5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5th Gen HD Transmissions

96Dodge4x4

CDJR Technician
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is there any information on transmissions for the next heavy duties? Will they be continuing with the current 6 speeds or will they bring some new transmissions or use modified 8 Speeds? I can’t speak for the diesels but as far as the 6.4 Hemi goes, it has plenty of power and is pretty quick for how heavy it is but if it had something like the 8 speed I could imagine it would do much better and would have better gears for towing. Maybe something like the 8hp90 since that can stand the hellcats

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I know the chances of it happening are slim and none, but I sure would like to see a 6speed manual for the Gas engines. I do have to say the 6speed auto in our 2013 cummins with the engine brake is like the best of both worlds, but I still enjoy rowing gears.

Now, if the 7.0l makes its way to the HD Rams, well it has to have a manual.

That said, I think the 6spd auto is just fine for the Cummins, but from what I have heard...that 6.4l Hemi needs an 8spd.

96Dodge4x4

CDJR Technician
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I agree the manual would be awesome behind it, with the automatics the 6 speed does fine and the trucks are still pretty quick but I think the 8 speed could make a lot more out of the power

D

Deleted member 85

96Dodge4x4 said:
I agree the manual would be awesome behind it, with the automatics the 6 speed does fine and the trucks are still pretty quick but I think the 8 speed could make a lot more out of the power
It would.

The all-new JL Wrangler, despite the Pentastar V6 continuing as its powertrain, drives like a completely different vehicle with the 8 speed auto.

MoparMantis

Reaction score
I read the an 8 speed is in the works for the HD on another forum. One reliable source said it might show up by the next gen. Redriderbob also said we m8ght see an 8 speed but it's different than the others that fca has. He also mentioned Ram is working with ZF and Aisin on transmissions.

Users who are viewing this thread