5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5100 rears?

Kevin O'Leary

Reaction score
Anyone running Bilstein 5100 rears?

If so, are they worth it? How exactly did they change your truck's ride?

SB09

Reaction score
Anyone running Bilstein 5100 rears?

If so, are they worth it? How exactly did they change your truck's ride?

I’ve been real interested to see someone who has put those reservoir shocks on theirs. I’m thinking of doing those. I think those are 5160s

Now that I’ve settled the front from jumping around on the back roads where I live, I need to do same to the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ramdo

Reaction score
I’ve been real interested to see someone who has put those reservoir shocks on theirs. I’m thinking of doing those. I think those are 5160s

Now that I’ve settled the front from jumping around on the back roads where I live, I need to do same to the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
They look great from underneath. Can't see from the side with wheelwell liners.
The ride has been tremendous. I am running 295/70r18 cooper ST MAXX with 5100 front (5th notch) and these in the rear. IMG_20200427_201447_085.jpg 20200427_175427.jpg

Truckguy

Reaction score
They look great from underneath. Can't see from the side with wheelwell liners.
The ride has been tremendous. I am running 295/70r18 cooper ST MAXX with 5100 front (5th notch) and these in the rear. View attachment 54421 View attachment 54422
I got 2 questions for you. First how has the ride improved and did you add a spacer on the rear with the 5160’s? Also in your signature you state a Borla muffler. Do you just have the muffler and no full cat back ? If so how Do you like the sound? Thanks. That’s a nice looking truck by the way

Ramdo

Reaction score
I got 2 questions for you. First how has the ride improved and did you add a spacer on the rear with the 5160’s? Also in your signature you state a Borla muffler. Do you just have the muffler and no full cat back ? If so how Do you like the sound? Thanks. That’s a nice looking truck by the way
Honestly, the ride quality hasn't changed in my opinion. Since the spring is compressed, it functions similarly to a spacer. With it being on the 5th notch with ORP, I will be adding a spacer on the rear soon. I have not yet taken exact measurements to determine levelness, but it looks a little higher in the front than I prefer. 4th Notch may have been more ideal, but I am not going to disassemble it again. Haha.
I have the borla Pro XS muffler and deleted all 3 resonators which gives me exactly the sound I wanted. With it being a brand new truck, these pipes will last for years and I am not putting a supercharger, Lt headers, or any major modifications like that yet, so I wasn't going to justify the unneccessary expenditure until those are considerations.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Honestly, the ride quality hasn't changed in my opinion. Since the spring is compressed, it functions similarly to a spacer. With it being on the 5th notch with ORP, I will be adding a spacer on the rear soon. I have not yet taken exact measurements to determine levelness, but it looks a little higher in the front than I prefer. 4th Notch may have been more ideal, but I am not going to disassemble it again. Haha.
I have the borla Pro XS muffler and deleted all 3 resonators which gives me exactly the sound I wanted. With it being a brand new truck, these pipes will last for years and I am not putting a supercharger, Lt headers, or any major modifications like that yet, so I wasn't going to justify the unneccessary expenditure until those are considerations.

Haha! I just did this last night! I installed 5100s all around on my ORP Laramie a couple of weeks ago and after putting a tonneau cover on I’ve been measuring 1/2” high in the front. I also feel like the ride was stiffer than I’d like with the 5100s in #5 position and have very limited garage clearance, so I opted to drop them to #4 position rather than leave them in #5 and adding lift to the rear. Seems like a positive move so far, and I can say you get a lot faster the 2nd time around.

Still, I’m not sure you can lift a truck without making the suspension feel stiffer. I’m pretty happy with the 5100 setup for the $399 I paid for it. I’d prefer to have the Bilstein 6112s, but they’re not out yet.

I did confirm with Bilstein the 5160 rears are the exact same valving... so feel should be identical except if you’re experiencing fade due to heat buildup. Unless you’re doing high speed off-road, that’s likely not an issue.

Ram/Tun

Reaction score
Did you guys replace UCAs and if did what you got?

Users who are viewing this thread