5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.7L e-Torque Turns Off - Shuts down when stopped

4jlcc

Reaction score
Hey, I took it to the dealer and they had it for 1.5 days and found ice build up in a harness. It's -40 up here in Alberta.
My code turned off the next day before I took it in, but was running fine with it on and when it turned it self off.

They couldn't find anything wrong with the fuel injection system, the electrical, the etorque or start and stop.
I believe it's from the auto start and stop. Mine activates when I'm rolling to a stop say 5kmh or less it will engage auto stop and roll until I stop.
So I think it was a fault in that system, which tricked the fuel injection system.
Thank you. I completely agree with your theory. I felt like the system got "confused" when it was trying to auto shut off at about the same time I was letting off the brake to go to gas. Too coincidental that this happened to us under similar circumstances.
Thanks again and stay warm up there!

SilasB

Reaction score
Had this happen to me today. Flat ground. 65 degrees. About broke my brain as I tried to figure WTF was going on.

Truck is headed in for it's first oil change / tire rotation this week. Guess I've got something to add the 'customer states' block.

4jlcc

Reaction score
Had this happen to me today. Flat ground. 65 degrees. About broke my brain as I tried to figure WTF was going on.

Truck is headed in for it's first oil change / tire rotation this week. Guess I've got something to add the 'customer states' block.
Did your check engine light come on and if so does it show injection system failure as the reason in the RAM app? Please post what the dealership finds if you don't mind. I disconnected my battery for about 20 minutes which cleared the check engine light and it has not happened again.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have a 2019, and I experience 2 malfunctions periodically with stop/start:
1. While at a stop light with engine stopped(via stop/start), the system shuts the motor off completely and shifts to park. Cars behind me honk to go as I'm trying to get the damn thing started again.
2. Stopped as above, but when I let foot off the brake, the motor hesitates to start then as I go to push on the gas, it abruptly starts causing a jolt forward.

When this system works, it works better than other vehicles I've driven that had this. But, too many malfunctions that I don't trust it. I haven't taken it in yet because I'm sure they will say that they couldn't recreate it and that it tests out fine.

Tinshield

Reaction score
Same exact issue happened to me this morning with 300 miles on it. I got It going again after shifting to park and releasing the parking brake and turned off start/stop. Got a weird drivetrain vibration soon after so I pulled off and turned the engine off. After I got going again it seemed to run fine but the check engine light is still lit. Two errors were thrown and appear in my Ram app:
  1. Charging System Failure
  2. EOBD/Injection System Failure
It does appear that start/stop may be disabled by the truck at the moment but I’ll check later. I didn’t want to take a chance testing that on my way to work. Going to bring it in next week.

Last edited:

Tinshield

Reaction score
Just to follow up. I disconnected the battery for 20 minutes which cleared the errors and it’s working as it was before. I can only suspect if you hit the throttle, brake and start/stop trigger just right something is tripping an error and shutting everything down. I’m going to keep an eye on it. Seems like a recall brewing in my opinion. Not really feeling like getting rear ended.

Bigdumps

Reaction score
Same exact issue happened to me this morning with 300 miles on it. I got It going again after shifting to park and releasing the parking brake and turned off start/stop. Got a weird drivetrain vibration soon after so I pulled off and turned the engine off. After I got going again it seemed to run fine but the check engine light is still lit. Two errors were thrown and appear in my Uconnect app:
  1. Charging System Failure
  2. EOBD/Injection System Failure
It does appear that start/stop may be disabled by the truck at the moment but I’ll check later. I didn’t want to take a chance testing that on my way to work. Going to bring it in next week.
I had the same codes. But my cel went away on its own the next day. Dealer found nothing.

mwoods269

Reaction score
Same issues here
  • took it to the dealer yesterday (after I started a RamCare case)
  • RAM App showed
    • Charging System Failure
    • EOBD/Injection System Failure
  • Uconnect screen also popped up batter failure warning telling me to tap button to call. That screen was half way off the screen and the button to call does nothing
  • Dealer stated the code/issue is not currently happening in the system and Ram recommended to clear the codes and see if it happens again
  • battery
  • voltage is always between 14 and 14.5v when running. Drops when auto-engine shuts off
  • the same day I got home from the dealer and shut the truck off, the same battery failure message popped up on the Uconnect screen again.
Note: my brother has a 2020 limited, no codes, no messages and his truck kept dying. Ended up being a bad cell in the battery after 3 visits to the dealership.

Tinshield

Reaction score
When it comes time to replace the battery I'm definitely not going to cheap out.

putz21

Reaction score
This just happened to me on my new 2022 Limited with less than 500 miles on it. It scared the crap out of me as I had my entire family in the car.

I was just rolling slowly to a stop when my engine shut off and put itself into park. It felt like the auto start/stop system got confused. The other thing I noticed before this happened, I was displaying Waze on my full 12" Uconnect screen. For some odd reason, only half the screen of Waze was showing and the entire bottom half was cut off with just a blank white screen. Not sure if related to battery issue or not.

After the truck shut off and came to a stop, I saw some messages displayed on the Uconnect Screen but I can't remember exactly what it said. Something like battery or charging system malfunction or something like that. Saw message to put my foot on the brake and start the truck. Eventually the Battery light went away, however the Engine light is still on. I just dropped it off to the dealer yesterday, showed them the messages that I was alerted with, and they will try and diagnose on Monday. Luckily this happened at the stop sign before the one that would have been pulling out into a higher speed road.

RAM Alerts.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online