5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Generation Ram bed extender

Brisoup1

Reaction score
I've just ordered a Mopar bed extender for my truck. I have the factory spray in bedliner. I've noticed on the youtube videos I've seen, The last generation Ram had dimples on both side of the Bed wall that has to be drilled to create a hole for the mounting screws. My truck doesn't have this. I assume all 5th Gen truck doesn't have these dimples to use as a reference on where to drill. I guess what I'm getting at is do I have to figure where to drill these holes or do I use the holes that are already about 6" from where the Last Gen Bed Extender was mounted?

Last edited:

Kratz87

Reaction score
I've just ordered a Mopar bed extender for my truck. I have the factory spray in bedliner. I've noticed on the youtube videos I've seen, The last generation Ram had dimples on both side of the Bed wall that has to be drilled to create a hole for the mounting screws. My truck doesn't have this. I assume all 5th Gen truck doesn't have these dimples to use as a reference on where to drill. I guess what I'm getting at is do I have to figure where to drill these holes or do I use the holes that are already about 6" from where the Last Gen Bed Extender was mounted?
Did you figure this out? I just took delivery and the MOPAR RAM Bed Extender is a consideration for my motorcycle in the bed. Would like to hear about your installation experience. Pictures if you have them!

Brisoup1

Reaction score
Did you figure this out? I just took delivery and the MOPAR RAM Bed Extender is a consideration for my motorcycle in the bed. Would like to hear about your installation experience. Pictures if you have them!
The assembly and installation of the bed extender is pretty straight forward. The extender comes with templates for the left and right side of the bed. These are well marked & is pretty simple to line the template with where you're supposed to drill the 3 holes on each side for installing the mounting brackets. You will need a 1/8" drill bit for installing the 4 rivets when assembling the bed extender itself. You will also need a 5/32 drill bit for drilling the holes for the mounting brackets. I would recommend using new drill bits to make the holes as clean as possible. As long as you take your time during the installation, you won't have any problems. It took me a little over 1 hr from when I began assembling the extender to when I was finished with the install. Since you have a 6'4" bed, your bike should fit on the bed with no problems.

Attachments

• 20190719_183417.jpg
    20190719_183417.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 163
  • 20190719_183431.jpg
    20190719_183431.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 158
  • 20190719_183459.jpg
    20190719_183459.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 151

Brisoup1

Reaction score
The assembly and installation of the bed extender is pretty straight forward. The extender comes with templates for the left and right side of the bed. These are well marked & is pretty simple to line the template with where you're supposed to drill the 3 holes on each side for installing the mounting brackets. You will need a 1/8" drill bit for installing the 4 rivets when assembling the bed extender itself. You will also need a 5/32 drill bit for drilling the holes for the mounting brackets. I would recommend using new drill bits to make the holes as clean as possible. As long as you take your time during the installation, you won't have any problems. It took me a little over 1 hr from when I began assembling the extender to when I was finished with the install. Since you have a 6'4" bed, your bike should fit on the bed with no problems.
Update: Since I have the 5'7" bed, the extender wouldn't originally clear the rear fender, I had to reposition the P/S bracket to the 10 o'clock position & the D/S bracket to the 2 o'clock position. Now the extender clears the rear of the bike with no problem. I'm covering the 2 original holes on each side with black silicone as I speak.

Attachments

• 20190828_164808.jpg
    20190828_164808.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 128
  • 20190828_164840.jpg
    20190828_164840.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 126

Kratz87

Reaction score
Update: Since I have the 5'7" bed, the extender wouldn't originally clear the rear fender, I had to reposition the P/S bracket to the 10 o'clock position & the D/S bracket to the 2 o'clock position. Now the extender clears the rear of the bike with no problem. I'm covering the 2 original holes on each side with black silicone as I speak.
Interesting. I will have to watch that. I have a long rake on my Indian, so that may be an issue as well. Thanks for the heads up. By the way, what kind of ramp did you go with? I like the Mopar set for a 4-wheeler and am thinking about getting those and welding them together for wider and still folding. Still doing research though.

Brisoup1

Reaction score
Interesting. I will have to watch that. I have a long rake on my Indian
Interesting. I will have to watch that. I have a long rake on my Indian, so that may be an issue as well. Thanks for the heads up. By the way, what kind of ramp did you go with? I like the Mopar set for a 4-wheeler and am thinking about getting those and welding them together for wider and still folding. Still doing research though.

, so that may be an issue as well. Thanks for the heads up. By the way, what kind of ramp did you go with? I like the Mopar set for a 4-wheeler and am thinking about getting those and welding them together for wider and still folding. Still doing research though.
I have a ramp from Rage Powersports.
I lucked out & found one used on Ebay.

Attachments

• 20190719_164902.jpg
    20190719_164902.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 52

Users who are viewing this thread