5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.7 HEMI lifters/cam

Americantruck04

Reaction score
Are the new hemis still having lifter/cam issues?

Only thing I've found is they think they did something on 2015 and up to fix the issue but the way people are talking they're still having issues.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's talked about a ton in the drivetrain forums. From what I've gathered the general consensus is that it's a non issue and there are hundreds of thousand of Hemis on the road with no issues. Noone knows what changes may have been made around 2013-2015 but they think something changed that improved the reliability.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FWIW...I am in the industrial bearing and power transmission industry, have been for over 30 years.
In 2010 the largest producer of needle roller bearings in North America, Torrington (what is on the end of a lifter) was acquired by JTEKT/Koyo. During any acquisition, there are ALWAYS transitional issues, and I know first hand the acquiring company wasn't immune to this at the time. At that time I had some of my own issues with them. Those growing pains usually work out in a few year's time, which is just about the timeline people are saying the problem was greatly reduced. Coincidence? Maybe, but not likely.
I think they (FCA) have things figured out with the lifters. They either switched bearing suppliers or this one got their $h!t together and are still the supplier. I know on my end (Industrial side) things are better than they ever were prior to acquisition. JTEKT/Koyo is a Japanese headquartered company, with manufacturing all over the globe, USA included. They do make quality products and are serious about it as are most in Japan/USA as far as bearings go.
I for one am not worried in the least bit about a lifter issue popping up in my engine. I follow or exceed the oil change intervals with 5W20 full synthetic that meets or exceeds FCA spec. MS-6395.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FWIW...I am in the industrial bearing and power transmission industry, have been for over 30 years.
In 2010 the largest producer of needle roller bearings in North America, Torrington (what is on the end of a lifter) was acquired by JTEKT/Koyo. During any acquisition, there are ALWAYS transitional issues, and I know first hand the acquiring company wasn't immune to this at the time. At that time I had some of my own issues with them. Those growing pains usually work out in a few year's time, which is just about the timeline people are saying the problem was greatly reduced. Coincidence? Maybe, but not likely.
I think they (FCA) have things figured out with the lifters. They either switched bearing suppliers or this one got their $h!t together and are still the supplier. I know on my end (Industrial side) things are better than they ever were prior to acquisition. JTEKT/Koyo is a Japanese headquartered company, with manufacturing all over the globe, USA included. They do make quality products and are serious about it as are most in Japan/USA as far as bearings go.
I for one am not worried in the least bit about a lifter issue popping up in my engine. I follow or exceed the oil change intervals with 5W20 full synthetic that meets or exceeds FCA spec. MS-6395.

Nice information. When I was a contractor doing refurbishments we used a ton of Koyo bearings in our products. Always seemed very well made. This was around 2014.

U

User_3336

There is talk over in the ENGINE (Hemi) section forum.....

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can think of two Silverado owners with 5.3 motors that have had the same exact issue with lifter/cam failure. Like Ram, GM does not manufacture their own lifters, so the hypothesis of supplier quality impact makes sense.

Last week a friend of mine advised that his daughter's 2016 Malibu just had a cam failure. (different motor, of course.)

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 035239 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread