5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5100 and dobinson rear coil springs

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Simple math would do exactly what your trying to figure out.
Number minus half of 33"
40.5 - 16.5 = 24
Mind blown yet?
Yeah that math works on paper, but not in the real world. A 33" tire probably isn't exactly 33", air pressure in the tire changes that number, weight of the truck changes that number, parked on not perfectly flat ground changes that number, etc. Their numbers, while useful, only apply to those with the same before setup as them (so stock Rebels).

@Ramroo unfortunately I haven't looked much myself, but typically shocks are rated in 2" segments so like 0-2", 2-4". You're only finding ones with specific single digit values?

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not sure why you are being difficult.

Your simple math doesn't accurately reflect the hub-to-center measurement.
It doesn't consider the squish of the tire which varies from front to rear and different trucks with different tires.

Measuring directly allows other owners to compare their truck's lift accurately, regardless of the tires' influence.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah that math works on paper, but not in the real world. A 33" tire probably isn't exactly 33", air pressure in the tire changes that number, weight of the truck changes that number, parked on not perfectly flat ground changes that number, etc. Their numbers, while useful, only apply to those with the same before setup as them (so stock Rebels).

@Ramroo unfortunately I haven't looked much myself, but typically shocks are rated in 2" segments so like 0-2", 2-4". You're only finding ones with specific single digit values?
I haven’t looked in a while because I’m good with running stock shocks for now. I lifted the rear 1.5 inches but I have a lot of droop from stock with the weight from my topper, tools, and stuff.

Reaction score
I'm not sure why you are being difficult.

Your simple math doesn't accurately reflect the hub-to-center measurement.
It doesn't consider the squish of the tire which varies from front to rear and different trucks with different tires.

Measuring directly allows other owners to compare their truck's lift accurately, regardless of the tires' influence.
The ground is a constant. Measuring at the "center" of hub can be out a half a inch. Also people with spacers or wide tires can't get to the hub which again alters the measurements. Way to many variables. Again flat ground is constant
Ground does not move.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The ground is a constant. Measuring at the "center" of hub can be out a half a inch. Also people with spacers or wide tires can't get to the hub which again alters the measurements. Way to many variables. Again flat ground is constant
Ground does not move.
The tire between the ground and the wheel isn't constant.
This method of measuring a lift isn't new and most regard it as the most accurate way especially when comparing to other trucks.
Obstacles will make it more difficult, but no less accurate with proper tools.
Sure, the ground distance gets you somewhat close, but it's only accurate relative to your own truck.

Reaction score
We can argue all we want but it comes down to both ways have way too many variables.
The new method of measuring is... well new.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We can argue all we want but it comes down to both ways have way too many variables.
The new method of measuring is... well new.
I'm not arguing.
Measuring from hub-center to fender removes the variable of tire deformation.
If you want an ambiguous overall number, use the ground.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My $.2 could just post both measurement from fender to ground and middle of hub to fender and let whoever might be interested in the information to decide how they would like to measure and compare to theirs. 1 minute with a tape measure isn’t asking for a lot and someones going to find the information helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JLiu2k2

Reaction score
I'm planning on putting in a similar setup so I will share what I have researched/learned. I have a 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie with the Off Road Package. I also have a canopy and roof rack on the rear of my truck. Here's what I'm planning:
  • Front: Bilstein 6112 @ #8. I will also be installing the Rough Country UCAs.
    • This should provide my truck with an additional 2" of lift.
  • Rear: Bilstein 5100 + Dobinson Coils (C16-053V). Same rear setup as the original post.
Dobinson says this about the C16-053V springs "This coil spring provides 2" of lift with up to 330-550lb Load". The Rebel and Off Road Package already have a 1" lift over stock which is achieved via a lifted spring so those trucks will net a 1" additional lift instead of 2".

I reached out to Dobinson to ask why the original author of the post achieved a 2" lift with this rear setup. He said it is because the C16-053V springs are rated to have a constant load somewhere in the range of 330-550 pounds. Since the truck in the original post has a empty bed/no static weight, the springs are providing more lift than usual. In my case, I have a canopy and roof rack which adds around 250 pounds of constant weight. When I go camping, I tow a small pop up camper and throw another 200 pounds or so into the bed of the truck. With the 2" lift from the 6112s, I still wanted to have some rake. So, the Dobinson representative recommended the C16-053V for my setup/goals.

In the end, I'm expecting a 2" lift in the front. Currently, the rear of my truck has sagged down a little bit from the canopy and roof rack (I still have some rake though). When I load up for camping, I'm basically level. I'm expecting the C16-053V coils will eliminate the sag and also add 1"of lift to the rear. Ultimately, I expect I will still have around 1-1.5" of rake left (since the stock Rebel/Off-Road has 2"-2.5" of rake). .

Once I do the install, I'll take before and after measurements.

VegasRob55

Reaction score
I'm planning on putting in a similar setup so I will share what I have researched/learned. I have a 2021 Ram 1500 Laramie with the Off Road Package. I also have a canopy and roof rack on the rear of my truck. Here's what I'm planning:
  • Front: Bilstein 6112 @ #8. I will also be installing the Rough Country UCAs.
    • This should provide my truck with an additional 2" of lift.
  • Rear: Bilstein 5100 + Dobinson Coils (C16-053V). Same rear setup as the original post.
Dobinson says this about the C16-053V springs "This coil spring provides 2" of lift with up to 330-550lb Load". The Rebel and Off Road Package already have a 1" lift over stock which is achieved via a lifted spring so those trucks will net a 1" additional lift instead of 2".

I reached out to Dobinson to ask why the original author of the post achieved a 2" lift with this rear setup. He said it is because the C16-053V springs are rated to have a constant load somewhere in the range of 330-550 pounds. Since the truck in the original post has a empty bed/no static weight, the springs are providing more lift than usual. In my case, I have a canopy and roof rack which adds around 250 pounds of constant weight. When I go camping, I tow a small pop up camper and throw another 200 pounds or so into the bed of the truck. With the 2" lift from the 6112s, I still wanted to have some rake. So, the Dobinson representative recommended the C16-053V for my setup/goals.

In the end, I'm expecting a 2" lift in the front. Currently, the rear of my truck has sagged down a little bit from the canopy and roof rack (I still have some rake though). When I load up for camping, I'm basically level. I'm expecting the C16-053V coils will eliminate the sag and also add 1"of lift to the rear. Ultimately, I expect I will still have around 1-1.5" of rake left (since the stock Rebel/Off-Road has 2"-2.5" of rake). .

Once I do the install, I'll take before and after measurements.
I just upgraded my suspension all around and achieved a solid 2.5" lift in both the front & back. Fit 35x12 Ridge Grapplers with ease and no trimming. I used Bilstein 6112's up front at clip 6, and I used the Bilstein 5100's with Bilstein B12 1.5" special suspension lift springs in the rear. The shop I bought from said the Dobinson and the Billy's were basically the same rear spring with the same lift potential.

VegasRob55

Reaction score
2022 ram rebel Hemi no accessories in bed other than the factory cargo management rails that I will likely never use.

I installed bilstein 5100 shocks in clip #5 for a 2 inch lift. Part number 24-300872

In the rear I installed dobinsons coil springs part number C16-053v. Mainly for the extra weight capacity to stop sag. They gave me 2" lift in the rear.

I also installed bilstein 5100's in the rear. Part number 24-233354

Currently rolling on stock 275/70/18 good year tires.

Truck rides a bit rougher than stock but feels more like a truck, not a grocery getter.
Truck will see a bunch of towing and hauling.
View attachment 150517 View attachment 150518
Definitely gotta stuff those wheel wells with some 35's. I hated the way mine looked until I got new big tires, but mine was a Laramie, and came with 32's. At least your Rebel comes with 33's. They still look way too small.

s10blazer89.jw

Reaction score
2022 ram rebel Hemi no accessories in bed other than the factory cargo management rails that I will likely never use.

I installed bilstein 5100 shocks in clip #5 for a 2 inch lift. Part number 24-300872

In the rear I installed dobinsons coil springs part number C16-053v. Mainly for the extra weight capacity to stop sag. They gave me 2" lift in the rear.

I also installed bilstein 5100's in the rear. Part number 24-233354

Currently rolling on stock 275/70/18 good year tires.

Truck rides a bit rougher than stock but feels more like a truck, not a grocery getter.
Truck will see a bunch of towing and hauling.
View attachment 150517 View attachment 150518
Your truck looks great! Did you have to change out the rear sway bar when you lifted the rear 2"? I'm going to do a 3" lift up front and want to add a 2" lift in the rear to keep some rake.

TIA

Josh

Users who are viewing this thread