5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

52k oil analysis on ‘21 3.6L E-Torque

187penguin

Reaction score
I sent a sample in at my last oil change and just got this back from Blackstone. I thought I would share.

2021 Bighorn 1500 4x4 3.6L E-Torque Pentastar
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w20
Sampled at 52,068 miles
9,431 miles on oil - The vast majority being highway miles, with ~300 miles of towing a 7k lb travel trailer.
No additives or makeup oil added
Ran oil about 400 miles past Oil Life meter showing 0%

Lab says the PUP was still good to go and could last another ~2k but I’m gunna swap at 10k regardless, just for the sake of getting a fresh oil filter in there if nothing else.

BTW, Blackstone took 5 weeks from the delivery of the oil sample to get me this report. I wasn’t in a hurry, but just something to keep in mind if you are.

Attachments

• IMG_3938.jpeg
    IMG_3938.jpeg
    185 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Reaction score
why push it? as far as i'm concerned oil is cheap insurance i never go over 5k but i plan on keeping it. if i leased it i would go 10k.

Reaction score
i change my own it only cost me 50 bucks for mobil 1 even with the PUP around 50. i would do the test to check for wear. my truck has the 5.7 my wife has a town and country with the penstar 170k on it and going strong don't leak a drop and moves out pretty good. i do the oil change on it when van tells me to on the dash . don't laugh for over 150k it has been running walmart supertech 5/20 full synthetic a 12 quart box is around 50 bucks wix filters.

spyder

Reaction score
5 weeks is surprising, they usually were around 2 and a half for me.

Changing at 5k "just because" makes ZERO sense. Complete waste of time and money. Especially with how so many people complain that filter changes on these trucks are nearly impossible to do. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
i change my own it only cost me 50 bucks for mobil 1 even with the PUP around 50. i would do the test to check for wear. my truck has the 5.7 my wife has a town and country with the penstar 170k on it and going strong don't leak a drop and moves out pretty good. i do the oil change on it when van tells me to on the dash . don't laugh for over 150k it has been running walmart supertech 5/20 full synthetic a 12 quart box is around 50 bucks wix filters.
Does it have Mopar spec approval?

Reaction score
the oil fill cap reads 5/20 sae and supertech conforms to that. with 170k on the van i'm not really worried about warranty's anymore.
not my quote but i agree with this
Chrysler and Jeep OM:
We recommend you use API Certified SAE 5W-20 Engine Oil, meeting the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-6395 such as Mopar, Pennzoil, and Shell Helix. Refer to your engine oil filler cap for correct SAE grade. Mopar SAE 5W-30 engine oil approved to FCA Material Standard MS-6395 may be used when SAE 5W-20 engine oil meeting MS-6395 is not available.
What I see:
"The Government mandates that we push SAE 5W-20 so we can meet the current CAFE ratings and not incur fines amounting to wazoo bucks; however, it'll be just dandy if you use SAE 5W-30. We recommend Mopar brand oil and lubricants because we're in a long term agreement with Shell Oil to make our stuff that'll cost 20% more than Shell's products at Walmart."

spyder

Reaction score
How many oils that are commonly available do NOT meet those specifications? People act like it's hard to find lubricants that meet manufacturer specs.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
How many oils that are commonly available do NOT meet those specifications? People act like it's hard to find lubricants that meet manufacturer specs.

The oil company has to pay a fee to get the vehicle manufactures spec and a lot just don't do this. There are only so many companies too. I know the Motormaster oil I use from Canadian Tire is just a rebranded Shell oil and yes it meets the MS-6395 spec.

187penguin

Reaction score
I remember my dad telling me basically that oil is oil, just make sure it has the API star logo on it. I became cognizant of it and would always look for it. The only place I have ever found a motor oil that didn’t have it was at a dollar store lol.

Reaction score
I remember my dad telling me basically that oil is oil, just make sure it has the API star logo on it. I became cognizant of it and would always look for it. The only place I have ever found a motor oil that didn’t have it was at a dollar store lol.
that's funny that dollar store brand you mention actually meets the oil requirements for the Model-T........ truth not a joke.

Users who are viewing this thread