5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.7 longevity

Denovice

Reaction score
Hey all, been eyeing up a 2011 Ram 2500 on Facebook and like what I see but it has 200k on it. I just wanna hear what you guys know about how long the lifespan of these engines is.
Thanks

834k3r

Reaction score
As the resident Captain Obvious, I say it probably has more to do with how it was maintained and driven than the engine itself. Does the seller have copies of receipts or logs of engine work done on the rig? If so, the seller probably took good care of it.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Engine longevity is directly affected by maintenance. Like Captain Obvious above said, "I say it probably has more to do with how it was maintained and driven than the engine itself". Having said that, 200k is getting up there. Even a well maintained engine will wear out. I'd have a professional mechanic check it out before buying. It's money well spent.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All depends on maintenance but I would consider a top end rebuild at least with that mileage....valve springs, seals, lifters, water pump, timing set, oil pump (since you'll be in there), etc.. That said, I've known a few people with more than 200k on a 5.7.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'd avoid all 5.7 hemis built between 2009 and 2014, they have a much higher rate of lifter tick/failure.

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
A 2009 – 2016 5.7 Hemi w 200k miles is a valve train time bomb imho. 2017 the lifter rollers were redesigned with larger needle bearings.

My 2011 5.7 Hemi went 179k miles to lifter failure towing a 7k# trailer 84K miles. Meticulously maintained.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is the body in good shape? Depending on how much it is, it may be worth buying for a rebuild if everything else looks good. As it is I wouldn't trust that valvetrain, but could be worth doing a rebuild on at the right price.

Dulghum

Reaction score
It's all depends on how well it’s been taken care of and what condition it’s in now. Well taken care 5.7’s can last many many more miles than that.
At 200k miles you're probably looking at replacing ... Everything. Engine transmission etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online