5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

500 miles Rebel 12 review.

robe2388

Reaction score
I want to do a quick first impression and take on the Rebel after my first 500 miles, close to 600 now.

First of all let me tell you the truck is exactly what I expected to get. I was nervous when reading all the issues people were having and I'm glad I haven't gotten any of them, well at least the serious ones like leaks and errors. I do however have some little issues that I plan on taking with the dealer comes first oil change.
1- Break pedal: when parked, if you press the break you hear something engaging (master cylinder I guess?) kinda like a click, when you get out of P it doesn't do it.
2- At mid-low volume I have a little rattle (from the bass) coming from the rear passenger overhead close to the pano roof. It gets annoying so I either jam the music up or lower it.
3- Ram boxes do not sit perfectly flush (I'm OCD) I'm hoping they can adjust.
4- Sometimes there's a kinda-loud-you-can-hear-it noise when you start the truck, sounds like another big click or like the starter engaging in a weird way, and thinking about it now I haven't really heard or noticed in the last few days.

Other than those annoyances the truck drives like a sedan and has met my expectations as far as material quality and design. I think my MPGs are getting better as well with some miles, and i have never cared for MPGs one bit coming from a v8 twin turbo BMW 550i which I still have, but the first 300 miles were somewhat scary!

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    807.7 KB · Views: 146

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well that is great to hear and I hope you continue to be enthusiastic about it. :)

Paulny

Reaction score
Keep us updated on what you find with the rattle and brake pedal. The Rambox can be adjusted as there is another post about the bolts that can be loosened. I haven't heard anything similar when I start my truck but will certainly listen next time.

Overall, it sounds like you really like the truck. Great 500 mile review. I just hit 200 myself.

Whiskeymike

Reaction score
I want to do a quick first impression and take on the Rebel after my first 500 miles, close to 600 now.

First of all let me tell you the truck is exactly what I expected to get. I was nervous when reading all the issues people were having and I'm glad I haven't gotten any of them, well at least the serious ones like leaks and errors. I do however have some little issues that I plan on taking with the dealer comes first oil change.
1- Break pedal: when parked, if you press the break you hear something engaging (master cylinder I guess?) kinda like a click, when you get out of P it doesn't do it.
2- At mid-low volume I have a little rattle (from the bass) coming from the rear passenger overhead close to the pano roof. It gets annoying so I either jam the music up or lower it.
4- Sometimes there's a kinda-loud-you-can-hear-it noise when you start the truck, sounds like another big click or like the starter engaging in a weird way, and thinking about it now I haven't really heard or noticed in the last few days.

Other than those annoyances the truck drives like a sedan and has met my expectations as far as material quality and design. I think my MPGs are getting better as well with some miles, and i have never cared for MPGs one bit coming from a v8 twin turbo BMW 550i which I still have, but the first 300 miles were somewhat scary!

Do you have air suspension? Curious if sedan drivability is with/without.

RAMDJ

Reaction score
Sounds like a great buy! Loving that silver color. That is my preference as well.

George

Reaction score
Ok, new here and first post and I may be asking some crazy questions, I enjoy the looks of the Rebel over the Limited so if you don't mind:
1) Its the rebel as street compliant as the Limited? I really don't offload much, I live in south Louisiana, rains a lot and would rather not be sliding and drifting on city roads.
2) The headlights, are they a lower grade LED's than the Limited, I live in an area with no street lights and need all the help I can get not to run people over walking their dogs, my other cars have a corning light that shines when I turn the wheel, helps a lot.
3) Is the Rebel a bit more bouncy than the Limited on pavement since the tires and shocks are more off road oriented? I ask this question because of a post I read from a Raptor owner that said he had issues on interstate road imperfections that would cause him to bounce all over the highway at a high speeds.
Thanks in advance

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ok, new here and first post and I may be asking some crazy questions, I enjoy the looks of the Rebel over the Limited so if you don't mind:
1) Its the rebel as street compliant as the Limited? I really don't offload much, I live in south Louisiana, rains a lot and would rather not be sliding and drifting on city roads.
2) The headlights, are they a lower grade LED's than the Limited, I live in an area with no street lights and need all the help I can get not to run people over walking their dogs, my other cars have a corning light that shines when I turn the wheel, helps a lot.
3) Is the Rebel a bit more bouncy than the Limited on pavement since the tires and shocks are more off road oriented? I ask this question because of a post I read from a Raptor owner that said he had issues on interstate road imperfections that would cause him to bounce all over the highway at a high speeds.
Thanks in advance

1.Never driven a Limited but the Rebel is pretty good on the road, never had a problem sliding with mine in snow/ice unless I wanted too.
2.The lights are good, they may not rotate/turn like the Limiteds but they project quite far off to the sides and you also have the LED fog lights too and they will come on as a cornering light too.
3.Rebel a little more stiff but it doesn't bounce. I would say compared to my 2014 Outdoorsman with air suspension that the Rebel felt smoother on the highway.

George

Reaction score
Thanks, good to get meaningful feedback from actual owners, it helps for sure. It sure would be nice to rent a short list for a week a significant purchase that we will live with for some time, it would be money well spent I think but until then I will test drive

RichT

Reaction score
1300 miles into my Rebel 12 with a born on date of 11/18. Zero issues, knock on wood.

Remcochris04

Reaction score
I have a Rebel 12 with 700 miles so far. It may just be the tires but between 25-50mph I seem to begetting a lot of road noise inside the cab. Anyone else have this issue? Other than that it rides like a freakin dream!

lonestar_penta19

Reaction score
Your truck and boat are awesome OP (robe2388) I love the Rebel. As a side: My son is serving in the USMC. (MOS 2111) Thank you for your service!

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Congrats on the truck! I just wanted to comment and mention that the brake pedal noise you're hearing when selecting Park is the Automatic Electric Parking Brake engaging. You can turn this setting off in the Uconnect settings. The starter noise happens to me (and others here) as well, but I haven't seen anything on the forums about what it actually is. My theory is starter solenoid engaging less than perfectly with the flywheel.

robe2388

Reaction score
Congrats on the truck! I just wanted to comment and mention that the brake pedal noise you're hearing when selecting Park is the Automatic Electric Parking Brake engaging. You can turn this setting off in the Uconnect settings. The starter noise happens to me (and others here) as well, but I haven't seen anything on the forums about what it actually is. My theory is starter solenoid engaging less than perfectly with the flywheel.

Hey, it’s actually the shif know that is making the noise, I read some other people have this issue as well. It’s the sound of the locking mechanism that prevents you from shifting if the break pedal isn’t pushed, hence i only heard the noise when in park.

edgarrian

Reaction score
Basdass truck. I was suppose to get mine yesterday but it wasn't in the dealer yet. So im hoping they will get it today and then deliver it to me since im working. I was really looking forward to driving my new truck from dealership to work. Oh well it helped me in finalizing my deal as yesterday was when I did all the paperwork.

robe2388

Reaction score
Basdass truck. I was suppose to get mine yesterday but it wasn't in the dealer yet. So im hoping they will get it today and then deliver it to me since im working. I was really looking forward to driving my new truck from dealership to work. Oh well it helped me in finalizing my deal as yesterday was when I did all the paperwork.

I know that feeling brother. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread