 for those plus the rest of the fixin’s sounded like a screaming good deal :LOL:. I have used the differential lock on occasion, in combination with 4WD High and Low, to avoid getting stuck in a few tight spots and conditions. I never got stuck or spun out significantly on any mud, soft sand, or ruts, so evidently it worked OK and I never did anything too stupid. I’m still reading up on how exactly to use 4WD Auto, but think it will be useful later in the winter when I’m working through black ice and snow. Thoughts?

Ride quality seems fine under all conditions, although the height is enough that I'm looking into a set of running boards.

Thanks for taking the time to read, if you made it this far! This review might not be useful for a prospective buyer now that the EcoDiesel is being discontinued, but some of you might find it interesting. Take care! :)

Thanks for posting. I'm still looking to possibly snag one of the few remaining ecoDiesels, so I appreciate your effort.

wacopolumbo

Reaction score
Thanks for the well written review. I echo you comments on the unconnect system and share the same experiences. It’s nice, but doesn’t seem to be ready for prime time.

M02v8r

Reaction score
Nice review. I almost got the EcoDiesel because I also drive a lot (20K so far with a Feb 22 delivery) but decided on the Rebel GT package so it was a 5.7 for me. Its been a great truck for travel except for the 17mpg.

I am in total agreement on the UConnect system. I love everything about the truck but UConnect. It is the buggiest thing ever. Every time I take it in for an oil change I complain to the dealer and they just say, "Yep, that seems to be the general consensus." Otherwise a great truck.

Crazy Dane

Reaction score
There was an update to fix the problems with UC5 a while back. I was having the same issues you describe and it all went away after the update. It has been solid since. I really like my eco. There was a learning curve with the turbo lag but once I figured it out I don't miss the Hemi. I got mine in march and have put 15k miles on it.

Ruger

Reaction score

Long answer

Curley, thanks for the update and detailed review. I’m on the waiting list for a 2023 Laramie 4x4 ECO. It should arrive sometime before 2024 or by the time you post your 100k review…..🤣 thanks again

bucolic

Reaction score
Ditto all you say!
Much quieter and smoother riding than the Hemi.
I can get 30-32 MPG on 250-mile + trips at the speed limit to 5 MPH over the speed limit.
Towing is so much more relaxed than the Hemi. It doesn't scream going upgrades.
Fill up that 33 gal tank and seeing 900 miles of range is comforting!
I think it is more expensive to run than the Hemi with the current price of diesel.
It's quite an amazing vehicle compared to my first truck...a 1948 Ford Pickup!

Reaction score
Nice review. I also made the switch from a Hemi to a 2022 Laramie EcoDiesel in July. Been very happy with the truck so far. The cost of diesel stings a bit right now but I’ll get between 750-900 miles on a full tank with 3.92 gears, depends on how much city/highway driving I’m doing at that time. I’m using about a gallon of DEF every 1,000 miles. I get the $11 DEF from Walmart, have only bought 2 jugs since August.

I am coming up on an oil change so I need to start sourcing the oil and filter online to avoid getting ripped off at the dealership.

Otherwise, I love the truck. Super quiet, rides great.

brentwasham

Reaction score
I bought a 2023 5.7 Hemi Laramie this June to replace my 2013 Pentastar Tradesman Quad cab. Kind of disappointed with the driving feel, though same overall approximate dimensions it drives like a land yacht or a bus in comparison. It will go when you punch it but under normal driving with light throttle acceleration it kind of "lumbers" along. Maybe its the E-torque and/or auto-stop/start but throttle response and braking feels uneven, sometimes it lurches forward while applying even brake pressure, probably when engine auto-starts. The old truck was very responsive, maneuverable and peppy on light throttle and had "just-right" brakes. Got into a 2022 ecodiesel Laramie with the 3.92 axle and loved it from the time I turned the steering wheel to leave the parking space, steering was noticeably stiffer, throttle response great, and I felt connected to the road again, it was like being in a smaller truck. Also have test driven the duramax 3.0 diesel and powerboost, both have a tighter feel than this truck though a couple of the powerboosts had uneven acceleration from a cold start. Wondering if anyone else has noticed so much difference in driving an ecodiesel over a new hemi? I'm about ready to sell this thing despite the Rambox and creature comforts. Diesel in my area is 10-15% higher if you shop around a little with GasBuddy, so near 50% better fuel mileage is still a significant advantage. The wildcard is the maintenance hit with all the soot deposits from emissions controls, I'm certain I would have to use some fuel additives and eventually delete the EGR function to keep it trouble-free and efficient. Given the operability issues with increasing govt mandates I expect the diesel to phase out, has already happened with Ford and Ram and I heard Chevy will follow suit after 2024, in favor of a much less efficient gas engine. It's ironic that you can pollute less by using less fuel without the emissions controls, and enjoy the lower cost and better performance. The DEF hit bothers me as well, there's a lot to think about in going to a diesel.

Users who are viewing this thread