5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

$5 worth of preventative maintenance could save your life!

RT70808

Reaction score
Now that I have your attention, this is another post about the power steering failure.
Short version,
The evening I drove my truck home the power steering went off / on and I almost drove off of an interstate on-ramp. The next day the dealer diagnosed it as a problem in the power steer sensor (this is before the recall notice). Their solution was to replace the steering rack by taking one off of another truck since there were no parts available. All was well. Recall posted. During my free oil change the recall was marked as completed. Six months later it happened once. Took it in for an oil change, left it over night they said nothing was wrong or reporting an error. This past week, every morning for four days in a row I pull out of the driveway no power steering, then it engages. Today I dropped by the dealer and asked them to check the cable and they told me i would have to leave it. Instead I left. I searched the forums and found the location of the culprit ground cable and the nut was probably 1/4” from being tightened all the way down. Backed it off some more, applied some blue lock tite and tightened it back down. All is well.

My .02, since I have the air suspension when the truck gets moving and raises ride height there is enough tension to make a good enough connection. Over time the raising and lowering is causing this cable to come loose.
Do yourself a favor and next time you are under the hood put some lock tite on this pesky ground cable. It is directly under the fuse box.
2644055F-AB38-4152-9060-885AF6F64B9F.jpeg 05F164F8-7DDE-4C56-8E7D-3C48A30AA75F.jpeg 69E7C2F9-5D33-4CB2-AA67-F5485404E068.jpeg

Grayman5752

Reaction score
See, now that’s a good find. I’ll remember that if I get one that comes through the shop with the same issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread