5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.7L Dripping Oil

aplotkin

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what this part is? It's at the front of the engine bay, at the very bottom, below the oil filter. It seems to he leaking oil. 20211223_173428.jpg

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I ran the part# on the QR code sticker in your pic and it says rack and pinion. Is the Ram power steering electrically activated and hydraulically actuated? If so, it might be hydraulic fluid or it might be oil that dripped onto the rack and pinion from a recent oil change.

aplotkin

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. It is a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie with the 5.7L engine.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Double check to make sure it isn't oil from your last oil change. It could be the dealership tech allowed the oil from the change to get everywhere and didn't bother to clean it up. Usually 1/2 a quart will spill out during an oil filter change.

Wipe it down and drive it some more, which will help identify if there is a leak or that it was indeed form an previous oil change.

The Critic

Reaction score
In addition to the above, check the oil pressure switch and the oil cooler. Mine was leaking from both.

Users who are viewing this thread