5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6 cylinder Rams

Seabass4592

Reaction score
I recently bought a BigHorn Ram. Being a teacher I’m not flush with money and had to save to buy it with a large deposit down. Because of this new political administration, I knew that gas was about to rise and rise quickly. Now my prior 2005 F150 was a great truck, but only got 15-18 mpg. With gas at $2 per gallon it was no big deal. So I decided to look into the 3.6 Pentastar engine with etorque Big Horn with option 2 package. I’m impressed! 305 hp isn’t bad! The reputation on this engine is good too! I recently made a 100 mile trip (I’ve only got 700 miles on it) and got almost 22mpg. (Actually 21.8) now I know it doesn’t have that awesome sound that the hemi has and I only have a small trailer to pull so I didn’t need the towing capacity. But I’m very happy with what I’ve bought! I haven’t heard a lot of accolades on this forum but I wanted to give my two cents worth for those who are considering getting the six cylinder 3.6 L pentastar engine. Loving this forum but wanted to give a review for those of us who bought the Pentastar 3.6L and are enjoying their truck! Pic attached!
10004ccb6d78ca5ed24f4e9941aa4a57.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nozzleman

Reaction score
I recently bought a BigHorn Ram. Being a teacher I’m not flush with money and had to save to buy it with a large deposit down. Because of this new political administration, I knew that gas was about to rise and rise quickly. Now my prior 2005 F150 was a great truck, but only got 15-18 mpg. With gas at $2 per gallon it was no big deal. So I decided to look into the 3.6 Pentastar engine with etorque Big Horn with option 2 package. I’m impressed! 305 hp isn’t bad! The reputation on this engine is good too! I recently made a 100 mile trip (I’ve only got 700 miles on it) and got almost 22mpg. (Actually 21.8) now I know it doesn’t have that awesome sound that the hemi has and I only have a small trailer to pull so I didn’t need the towing capacity. But I’m very happy with what I’ve bought! I haven’t heard a lot of accolades on this forum but I wanted to give my two cents worth for those who are considering getting the six cylinder 3.6 L pentastar engine. Loving this forum but wanted to give a review for those of us who bought the Pentastar 3.6L and are enjoying their truck! Pic attached!

I agree! I also have the 3.6 and love it.
I do have a quick question, your 1500 symbols on the hood say eTorque, did you add that? I have the black ones on my truck but they dont say etorque.

Seabass4592

Reaction score
I agree! I also have the 3.6 and love it.
I do have a quick question, your 1500 symbols on the hood say eTorque, did you add that? I have the black ones on my truck but they dont say etorque.

No, they came with the truck when I bought it.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Congrats on your truck, it is sharp. Also congrats on being a teacher and not being a brainwashed idiot, a rare thing (I know many, many, many teachers and am a professor).

Your mileage should improve as the engine breaks in. I get about that mileage at 70 mph with the etorque HEMI (3.21 gears) but it took a couple thousand miles.

Also, add a signature with your truck details that will display on the bottom of all your posts. Go to the upper right of the page and click on your username, then click "signature."

ben b

Reaction score
I am waiting on delivery -- this RAM will be my first truck ever. I only anticipate towing small UHaul trailers and such, helping my family move around and other similar errands. I love that the truck frame and suspension were designed for serious towing using the diesel. I figure that means the RAM should be near indestructible for my usage.

My truck bed will get plenty of usage, but that is mostly for bikes, kayaks, paddle boards and Home Depot runs. Not a lot of weight. I'm looking forward to the gas mileage and simplicity of the V6.

Seabass4592

Reaction score
Congrats on your truck, it is sharp. Also congrats on being a teacher and not being a brainwashed idiot, a rare thing (I know many, many, many teachers and am a professor).

Your mileage should improve as the engine breaks in. I get about that mileage at 70 mph with the etorque HEMI (3.21 gears) but it took a couple thousand miles.

So true...many in this profession are pretty ignorant in their thinking! Thanks for the info on the breaking in of the engine!

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Nice truck! The Pentastar V6 is an awesome engine, the big difference of todays trucks is the transmissions with 8 gears or more, making it easy for launching such heavy vehicles.
I have driven a few of company work trucks (classic models) with the V6 gas engines and was impressed with the torque. The new DT models with the E-torque should be even better.
I did buy the V6 but it’s the Ecodiesel, fuel economy and torque is impressive.

Seabass4592

Reaction score
Nice truck! The Pentastar V6 is an awesome engine, the big difference of todays trucks is the transmissions with 8 gears or more, making it easy for launching such heavy vehicles.
I have driven a few of company work trucks (classic models) with the V6 gas engines and was impressed with the torque. The new DT models with the E-torque should be even better.
I did buy the V6 but it’s the Ecodiesel, fuel economy and torque is impressive.

Thanks for that transmission information. Didn’t know that. These little nuggets are why I joined this forum and why I posted this thread! Thanks for the nugget!

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I drove a Ram 1500 4x4 a few years ago with the Pentastar V6 and I was truly impressed with its performance. I have neighbor with one and he claims 20 MPG around town and a consistent 28 on the road.

Best of luck with your new truck. Enjoy!

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 051223 miles.

Mchurch52

Reaction score
My EcoDiesel is in the shop for an ABS light that came on so I've been driving a Bighorn loaner with the Pentastar V6 for the past week. I gotta admit, I've been pretty impressed with it, that engine gets up and goes. Granted, the Bighorn weighs about 1200 pounds less than my Laramie with Rambox and ORG, but the V6 with etorque is pretty quick off the line. I could easily see myself getting along just fine with it if I didn't have to tow our travel trailer. The mileage is a bit lower than my EcoDiesel, but not bad for being in a truck the size of the 1500. Seems like a great combo!

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The milage is surprising. I had a 2020 Rubicon with the 3.6 and it did about 17 mpg. The Rubicon is about a half ton lighter.

I was very impressed with the 3.6 in it. Aside from having the greatest oil change system ever encountered on a vehicle, the thing had power to spare. Especially with the 4:10 gears of a Rubicon.

Seabass4592

Reaction score
I had a Ford F-150 before my Ram 3.6 L Pentastar. The Ford had a 4.3L with a pig of an engine. Got terrible 17mpg gas mileage and thank God it had 5 on the floor because the only way I could ever pass was to drop it down and pray that I could pass. I will say this, it NEVER left me stranded in 16 years. For that, I was grateful!

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
I think I'd be happier with my Pentastar if I was in a lighter trim like a Bighorn. As you can see in my sig, mileage isn't great in a Longhorn. I wouldn't go so far as to say I drive like a grandpa, but suffice it to say I have a light foot. My mix is about 60-40 highway/city here in the rolling hills of northern Virginia. The Retrax is the only hefty mod I have.

My best tank was a hand calced 19.88 on a road trip from VA-NY with about 650-700 lbs of passengers and cargo split between the cab and bed under the tonneau cover.

1D32319

Reaction score
Before I retired, my last 3 government vehicles were Rams with the 3.6. Thoroughly abused and neglected, but kept running fine with plenty of available power and great fuel mileage for a full size.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
My 2019 was the Pentastar V6, loved that truck. Doesn’t get the love it deserves. Pretty good engine with nice gas mileage. Had it in a Laramie, kinda cool you can get in higher trims. Got the EcoDiesel V6 now.

Here’s my ‘19 I had:

View attachment 94482
You can get it in every trim level except the Limited now. Pretty sure you used to be able to get it in the Limited too, but not anymore according to the online configurator. Not sure when that might have changed.

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Thanks for that transmission information. Didn’t know that. These little nuggets are why I joined this forum and why I posted this thread! Thanks for the nugget!

I recently added the Pedal Commander to my V6 (City+4) and love the quick pedal response.

Users who are viewing this thread