5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

54K miles w/ original brakes... When should I replace?

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I drove off the dealership lot with 6 miles on truck when I first got my 19'. I am now at 54K miles and have yet to replace the original brakes/pads. Any suggestions as to when I should make any replacements?

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seen someone say once. They didn’t replace brakes till 90k. And that was a 2019 they used to haul loads for a living. Long trips. IIRC. But really each truck will be totally different. So many factors can change how fast or slow they wear bases on miles.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I'm at 60k miles om my 19 and just had a mechanic say I'm still at 7mm.

This is the best braking truck I've ever owned so unless OEM is just some stupid cost, I'll be buying whatever came on it from the factory.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Seen someone say once. They didn’t replace brakes till 90k. And that was a 2019 they used to haul loads for a living. Long trips. IIRC. But really each truck will be totally different. So many factors can change how fast or slow they wear bases on miles.
This is right. I am sure mine will wear faster than most. I brake downhill leaving home each day. I have oversized tires. I drive fairly aggressively in highway traffic when I go to work. All this is hard on brakes and I realize it. Just a wear item I know about.

If you are an easy driver with stock tires, you will get a lot more milage.

BigD

Reaction score
I had 98,000 miles on my 2009 Chevy 2500 & never replaced the brake pads. Had 73,000 miles on my 2013 Ram 1500 & never replaced them. I know it's because I'm a good driver & I anticipate the upcoming red light & coast up to it. I just laugh at these idiots bobbing & weaving, driving like maniacs just to end up stopped at the same light as me ! 🤣

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As another confirmation (but not on a 5th gen), I didn’t do the brakes on my SRT until 96k miles. I am very easy on brakes though.

Kaderast

Reaction score
I had 98,000 miles on my 2009 Chevy 2500 & never replaced the brake pads. Had 73,000 miles on my 2013 Ram 1500 & never replaced them. I know it's because I'm a good driver & I anticipate the upcoming red light & coast up to it. I just laugh at these idiots bobbing & weaving, driving like maniacs just to end up stopped at the same light as me ! 🤣
The same guy driving like a nut job also gets 8mpg as he's wearing down his brakes at a 5x rate.

Replaced pads at 85,000 miles on my 2014 Silverado last year before I traded it in for the Ram. They definitely still had life left in them though.

Reaction score
Keep running em! No need for added cost and replacing something that still works. If you notice less brake performance and noise then change. If the pads and rotors look good keep them going.

The longer you run them the better driver in my opinion. (Minus towing and extreme conditions)

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea it completely depends on your driving style and your driving conditions. Driving mostly highway miles is easy on the breaks while city driving and towing is harder on them.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm at 62K and just looked at my brakes. I didnt measure, but I think I have at least 50% left on them...probably more. Great brakes...too bad they are so expensive.

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Whoever is rotating your tires should tell you when it's time.
I've been to the dealership 6/7 times ( 3 for oi changes / 3 inspections + multiple power-train issues) since I got her and never once has anyone said anything to me about brakes. This is part why I posted the thread so i could get user feedback. And Thank you for your input it is much appreciated.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I was in the same boat so I made a point to ask while they were installing my third set of tires.

Fillet1

Reaction score
On my 17 laramie that I just traded I had 110k miles and brakes were still good.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Easy enough to do a quick visual when you rotate the tires. If somebody else rotates I would think they would check. My last two RAM’s didn’t need front pads till 90,000 miles. Rotors were still great so just did pads both times with zero issues. Rotors on these trucks are WAY better than the Silverado’s I owned previously. Those rotors warped if you just looked at them wrong.🙄

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
I just laugh at these idiots bobbing & weaving, driving like maniacs just to end up stopped at the same light as me ! 🤣

The same guy driving like a nut job also gets 8mpg as he's wearing down his brakes at a 5x rate.

Yep. You can easily tell who those people are by checking the amount of brake dust on their wheels.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread