5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6” BDS lift on 2WD

Toothninja

Reaction score
Just had my 2020 Longhorn 2WD lifted. I had the 6” BDS lift with rear Fox shocks installed on it. Followed that up with Fuel Two Piece Assault rims on 37/12.5R20 Ridge Grapplers. Looks amazing!! Drives pretty close to stock. Maybe a little floaty...difficult to describe. No rubbing yet, but the shop did some trimming and used the heat gun I believe, so it was probably taken care of! Speedometer is off considerably, but I have a pulsar coming. This forum has spent my money...I would like to say thanks so much!! E94EAEAB-0EF4-4DD4-8631-12C5031F60AB.jpeg 7028097F-67A2-4A0E-9167-40317966A267.jpeg

Robertsjut

Reaction score
Just had my 2020 Longhorn 2WD lifted. I had the 6” BDS lift with rear Fox shocks installed on it. Followed that up with Fuel Two Piece Assault rims on 37/12.5R20 Ridge Grapplers. Looks amazing!! Drives pretty close to stock. Maybe a little floaty...difficult to describe. No rubbing yet, but the shop did some trimming and used the heat gun I believe, so it was probably taken care of! Speedometer is off considerably, but I have a pulsar coming. This forum has spent my money...I would like to say thanks so much!! View attachment 41792 View attachment 41793
Looks great! Any picture from the front with its stance?

Toothninja

Reaction score
Here are a front and a front side shots.

Attachments

• F6DD5FA1-97D4-46A3-B18C-60DD64AD4844.jpeg
    F6DD5FA1-97D4-46A3-B18C-60DD64AD4844.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 107
  • 83A3D959-BC25-449A-8EA4-A6CF97111596.jpeg
    83A3D959-BC25-449A-8EA4-A6CF97111596.jpeg
    131.5 KB · Views: 104

Tex_Ram

Reaction score
Just had my 2020 Longhorn 2WD lifted. I had the 6” BDS lift with rear Fox shocks installed on it. Followed that up with Fuel Two Piece Assault rims on 37/12.5R20 Ridge Grapplers. Looks amazing!! Drives pretty close to stock. Maybe a little floaty...difficult to describe. No rubbing yet, but the shop did some trimming and used the heat gun I believe, so it was probably taken care of! Speedometer is off considerably, but I have a pulsar coming. This forum has spent my money...I would like to say thanks so much!!

What gears do you have? And what shop actually installed a 2019 5th Gen BDS lift on a 2020? I've called so many damn shops and no one will do it on my 2020.. San Antonio is only a few hour drive.. How much they charge for the lift + install? How long did it take them.. I'd consider a mini vacation in SA while they did it! Sorry for all the questions.. just been turned down everywhere in Houston and getting frustrated..

Toothninja

Reaction score
What gears do you have? And what shop actually installed a 2019 5th Gen BDS lift on a 2020? I've called so many damn shops and no one will do it on my 2020.. San Antonio is only a few hour drive.. How much they charge for the lift + install? How long did it take them.. I'd consider a mini vacation in SA while they did it! Sorry for all the questions.. just been turned down everywhere in Houston and getting frustrated..
I had the lift installed at Planet Pickup. They worked closely with BDS to see if it would work...as far as I was told, I’m the first 2WD with the full lift kit. Planet Pickup had a 4WD come in with my truck there so they could measure everything and see if it would work. PP went well above and beyond my expectations. I’d recommend them for most things truck related!
Cost- $1,800 lift, $650 install, $95 alignment, +tax. I had tires and wheels done there as well, so I can’t give an exact cost for everything, but you get the gist of it. It was very reasonable...very!! It took 3 days...dropped off on Tuesday, picked up on Friday.
Now that they know it’ll work, they will have no problems installing yours. They will also be in contact with BDS to relay the results.
Good luck! Call and speak with Antz, tell him Roger sent you! it was truly a pleasure to get this done. Exactly what I wanted!!
I forgot to mention, I have 3.21. I don’t notice much difference in pick up/driving capabilities...loving it!!

Tex_Ram

Reaction score
I had the lift installed at Planet Pickup. They worked closely with BDS to see if it would work...as far as I was told, I’m the first 2WD with the full lift kit. Planet Pickup had a 4WD come in with my truck there so they could measure everything and see if it would work. PP went well above and beyond my expectations. I’d recommend them for most things truck related!
Cost- $1,800 lift, $650 install, $95 alignment, +tax. I had tires and wheels done there as well, so I can’t give an exact cost for everything, but you get the gist of it. It was very reasonable...very!! It took 3 days...dropped off on Tuesday, picked up on Friday.
Now that they know it’ll work, they will have no problems installing yours. They will also be in contact with BDS to relay the results.
Good luck! Call and speak with Antz, tell him Roger sent you! it was truly a pleasure to get this done. Exactly what I wanted!!
I forgot to mention, I have 3.21. I don’t notice much difference in pick up/driving capabilities...loving it!!
Thanks for all the info! $1800 seems super cheap! I'm assuming you didn't add the BDS UCA's... I'll definitely check it out.. my talks with BDS is just that they are "Looking into it for 2020's" and "No ETA".

Toothninja

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info! $1800 seems super cheap! I'm assuming you didn't add the BDS UCA's... I'll definitely check it out.. my talks with BDS is just that they are "Looking into it for 2020's" and "No ETA".
No problem. The $1800 might’ve been the price for me being a guinea pig, but I’ll take it! I told them I didn’t mind! Lol!! I did not go with the UCA’s, but I don’t plan on going off road either. If I considered the coil overs, then I would’ve gotten the UCAs to complete the look. I mean what’s an extra 700 when you’re spending an extra $2000 on the coil overs. I think they quoted me $3900 for the coil over package without the UCAs, and it required an extra hour of labor, so around $750-800 for that as well.
I know that Planet Pickup will do the job for you and will not rake you over the coals either. Just give them a call on Monday!

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Coilover kit should require less labor, don’t have to take apart the oem strut. But anyways, that’s a good price on labor either way. Most shops at around 1k.

I don’t understand why anyone would be worried about the kit not fitting a 2020, the thought wouldn’t have even crossed my mind.

Toothninja

Reaction score
They explained to me that the coil overs labor cost was more due to adjustments required. I thought the same as you though! As for the 2020 model, mine was the fact it was a 2WD not a 4WD which was the problem. With that being said, there were several shops here which wouldn’t do any lifts on a 2020 because the lifts weren’t certified on a 2020 yet...

Stew81

Reaction score
Did you check with Cutten Customs? I thought they would lift anything...

Tex_Ram

Reaction score
Did you check with Cutten Customs? I thought they would lift anything...
I did, I called and talked to Erica. Told her I wanted a BDS lift.. she told me that the only 2020 they've done yet was a 6" Fabtech.. She said she'd look into it and call me back, which she did, but I was at work and couldn't answer.. She left me a voice message quoting me the price ($3000 + Tax) for a 6" Fabtech, not BDS like I was looking for, so I just never got back to them.. Cutten Customs would be nice though as they are only 10 minutes down the road from me.. Maybe it was a misunderstanding.. I'll call them back tomorrow I guess, or better yet.. I'm off Thursday so may just go by there.

Stew81

Reaction score
I did, I called and talked to Erica. Told her I wanted a BDS lift.. she told me that the only 2020 they've done yet was a 6" Fabtech.. She said she'd look into it and call me back, which she did, but I was at work and couldn't answer.. She left me a voice message quoting me the price ($3000 + Tax) for a 6" Fabtech, not BDS like I was looking for, so I just never got back to them.. Cutten Customs would be nice though as they are only 10 minutes down the road from me.. Maybe it was a misunderstanding.. I'll call them back tomorrow I guess, or better yet.. I'm off Thursday so may just go by there.
Same here. They are about 5 minutes from my office. I had them level my F-150 and I'll probably have them level this truck when I'm ready. I'd stop by and talk to the owner. I forget his name but he drives a white Ram 2500. I called and spoke to a woman up there (probably Erica) to get a price on the Amp running boards and she said they hadn't been released for the 2020's yet... Maybe she just goes by the book and doesn't consider things like the 2019 and 2020 are exactly the same so the steps for the 2019 will likely work on a 2020.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Coilover kit should require less labor, don’t have to take apart the oem strut. But anyways, that’s a good price on labor either way. Most shops at around 1k.

I don’t understand why anyone would be worried about the kit not fitting a 2020, the thought wouldn’t have even crossed my mind.
You'd be surprised the small changes the manufactures make from year to year that can screw over aftermarket parts. Most recently on the 2014-2019 GM trucks, when the trucks were released some had cast aluminum control arms and cast aluminum knuckles and some had tube steel control arms and cast steel knuckles. The aluminum knuckle used a different upper ball joint than the steel so the replacement knuckles for the lift kit had to have two different upper ball joint bores, Once they thought they had it all figured out as to which models got what and so on for 2014 and 2015, 2016 rolls around and most trucks produced came with stamped steel upper control arms, the aluminum arms went away but they used the upper ball joint from aluminum arm on the newly design stamped steel arm and the steel knuckles got a different upper ball joint bore. I've seen bolt hole locations change from one year to the next just enough that brackets don't line up anymore. On the ram it's known that the factory 22 inch wheel trucks have a heavy duty hub that wont fit on standard duty knuckles. Ram may just stop doing this say half way through the 2020 MY and no one will know. Order the kit for a truck with factory 22 wheels go to install it and find out they just use the standard hub across all models now. That's why aftermarket suppliers are slow to officially say anything fits when new MY trucks are released.

Last edited:

thrasherjosh

Reaction score
@Toothninja
What’s your front and rear fender to floor measurements? I have a 4” CST Spindle lift and I’m wanting upgrade to a full lift kit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toothninja

Reaction score
Sorry Thrasherjosh-haven’t been on in awhile. Measurements are 45 front, 47-ish in back. Looks good...like really nice!!

Friends_Ram

Reaction score
@Toothninja
What’s your front and rear fender to floor measurements? I have a 4” CST Spindle lift and I’m wanting upgrade to a full lift kit!

How do you like the CST Spindles ? Can I see some pics ?

Users who are viewing this thread