5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.7 Hemi MDS question

KY_Rob

Reaction score
Hi All,

I bought one of the new 2019 Rams about a month ago. I just started reading and seeing some posts regarding the MDS lifter issues. I just came out of a Chevy truck and they have a similar issue. The fix with the Chevy was to either disable it via a tuner, or via a device plugged into the computer port. I see the Dodge motors had a similar issue with lifters, valves and timing chains between years say 2006ish to 2014ish? But looks like when the 2015 and 2016 models came it this was resolved by Chrysler using better lifters, harder cams, and improved timing chains.

I guess my question(s) would be if anyone from 2016 - 2019 has had any of these issues (they seemed to occur anywhere from 40K to 200K miles from what I have read), and/or what fixes has anyone with a newer truck using (tunes, Range device etc)?

Thanks!

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These engines have been around a long time and there are millions on the road. I think you're good

19HemiSport

Reaction score
I am actually taking my 19 BigHorn in. When in MDS mode or "ECO" there is a big delay when I accelerate and it's on 90% of the time. Also there is a weird vacuum noise randomly under the hood AND it idles rough...
ba937b7914b884f665a32669ad88e968.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

U

User_3336

Biggest favor you can do yourself if to turn MDS off! Its annoying, and it really doesn't have the huge fuel savings that its supposed to. And why would you want your 8cylinder, powerful HEMI running in 4 cylinder mode (I call it limp mode).

On your steering wheel, hit the "-" button until the info center display shows "8" for the gear limiter. MDS will NEVER come on, and you will not have any issues associated with it.

KY_ROB, the same issues on the GM trucks, called AFM is even worse, and quite more noticeable. Its not so easy to turn it off without a device called an "AFM DISABLER".

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Biggest favor you can do yourself if to turn MDS off! Its annoying, and it really doesn't have the huge fuel savings that its supposed to. And why would you want your 8cylinder, powerful HEMI running in 4 cylinder mode (I call it limp mode).

On your steering wheel, hit the "-" button until the info center display shows "8" for the gear limiter. MDS will NEVER come on, and you will not have any issues associated with it.

KY_ROB, the same issues on the GM trucks, called AFM is even worse, and quite more noticeable. Its not so easy to turn it off without a device called an "AFM DISABLER".
Because when 8 cylinders aren't needed why waste fuel? On my Jeep SRT it was 2mpg difference on the highway with MDS on and off. You could watch it change all day. It seems similar with the ram although it comes on a little less in the ram.

The system on the ram is 100x smoother and I barely notice compared to the Jeep. On the keeps the whole car would vibrate and you could hear it.

U

User_3336

some folks love MDS, some hate it. One can argue points all day.

Because when 8 cylinders aren't needed why waste fuel? On my Jeep SRT it was 2mpg difference on the highway with MDS on and off. You could watch it change all day. It seems similar with the ram although it comes on a little less in the ram.

The system on the ram is 100x smoother and I barely notice compared to the Jeep. On the keeps the whole car would vibrate and you could hear it.

KY_Rob

Reaction score

YEah I had the AFM Disabler on my Chevy, and still have it, but not sure it the same device can be used on the Ram or if it would need to be a Ram specific device. Using the info center method you described, is that something you have to do on every startup, or you do it once and your done?

AndreiV

Reaction score
YEah I had the AFM Disabler on my Chevy, and still have it, but not sure it the same device can be used on the Ram or if it would need to be a Ram specific device. Using the info center method you described, is that something you have to do on every startup, or you do it once and your done?
Everytime you shift to D you will need to disable MDS. Everytime you shift to P (may be R as well) it will be reset and enabled.

U

User_3336

I mean come on folks, It takes less than 5 seconds to disable MDS via the +/- buttons. If you don't like MDS engaging, and you're too lazy to disable it like this, then leave it on, and live with it.

U

User_3336

OBD2 "disablers" are specific to the truck/engine. They operate seperately on the canbus network.

AndreiV

Reaction score
I mean come on folks, It takes less than 5 seconds to disable MDS via the +/- buttons. If you don't like MDS engaging, and you're too lazy to disable it like this, then leave it on, and live with it.
Agree, I disable mine everytime once I pull out from my driveway without even thinking about it.

U

User_3336

Its just an instant reaction and more of a habit now. I usually just wait til I'm in 8th gear and I only have to hit "-" once.

Agree, I disable mine everytime once I pull out from my driveway without even thinking about it.

ram0686

Reaction score
Its just an instant reaction and more of a habit now. I usually just wait til I'm in 8th gear and I only have to hit "-" once.

I don't even give it a chance to naturally cycle to 8 in the morning... Once backing up is done and switched into D... it goes to 8 immediately!!!

KY_Rob

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's posts and advice. I started using the gear limiter to disable this as well, and believe it or not my MPG has gone up! With MDS I was just above 17 MPG and now after 3 - 4 days of no MDS it is now registering just a shade under 18.

Users who are viewing this thread