5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.7 Hemi Rev Limit? Damage?

blackopsram

Reaction score
*Cough* .. I've only done that once (that I remember) in the R/T LOL

your brain does a start-to-freak-out when you are like "why ain't i moving - did i blow the transmission"
Exactly! I was sitting there like, "am I not flooring it or is the truck not shifting?" Lmao.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well thats good to know brother. TRUST ME, after that I've had my share of scares, haha. Appreciate the advice man.

No worries!
It (Durango R/T) is my first Hemi and I LOVE IT! And I was scared about gas mileage but was impressed I could make it to Chicago on a full tank (just like my lil 4-banger Malibu) and had the GUTS to pass people if needed.
I grew up Chevy guy (well Buick Regal is what I learned to drive in and that thing beat any 305 Camaro or 302 Mustang)
I'm hoping the truck feels good once it breaks in.

Some of us may butt heads on here a little bit here and there, but for the most part, I have learned so much from these guys/gals in the short time I've been on here (and I don't even have my rig yet -- it was still in the paint booth yesterday -- most likely under the heating lamps to bake in the paint).

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I did the same thing, though I think I only hit 4,700 rpms or so, just remember them climbing all of a sudden because I pushed down on the (-) gear selector.

The important thing is that you cannot over-rev your motor with the transmission controls we have. The computer will prevent a traditional "money" shift since you cannot downshift enough to actually mechanically over-rev the motor. The selector won't allow you to go down too low a gear for the given rpm you are in.

If you hit those revs on a cold motor then I would say it was probably not ideal, but certainly not an issue with a motor up to temp, especially since it sounds like your weren't under any heavy load. The manual actually recommends a doing some full throttle acceleration while at cruising speed to help with break in, though it says to avoid low gear full throttle, such as 0-60 stoplight style runs since those are under heavy loads, at least for the first 300 miles.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I did the same thing, though I think I only hit 4,700 rpms or so, just remember them climbing all of a sudden because I pushed down on the (-) gear selector.

The important thing is that you cannot over-rev your motor with the transmission controls we have. The computer will prevent a traditional "money" shift since you cannot downshift enough to actually mechanically over-rev the motor. The selector won't allow you to go down too low a gear for the given rpm you are in.

If you hit those revs on a cold motor then I would say it was probably not ideal, but certainly not an issue with a motor up to temp, especially since it sounds like your weren't under any heavy load. The manual actually recommends a doing some full throttle acceleration while at cruising speed to help with break in, though it says to avoid low gear full throttle, such as 0-60 stoplight style runs since those are under heavy loads, at least for the first 300 miles.
The manual recommends that? Well, I’ll just send my son and grandson out in my wifes’ Limited to assist with break-in, uhh, maybe not... :unsure::whistle:(n)

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The manual recommends that? Well, I’ll just send my son and grandson out in my wifes’ Limited to assist with break-in, uhh, maybe not... :unsure::whistle:(n)

Lol, probably not a good idea with that scenario. The manual of course states that you do that "within the local road laws", which is pretty hard to do. I think maybe as you are merging on the freeway would be the easiest way to get a nice quick pull.

silver billet

Reaction score
Lol, probably not a good idea with that scenario. The manual of course states that you do that "within the local road laws", which is pretty hard to do. I think maybe as you are merging on the freeway would be the easiest way to get a nice quick pull.

On ramps is where I've been doing that too. I did my first long pull the other day, started at about 35 km/h coming out of the curve in the ramp, then dug into the pedal quite deep; sucker pulls strong I'll say that. Just kept on going and going. It was an open freeway with only 1 trucker far up ahead. Think I stopped at 150 km/h but it felt like it would keep going well beyond that.

(immediately afterwards I felt bad about making it work that hard of course; I normally drive like a little ole granny.)

SD Rebel

Reaction score
On ramps is where I've been doing that too. I did my first long pull the other day, started at about 35 km/h coming out of the curve in the ramp, then dug into the pedal quite deep; sucker pulls strong I'll say that. Just kept on going and going. It was an open freeway with only 1 trucker far up ahead. Think I stopped at 150 km/h but it felt like it would keep going well beyond that.

(immediately afterwards I felt bad about making it work that hard of course; I normally drive like a little ole granny.)

You're helping set the rings, you are doing the right thing :) Just avoid those hard pulls at a stop, where the load is heaviest, at least for the first 300 miles. I'm going to take it easy for 500 miles, then do a "break in" oil change. Once I hit 1,000 miles, I'll start driving it like I stole it and any towing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/