5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6" lift with 18" wheels?

JBeckman

Reaction score
Is there a 6" lift that will let me keep my 18" rebel wheels? I just put brand new KO2 and I love the setup. I am currently running the readylift 3.5sst on my rig. However I'm at the extreme for CV angle and want to go to a 6" to remedy that. But really dont want to drop an additional 3-5k in wheels/tires.

Thanks in advance for any help/advise or direction to go. (Pic of my current setup)

Jeremy 20190817_194249.jpg

pber1

Reaction score
Is there a 6" lift that will let me keep my 18" rebel wheels? I just put brand new KO2 and I love the setup. I am currently running the readylift 3.5sst on my rig. However I'm at the extreme for CV angle and want to go to a 6" to remedy that. But really dont want to drop an additional 3-5k in wheels/tires.

Thanks in advance for any help/advise or direction to go. (Pic of my current setup)

Jeremy View attachment 34148
If I’m not mistaken I believe BDS will work with 18in wheels.

JBeckman

Reaction score
If I’m not mistaken I believe BDS will work with 18in wheels.
I did read their website. Says 18x9 with 4.5-5" backspace. The rebel wheel is 18x8 +19.05 offset w/ 5.25 backspace. I have no clue if the factory wheels will work (not very savvy with the backspace/offset thing) However I did send them a email.

clazer

Reaction score
I did read their website. Says 18x9 with 4.5-5" backspace. The rebel wheel is 18x8 +19.05 offset w/ 5.25 backspace. I have no clue if the factory wheels will work (not very savvy with the backspace/offset thing) However I did send them a email.

Completely agree- the factory Rebel wheels are awesome! You can use hubcentric spacers which will decrease your backspacing. Some pics on thread “journey toward a bigger Rebel” in the suspension section

Helmetface

Reaction score
I am currently running the readylift 3.5sst on my rig. However I'm at the extreme for CV angle and want to go to a 6" to remedy that.

How is it that you're maxed out when others running the same setup claim to be fine?

Trying to educate myself for my own setup.

JBeckman

Reaction score
How is it that you're maxed out when others running the same setup claim to be fine?

Trying to educate myself for my own setup.

I have the ORP on my truck. Giving it the factory 1" lift. Readylift warns that their lift may not work (on rebels or ORP equipped trucks) unless you pre measure. I was at the max measurement. Installed and it runs completely fine. However it's when at full droop, the angle of the cv axl concerns me. Rather not have an issue when winter hits or I decide to play in the mud and something breaks.

Helmetface

Reaction score
I have the ORP on my truck. Giving it the factory 1" lift. Readylift warns that their lift may not work (on rebels or ORP equipped trucks) unless you pre measure. I was at the max measurement. Installed and it runs completely fine. However it's when at full droop, the angle of the cv axl concerns me. Rather not have an issue when winter hits or I decide to play in the mud and something breaks.

Loud and clear. I agree, as well.

I wonder if many aren't measuring it post install? I just can't understand why some ORP trucks are in better shape than others, post lift.

JBeckman

Reaction score
Loud and clear. I agree, as well.

I wonder if many aren't measuring it post install? I just can't understand why some ORP trucks are in better shape than others, post lift.

I've had many conversations with some members here when I did my install. Pre measurements and post measurements. Expensive rigs yo break something due to not knowing. So I double tripple checked everything.

Do I ever see myself at full droop? Probably not. But you never know. And just dont want to chance it.

I have abt 2600 in my wheel/tires and would really hate to "have" to replace. Just to correct something that shouldn't be an concern. IMO I think readylift should have a drop mount for the front diff as an "option" when purchasing. For the rebel and ORP owners.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can run a 1" hub centric spacer that will give you enough back space to keep your 18s.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh? Help me out here, but is the spacer enough to keep the rim and tire from rubbing on the knuckle? Really want to make sure before I drop 3k on a lift... lol
If BDS says you need 4.5" BS and the factory rebel wheels are 5.25" BS adding the 1" spacer will effectively give you 4.25" of BS which is less than their requirement of 4.5-5"essentially the lower the back spacing the further away from the knuckle your rim will be.

clazer

Reaction score
Oh? Help me out here, but is the spacer enough to keep the rim and tire from rubbing on the knuckle? Really want to make sure before I drop 3k on a lift... lol

Great resource here for offset and backspace: https://www.discounttire.com/learn/offset-backspace

The chart shows the conversion between the two.

Long story short, factory rims have 5.25” backspace. Add a 1” hubcentric spacer and you get... 4.25” backspace. Less than the 4.5-5” range given for no interference. All good.

JBeckman

Reaction score
Thanks for the info gents! Does make sense come to think of it. Lol
Just want to make sure before I drop the $$. Would be pretty upset if I install and have to leave on blocks until i get a set ordered...lol

clazer

Reaction score
Thanks for the info gents! Does make sense come to think of it. Lol
Just want to make sure before I drop the $$. Would be pretty upset if I install and have to leave on blocks until i get a set ordered...lol

I can verify that 1.25” hub centric spacers (went with BORA) leave plenty of room for the studs in the backs of the wheels. It looks like there is room to go with a 1” spacer. If anything it would be a minimal trim that wouldn’t remove any threads.

d29506f34da4bd094847b4ab01c32356.jpg
ae271aa299abf43ce393917012804485.jpg

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yep as stated the tire hits the spindle when bolted on, so you need the wheel to come outward more to give it clearance. But it’s really dependent on the wheel and tire combo as to whether or not it will work, unfortunately not really a way to tell without just doing it.

I think you will like the appearance more if you do the spacer anyway, the factory offset will leave the tire too far in the fender with the additional height IMO.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
curious to see how it turns out if you do that. I’m going to try putting my factory wheels back on with the procomp kit, I don’t expect it to fit but we shall see what happens.

JBeckman

Reaction score
curious to see how it turns out if you do that. I’m going to try putting my factory wheels back on with the procomp kit, I don’t expect it to fit but we shall see what happens.

Did you have factory 18's before you did your 6" lift? Ya if you get bored and install yours, let me know what you find out please. It seems I may be a couple weeks out from ordering the lift. Contract negotiations are kinda going crappy and dont want to spend play money incase I need it later.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you have factory 18's before you did your 6" lift? Ya if you get bored and install yours, let me know what you find out please. It seems I may be a couple weeks out from ordering the lift. Contract negotiations are kinda going crappy and dont want to spend play money incase I need it later.

I have a rebel, but I sold my stock wheels to the guy at the shop that did my lift unexpectedly. So I can’t help in this matter now. I’m going to use the money to buy another 20” wheel

Users who are viewing this thread