5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5100 and dobinson rear coil springs

Reaction score
2022 ram rebel Hemi no accessories in bed other than the factory cargo management rails that I will likely never use.

I installed bilstein 5100 shocks in clip #5 for a 2 inch lift. Part number 24-300872

In the rear I installed dobinsons coil springs part number C16-053v. Mainly for the extra weight capacity to stop sag. They gave me 2" lift in the rear.

I also installed bilstein 5100's in the rear. Part number 24-233354

Currently rolling on stock 275/70/18 good year tires.

Truck rides a bit rougher than stock but feels more like a truck, not a grocery getter.
Truck will see a bunch of towing and hauling.
20230202_081612.jpg 20230202_082949.jpg

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2022 ram rebel Hemi no accessories in bed other than the factory cargo management rails that I will likely never use.

I installed bilstein 5100 shocks in clip #5 for a 2 inch lift. Part number 24-300872

In the rear I installed dobinsons coil springs part number C16-053v. Mainly for the extra weight capacity to stop sag. They gave me 2" lift in the rear.

I also installed bilstein 5100's in the rear. Part number 24-233354

Currently rolling on stock 275/70/18 good year tires.

Truck rides a bit rougher than stock but feels more like a truck, not a grocery getter.
Truck will see a bunch of towing and hauling.
View attachment 150517 View attachment 150518
Truck looks really good.
I noticed that those Bilstein 24-233354 are for increased height of 1 inch over your stock 1 inch higher rebel height. Those shocks will work just fine with those springs, but I am curious did you ever find any shocks that would made for 2 inch lift over rebel height?

Seems that I remember that I could not find any on my search a while back for this. I have off road package with same 1 inch stock height increase.

Reaction score
It's 2 inch over rebels stock height with clip in #5 position. So in total 3 inches from a regular ram 20230202_113402.jpg

Reaction score
I started by measuring from the ground to the fender.
37.75 " at front
40" at rear.

Now
41" at front
42" at rear.
Giving me a 1" rake.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea I get all that. I was specifically talking about the rear shocks. We’re you able to find any for 2 inches over rebel height?

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I started by measuring from the ground to the fender.
37.75 " at front
40" at rear.

Now
41" at front
42" at rear.
Giving me a 1" rake.
What are your center-of-hub to fender measurements?
With that rear spring and shock set-up, how much sag do you have left?
You may be close to your rebound travel limit and have tons of compression travel.

Check your center-of-hub to fender distance before/after jacking the rear off the ground.

Reaction score
Yea I get all that. I was specifically talking about the rear shocks. We’re you able to find any for 2 inches over rebel height?
Did not find one at this moment, but now I realize these shocks are not mounted like a normal truck shock. I can likely do the cross reference game. I am sure bilstein has something. Just have to sort out the travel of the axle and find a shock that will do it all.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The rear 5100's are made to handle 2 inches of lift. The digressive valving is good for towing and hauling. Not as good for regular driving.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The rear 5100's are made to handle 2 inches of lift. The digressive valving is good for towing and hauling. Not as good for regular driving.
2" over ORP coils?
OP got 3" total over non-ORP.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Yea they will certainly handle it. No changes need to be made.
Specifically made for 1 inch over rebel height ( from what I can find ). I know they will work for his application. I was just wondering for myself, because best I can remember is shocks made for 1 inch over rebel or Off Road Package or 3 inches or more over (rebel or ORP).

I‘m interested for myself being 1.5 to 2 inches over Off Road Package height for the rear. I am good now, just thinking.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea they will certainly handle it. No changes need to be made.
Specifically made for 1 inch over rebel height ( from what I can find ). I know they will work for his application. I was just wondering for myself, because best I can remember is shocks made for 1 inch over rebel or Off Road Package or 3 inches or more over (rebel or ORP).

I‘m interested for myself being 1.5 to 2 inches over Off Road Package height for the rear. I am good now, just thinking.
The rear 5100s are good for up to 2" over non-ORP. You'll likely limit your lift at 1" over ORP-height with the rear 5100s and the shocks will be at their rebound travel limit unless you're loaded.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The rear 5100s are good for up to 2" over non-ORP. You'll likely limit your lift at 1" over ORP-height with the rear 5100s and the shocks will be at their rebound travel limit unless you're loaded.
Yep. Thanks

Wanting to know if anyone knows of a longer shock option.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep. Thanks

Wanting to know if anyone knows of a longer shock option.
Maybe, but it isn't desireable, because those heights approach true-suspension lift area.

A level/lift pushes the absolute mechanical range of the factory suspension travel and power transmission angles.
A 3" lift is about the max you want to go.
It's a compromise from stock at the expense of your rebound travel and deviation from optimum drive-train angles.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2" over ORP coils?
OP got 3" total over non-ORP.
Again, REAR. In the front set at #5 you will get 3" of lift with the ORP Coil. In the rear you get nothing but the 5100's will handle 2" of lift. They will give you no lift in the rear.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Again, REAR. In the front set at #5 you will get 3" of lift with the ORP Coil. In the rear you get nothing but the 5100's will handle 2" of lift. They will give you no lift in the rear.

There is some confusion on what I was asking.
Never mind

jasonc78

Reaction score
Hi, I would like to help any way I can To answer questions. I just installed the 5100's in the front on clip position 5. My Ram 1500 Has the OFF ROAD PACKAGE. I gained exactly 2" of height in front.
Before Front left, 37 1/8" Front Right 37 1/4"
After Front left 39 1/8 Front right 39 1/2

Stopping with just install my truck would have been nearly perfectly level if thats what someone may be going for for one of these ORP 1500's
I wanted to maintain a little rake, so at this point I installed the 1" motofab spacers in the rear and gained about an inch of rake back...
Before Rear left 39.5" Rear Right 39.5"
After Rear Left 40.5" Rear right 40.75"
I drove a few miles and parked in same spot as it was before on level ground for these measurements. I am attaching a picture...
The truck Is the 2022 Ram Backcountry. It has the Off road package, not have air suspension....

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 69

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi, I would like to help any way I can To answer questions. I just installed the 5100's in the front on clip position 5. My Ram 1500 Has the OFF ROAD PACKAGE. I gained exactly 2" of height in front.
Before Front left, 37 1/8" Front Right 37 1/4"
After Front left 39 1/8 Front right 39 1/2

Stopping with just install my truck would have been nearly perfectly level if thats what someone may be going for for one of these ORP 1500's
I wanted to maintain a little rake, so at this point I installed the 1" motofab spacers in the rear and gained about an inch of rake back...
Before Rear left 39.5" Rear Right 39.5"
After Rear Left 40.5" Rear right 40.75"
I drove a few miles and parked in same spot as it was before on level ground for these measurements. I am attaching a picture...
The truck Is the 2022 Ram Backcountry. It has the Off road package, not have air suspension....
Try taking your measurements from center of hub to fender. Then any one can compare to their truck. That takes the tires' influence out of consideration.

Reaction score
Try taking your measurements from center of hub to fender. Then any one can compare to their truck. That takes the tires' influence out of consideration.
Simple math would do exactly what your trying to figure out.
Number minus half of 33"
40.5 - 16.5 = 24
Mind blown yet?

Users who are viewing this thread