5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen Heated Steering Wheel Wiring Question

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My new steering wheel is finally in route after several months of waiting!!! The new wheel comes with 4 wires for the heating element, a positive, a negative, and two control wires according to the manufacturer. My factory Rebel wheel has heating so all the wiring is there.

In all the videos I've watched I see the factory heating element also uses 4 wires (2 plugs on the bottom right and left side of the wheel with 2 wires in each plug. I presume one is for the control wires and the other the power/ground) so it should be easy to line up the wires and install once I can identify them.

That said, does anyone have any info on the wiring colors for those wires so I can identify which one does what?

VP500

Reaction score
I also have an aftermarket steering wheel with heat and leds.

@Waterfowler41 - I’ve extensively watched your YouTube install video. My aftermarket steering wheel actually came with plugs that directly connected into both heat (pwr/grd; black/black) steering wheel harnesses. No modification needed!

However the LED strip is giving me problems. My voltmeter could be faulty but it’s producing 4volts from the heat (pwr/grd) harness so that didn’t seem feasible.

I’ll try to make sense here. I next then connected it the horn harness. The aftermarket LED strip gives me two power and one ground. I was able to connect both power leads to the horn harness as they both combined seem to produce 12v (could be wrong) however I cannot find a suitable ground.

Where the hell do I ground in the steering wheel? Lol

VP500

Reaction score
Here is an example of the steering wheel I ordered. You’ll notice the led strip has a red, blue and black wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is an example of the steering wheel I ordered. You’ll notice the led strip has a red, blue and black wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe you can use one of the heated steering wheel grounds or make your own by tapping into the metal steering wheel structure.

Sorry couldn’t help more.

Users who are viewing this thread