5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5 th gen Uconnect

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So the 12” infotainment I have, is that Uconnect 4 or 5? I really want Wireless CarPlay.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You would have the "4th Gen". Unconnect 5 isn't out yet.

Per the article, Uconnect 5 will be available later this year. Fiat Chrysler hasn't officially said which cars will get the system first, but expect it to become equipment on virtually every product from the company.

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
What are the odds that this Uconnect update will be available for all users who currently have Uconnect 4? Do you think this will only be for new trucks or will they allow others (2019 and early 2020 models) to upgrade?

cwelect1

Reaction score
What are the odds that this Uconnect update will be available for all users who currently have Uconnect 4? Do you think this will only be for new trucks or will they allow others (2019 and early 2020 models) to upgrade?
The article noted improvements in the hardware, so I believe that means you would need new UC 5 unit. I don't have enough Ram experience to know if they will also offer a UC 5 software update for existing UC 4 hardware. Anyone else know?

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
The article noted improvements in the hardware, so I believe that means you would need new UC 5 unit. I don't have enough Ram experience to know if they will also offer a UC 5 software update for existing UC 4 hardware. Anyone else know?
Right, I am kind of hoping that the current hardware in the "all new" RAM models would meet the minimum spec requirements for UC 5 but who knows. Guessing RAM will unfortunately use it as a marketing ploy for new RAM purchases and not update all of the UC 4 ones that have the hardware requirements but nobody knows for sure.

Maconi

Reaction score
UC5 uses a different OS and requires much better hardware. I've had previous FCA vehicles and I've never seen them roll out upgrades to older vehicles. I'm afraid if you bought the truck with UC4 then that's what it'll have forever. You could probably take a UC5 unit off a wrecked 2021 Ram 1500 or something, but then there might be compatibility issues (certain commands/buttons might stop working).

I'm fine with UC4 though. I just wish it had wireless Android Auto (what's the point in the wireless charging mat when I have to plug into USB anyway) and that the uConnect mobile app (remote start and what not) worked better.

Users who are viewing this thread