5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen locking gas cap.

armandsetzer

Reaction score
Anyone lookibg for a locking gasoline fill neck locking cap? See the YouTube video attached.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
That’s neat. Do they all have the same key?

llando88

Reaction score
Cool idea.

I may be missing something, but is the fuel filler door not locked when the truck is locked? I guess if not, this could give more peace of mind by adding an extra lock. Good option if that's what you need, though.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Cool idea.

I may be missing something, but is the fuel filler door not locked when the truck is locked? I guess if not, this could give more peace of mind by adding an extra lock. Good option if that's what you need, though.
No, the gas doors do not lock.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Cool idea.

No, the fuel filler door does not lock.

Edit: @6of36 You beat me to that by about 1.243 seconds :ROFLMAO:

armandsetzer

Reaction score
Cool idea.

If the fuel door locked there would not be a need to hava a locking cap.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have two other vehicles from 2012 and 2013 which have fuel door releases in the cab. One is a Jeep. Not sure why FCA did away with this feature. Doesn’t really bother me, as it’s just something else to break.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have two other vehicles from 2012 and 2013 which have fuel door releases in the cab. One is a Jeep. Not sure why FCA did away with this feature. Doesn’t really bother me, as it’s just something else to break.
Because of problems with the release. Breaking or freezing up in winter making it so you can't open the fuel door.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Because of problems with the release. Breaking or freezing up in winter making it so you can't open the fuel door.
If that was actually happening it's because of a bad design. And designing that out of a vehicle instead of fixing it just makes me laugh. I've owned many cars with locking fuel doors over the past four decades, and none of them ever froze up in winter. The release breaking makes my point about a bad design.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
If that was actually happening it's because of a bad design. And designing that out of a vehicle instead of fixing it just makes me laugh. I've owned many cars with locking fuel doors over the past four decades, and none of them ever froze up in winter. The release breaking makes my point about a bad design.
Our Kia has a cable operated release, but the Jeep has a remote servo motor style release. I would imagine the Jeep one breaking before the Kia. Hope neither of them ever do tho 🤞🏻

5genJeff

Reaction score
My previous auto had the servo motor locking gas door and the servo eventually failed in the locked position. There was no manual override or access from the trunk. After careful measurements from a friend who had the same car, I drilled thru the door and thru the pin of the servo to get the door open and fill up the car again. I'm more than happy not to have this on the new RAM...

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
My previous auto had the servo motor locking gas door and the servo eventually failed in the locked position. There was no manual override or access from the trunk. After careful measurements from a friend who had the same car, I drilled thru the door and thru the pin of the servo to get the door open and fill up the car again. I'm more than happy not to have this on the new RAM...
That sucks! I hope Jeep grand cherokees have some kind of override

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

My 20 year old A6 has never once had an issue with the (electronic) gas door lock.

Users who are viewing this thread