5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.7 knocking at cold start?

Jpkg9257

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2021 Ram last week that had 31 miles on it. This morning I hit the remote start and heard a pretty severe knocking which cleared up after a few seconds. Is that normal?

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just purchased a 2021 Ram last week that had 31 miles on it. This morning I hit the remote start and heard a pretty severe knocking which cleared up after a few seconds. Is that normal?
There is a thread on this but I am unfamiliar with the title. I believe it is in the manual (written somewhere) on the later years. I have a 2019 and there is no mention of it in a 2019 manual to my knowledge.

Last edited:

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
any engine knock is NEVER normal. IF...it is a knock, as opposed to noisy valvetrain when cold-started.

U

User_3336

a 2021 NEW with 21 miles on it? what was the date of manufacture?

BowDown

Reaction score
Likely lifter clatter on startup and not engine knock. Stops once the lifters pump up.

Jpkg9257

Reaction score
a 2021 NEW with 21 miles on it? what was the date of manufacture?
31 miles. I bought it from a local/reputable used car dealer. They had 3 21 models with under 100 miles. I can look in the morning.

U

User_3336

I'm confused. a '21 with 31 miles is on a used car lot? How does that happen?

Gerry
That why I asked at first. One dealer here never sold some '19 Sierra's, so somehow they claimed the rebates while they still could, and took them to auction. Antother dealer bought them. A bit twisted (orig dealer no longer in business), but they were two year old tricks with about 200 miles on them.

U

User_3336

On another note, there was a dealer north of where I live in TN, that had 3 2020 Ram Tradesman trucks that sit on the lot forever. Looked at one, but same sympton, very loud knocking noise in the Hemi engine. Trucks were probably not started regularly or moved on the lot, therefore oil was starved at the top of the engine. As I recall, it went away after about 5 minutes of idling after the fluids started flowing and oil pressure become stable. Didn't test drive it because the loud clanking sorta turned me off.

Jako

Reaction score
2022 Owner's Manual page 409
ENGINE OIL — GAS ENGINE Engine Oil Selection — Gasoline Engine Use only the manufacturer's recommended fluids, page 473.
NOTE: Hemi engines (5.7L) at times can tick right after startup and then quiet down after approximately 30 seconds. This is normal and will not harm the engine. This characteristic can be caused by short drive cycles. For example, if the vehicle is started then shut off after driving a short distance. Upon restarting, you may experience a ticking sound. Other causes could be if the vehicle is unused for an extended period of time, incorrect oil, extended oil changes or extended idling. If the engine continues to tick or if the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) comes on, see the nearest authorized dealer

U

User_3336

2022 Owner's Manual page 409
ENGINE OIL — GAS ENGINE Engine Oil Selection — Gasoline Engine Use only the manufacturer's recommended fluids, page 473.
NOTE: Hemi engines (5.7L) at times can tick right after startup and then quiet down after approximately 30 seconds. This is normal and will not harm the engine. This characteristic can be caused by short drive cycles. For example, if the vehicle is started then shut off after driving a short distance. Upon restarting, you may experience a ticking sound. Other causes could be if the vehicle is unused for an extended period of time, incorrect oil, extended oil changes or extended idling. If the engine continues to tick or if the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) comes on, see the nearest authorized dealer
A new vehicle sitting on the lot not started for a long period of time could exhibit the sound, only much louder.

Users who are viewing this thread