5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th gen Ram 1500 push to start issue.

finsikesi64

Reaction score
Has anyone else had an issue with push to start in their ram. For whatever reason, it will not sense the key if it is in my pocket. The second I take it out it starts up. Not a battery issue. Anyone else had similar situation and were you able to get it fixed?

Yelzelity

Reaction score
Has anyone else had an issue with push to start in their ram. For whatever reason, it will not sense the key if it is in my pocket. The second I take it out it starts up. Not a battery issue. Anyone else had similar situation and were you able to get it fixed?
I have not had any issues, my only thought would be some type of interference. I have had similar problems on motorcycles with hands free start.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
sounds weird, but did you replace any of your truck’s lights with LEDs? ive heard of that oddly causing key interference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
sounds weird, but did you replace any of your truck’s lights with LEDs? ive heard of that oddly causing key interference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This could be it. If not, does it happen with all pants? I know it sounds crazy, but certain fabrics block signals more than others.

If I have my remote in certain jackets, the truck will not start half the time, while having it in my watch pocket in my pants I have no issues. Same with unlocking the driver’s side door. It’s usually the same piece of clothing every time.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It should not be a problem once you are inside the truck so if it is take it in and have it looked at. I liked the way the challenger push button worked. You could pop the button out and use the fob as an actual key in the event there was an issue with sensing.

dschweers

Reaction score
Replaced 3rd break lights with led and had the same issue. Put original back in and the problem went away. Changed to a different led producer and no problem.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Carry a knife (large metal Benchmade 4" pushbutton) in the same pocket. Sometimes the fob doesn't work, so I juggle it around in my pocket and it works.

I have an add-on keyless system in my Slingshot (Digital Guard Dawg) - that has 2 settings: one, you have to push the button in the fob to activate the starter - the second just senses the fob, but the fob has to "detect motion" to come out of sleep (and not run the battery down) - so sometimes I have to "jiggle it" (similar to the way I move the fob around in my pocket for the truck).

Being that this fob is ACTIVE - perhaps "motion" is an "undocumented feature"? I have LED CMHSL (aftermarket) / Cargo Bed lights - and I get an intermittent "no fob" - but again - jiggle and it starts.

It's not enough to make me bat-guano, not even really ANNOYING - because it DOES START. Not enough to throw out the LED's bought and paid for and replace them with something else.

Rick

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Someone's sure doing a lot of pocket jigglin'!
Lol

NWRogue

Reaction score
It should not be a problem once you are inside the truck so if it is take it in and have it looked at. I liked the way the challenger push button worked. You could pop the button out and use the fob as an actual key in the event there was an issue with sensing.
If you get no fob detected, you can push the start button with the fob and the truck will work.

I get this every now and again and have also found that if I open the drivers door then close it and wait for the step to retract i can then push the start button and it'll work just fine. Go figure, but easier that digging my keys out.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Someone's sure doing a lot of pocket jigglin'!
Lol

I'm just figuring all the metal I carry in my pocket blocks it. Could be the knife, the business card holder, the 20 year AA coin - all or a combination of. Can't really recall that I noticed it more (or less) before I installed the LED's, so I'm not 100% that it's those either...

Rick

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm just figuring all the metal I carry in my pocket blocks it. Could be the knife, the business card holder, the 20 year AA coin - all or a combination of. Can't really recall that I noticed it more (or less) before I installed the LED's, so I'm not 100% that it's those either...

Rick
Congrats on 20 years.

saylor

Reaction score
(large metal Benchmade 4" pushbutton)

aye thems the bestest

Chrisdp23

Reaction score
Glad to see it isn't only me who is having this problem. Been to the dealer twice for it, they just replaced both fobs so we will see if this helps. I would ask that people report this to their dealership. My dealership said they could find no info from FCA regarding this issue and were treating it as an isolated instance with my Truck. If more people report it FCA might actually figure out what the issue is.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I wear a tin hat most days but tin drawers are a whole nuther level of paranoia. Remember just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you! 😲

Yea, my Jeep will not start if my key is 4 feet behind my seat in my briefcase. Fine on the front seat. It knows if you just step out of the jeep, seems to know where that fob is down to the foot. Damn key is spooky smart. Too smart if you ask me.... I miss my metal key.

Hey speaking of the key fob, I just ordered my Bighorn. Is the key fob the same hulking giant thing they give you with a Jeep? I mean my laptop is just a bit bigger than my Jeep fob....

Users who are viewing this thread