5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5 deg. Incline rolling forward in reverse

DomW

Reaction score
Yesterday I was parked facing down hill and put the truck in reverse and it starts rolling forward. I slowly press on the accelerator pedal and then it lurches backwards. The 4WD dash inclinometer says it was only a 5 degree incline but I think it was a little more than that. My biggest beef with this truck is the accelerator pedal. Questions: Is this normal? Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a transmission, accelerator or idle RPM issue? How accurate is the inclinometer? Should I look into the Pedal Commander?

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t have the inclinometer, but whenever I am on a hill the truck will hold itself there with the brakes until I give it some throttle.

I notice it mostly at the boat ramp where it takes a good amount of throttle to even get moving forward or reveres. I don’t think it’s a setting I turned on but maybe see if there is something in the Uconnect about hill start assist or hill braking.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine has hill hold...it may be a setting in the user menu?

Most modern transmissions will let the vehicle roll unless brake is applied, unless there's an auto-hold feature.

My '11 Ford, '15 VW, and '21 RAM all have it: it holds, but only for a set amount of time. (Varies from manufacturer. About 5 seconds seems "normal".) After that, the brake releases and it'll roll.

DomW

Reaction score
It does have hill hold which is set to on. I have a 'feeling' it may be for facing uphill so you don't roll back into that SUV two inches of your bumper. Pedal Commander may be the way to fix my gripes about the accelerator pedal, I'll look into it and see if there are alternatives.

Users who are viewing this thread