5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.7L e-Torque Turns Off - Shuts down when stopped

SirEnigma

Reaction score
Wanted to know if someone else had this issue. Searched but could not find one like this: Was driving in town with stop and go traffic. When I stopped the traffic started to go the engine shut off like what I thought was normal but then I hear dinging. I push the gas pedal and nothing happened. Looking down I see Press the break to start the engine. I do have the auto e-brake when put into park and the Auto Start / Stop on so when I did start the truck up the e-break was on and the system had it in park.

jonnyrebel88

Reaction score
Wanted to know if someone else had this issue. Searched but could not find one like this: Was driving in town with stop and go traffic. When I stopped the traffic started to go the engine shut off like what I thought was normal but then I hear dinging. I push the gas pedal and nothing happened. Looking down I see Press the break to start the engine. I do have the auto e-brake when put into park and the Auto Start / Stop on so when I did start the truck up the e-break was on and the system had it in park.
Weird question but did you have your seat belt on?

BobK

Reaction score
My wifes Subaru has this as a feature, its so you dont have to hold the break when you stop at a light then you tap it to restart the engine But I dont have that in my 2021 Bighorn with auto stop/start and I dont know if its available on the higher end RAM's but your message says you have a Bighorn too, so doesn't sound like that is the cause. But thought I would mention it.

Mr. Grumpy

Reaction score
Mine turned the engine completely off while I was stopping this morning. The weird thing is that the vehicle was still rolling when it happened. I had to place the transmission in park and re-start the truck. Is the first time it happens.

SirEnigma

Reaction score
Mine turned the engine completely off while I was stopping this morning. The weird thing is that the vehicle was still rolling when it happened. I had to place the transmission in park and re-start the truck. Is the first time it happens.
I was waiting behind a few cars at a red light so was not moving. It put a small panic in me when I had to step on the brake to start the engine as said on the dash board. The Truck auto put itself in park and put the e-brake on. I think yours is worse as you are rolling and need to put in park. I did call the place I bought it from only having 840 miles on it but the techs have not seen that issue yet.

Mr. Grumpy

Reaction score
Well, it happened again. The weird part is the it happened in the exact same place as the first time. I have an appointment for tomorrow. Hopefully there's a fault stored in the ECM.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My wife's vehicle (Honda Pilot) will completely stall with the start/stop if the car battery is weak.

In these etorque systems they are run by the 48V battery, I wonder if there's something wrong with yours?

GregHBNA

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Did ya open the door while you were stopped for some reason?

jmt8706

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Different vehicle, but my '19 Cherokee Trailhawk applied the park brake at an intersection while the transmission was in drive. I was on a slight incline, stopped at the light, the start stop engaged, and the park brake applied. I did have the "automatic" park brake setting activated. I since turned it off, and manually apply it when I park. No issues since.

66Fuelie

Reaction score
Did it do a auto shift to park when this happened or did you have to rotate it to park?
Tom

WK21

Reaction score
Ive had this same thing happen to me twice. Brand new truck, under 500 miles. Taking it to the dealership tomorrow.

Reverse

Reaction score
were you stopped on an incline?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, it happened again. The weird part is the it happened in the exact same place as the first time. I have an appointment for tomorrow. Hopefully there's a fault stored in the ECM.
It might be worth getting a cheapo obd2 diagnostic tool to see that a code is stored. If you don’t have a code stored or symptoms happening when you take it to the dealer, then you’re just setting yourself up for disappointment. They can’t think for themselves, they just read by the numbers to figure out problems.

Edit: just realized this is from March, lol

WK21

Reaction score
were you stopped on an incline?
Nope just flat ground. Stopped at a stop sign, started moving again and the truck shut down. Tried to get an OBD reading and nothing came up. I’ve got a engine and battery light, taking it to the dealer tomorrow

Bigdumps

Reaction score
Nope just flat ground. Stopped at a stop sign, started moving again and the truck shut down. Tried to get an OBD reading and nothing came up. I’ve got a engine and battery light, taking it to the dealer tomorrow
Had this happen to me. Just once on My 22 1500 gt etorque.
My check engine like came on and stayed in after I restarted it. Never happened again.
Thankfully the code appeared on the ram app. Took it to the dealer, and of course the light was off when I got there the next morning. But I attached a screenshot of what was diagnosed.
Dealer has had it just for today and are keeping it to do further diagnostics.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211228-181407.png
    Screenshot_20211228-181407.png
    96.4 KB · Views: 60

4jlcc

Reaction score
Had this happen to me. Just once on My 22 1500 gt etorque.
My check engine like came on and stayed in after I restarted it. Never happened again.
Thankfully the code appeared on the ram app. Took it to the dealer, and of course the light was off when I got there the next morning. But I attached a screenshot of what was diagnosed.
Dealer has had it just for today and are keeping it to do further diagnostics.
Any update on this? Happened to me today and I have the same diagnostic from the Ram app. Stopped at a stop sign and truck just died. Check engine light still on although truck seems to be running fine.

Bigdumps

Reaction score
Any update on this? Happened to me today and I have the same diagnostic from the Ram app. Stopped at a stop sign and truck just died. Check engine light still on although truck seems to be running fine.
Hey, I took it to the dealer and they had it for 1.5 days and found ice build up in a harness. It's -40 up here in Alberta.
My code turned off the next day before I took it in, but was running fine with it on and when it turned it self off.

They couldn't find anything wrong with the fuel injection system, the electrical, the etorque or start and stop.
I believe it's from the auto start and stop. Mine activates when I'm rolling to a stop say 5kmh or less it will engage auto stop and roll until I stop.
So I think it was a fault in that system, which tricked the fuel injection system.

Users who are viewing this thread