5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.7 eTorque vs 3.0 EcoDiesel - which is best for my scenario

rubrduk

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Hemi eTorque, but it's a lemon/buyback case due to an unidentifiable start/stop issue that causes the truck to die while driving, so I'm goign to be buying a new truck.

I do like the Hemi eTorque and would get another...but I do want to consider the EcoDiesel

My daily commute is about 70 miles roundtrip through the middle of Los Angeles (Valley to Marina via 210, 118, 405, 90),...prior to covid, it was a solid 90 minutes or more of stop/go traffic but with covid the drive is about 45 minutes

I tow an RV travel trailer 1-2 times per month, so I have the standard towing setup with 4wd, and I average 18,000 miles a year total

In a perfect world I would have a truck and commuter EV/hybrid, but limited parking, living in a high-insurance rate zip code, and current EV costs makes the single vehicle solution reasonable

Will the reliability, small fuel savings difference between the Hemi and EcoDiesel, and overall cost of ownership offset the higher cost of maintenace on the diesel?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t know how bad your route actually is since I’m on the opposite side of the country from you, but I have a 60 mile drive daily- mostly highway and 10 stop lights. I originally bought a 2021 hemi and realized pretty quickly that Gas was going to eat me alive. I let it go for five months and traded it in on a Ecodiesel. I’ve almost doubled my gas mileage. That being said, accelerating from a stop seems to sucks gas worse than a hemi. I guess it was an extremely long-winded way to say I don’t know.

rubrduk

Reaction score
I don’t know how bad your route actually is since I’m on the opposite side of the country from you, but I have a 60 mile drive daily- mostly highway and 10 stop lights. I originally bought a 2021 hemi and realized pretty quickly that Gas was going to eat me alive. I let it go for five months and traded it in on a Ecodiesel. I’ve almost doubled my gas mileage. That being said, accelerating from a stop seems to sucks gas worse than a hemi. I guess it was an extremely long-winded way to say I don’t know.
I'll take long-winded, that's good info on the "accelerating from stop" observation

The eTorque Hemi really shines in that perspective...and I was averaging 18mpg according to the dashboard (4x4, 3.92 gear)

I was considering the Hybrid F-150, but the reviews are really spotty...and that's a seriously hi-tech 1st Gen model that needs more refinement.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'll take long-winded, that's good info on the "accelerating from stop" observation

The eTorque Hemi really shines in that perspective...and I was averaging 18mpg according to the dashboard (4x4, 3.92 gear)

I was considering the Hybrid F-150, but the reviews are really spotty...and that's a seriously hi-tech 1st Gen model that needs more refinement.
My actual mpg with that same route I mentioned was between 15.2 and 15.7. My first tank on the ecodiesel doing that same route for the entirety of the tank was 28.6, and that’s on winter fuel.

rubrduk

Reaction score
My actual mpg with that same route I mentioned was between 15.2 and 15.7. My first tank on the ecodiesel doing that same route for the entirety of the tank was 28.6, and that’s on winter fuel.
damn!!

Dustin_Tarditi

Reaction score
My $.02

I got the eTorque quite by accident - bought the truck used before I knew what eTorque even was. Turns out that it's WAY better than my 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk was with stop/start. I don't mind stop/start at all now (I used to disable it on the Jeep) - it helps break the inertia well and contributes to smooth acceleration from a stop. It does help a little bit with the around town fuel economy, too.

Would I seek it out? Maybe.
Would I pay a lot extra for it? Probably not as desirable of a feature as others to me.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a 2019 Hemi and traded it in on a 2020 ecodiesel. I love the ecodiesel and went from about 18mpg to 28mpg. My best tank on the highway is 33mpg.

The ecodiesel is a great cruiser and tows very well. The extra low end torque is very nice and very obvious when towing.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My $.02

I got the eTorque quite by accident - bought the truck used before I knew what eTorque even was. Turns out that it's WAY better than my 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk was with stop/start. I don't mind stop/start at all now (I used to disable it on the Jeep) - it helps break the inertia well and contributes to smooth acceleration from a stop. It does help a little bit with the around town fuel economy, too.

Would I seek it out? Maybe.
Would I pay a lot extra for it? Probably not as desirable of a feature as others to me.
I agree with you on that. I too came from a 2018 trailhawk and that thing was awesome. My eTorque Hemi gets the same MPG's as that Penstar v6 did. I didn't baby the Jeep at all. I hated the start/stop on that thing though, but this truck is smooth as butter. After I did the math on me wanting to get the eco diesel like DJevox did I decided to keep the Hemi as in the long run the eco diesel would not save me anything on gas due to trading in amount on my truck at this moment. Plus in 3-4 years I would be trading again so I don't see the cost benefit.

Users who are viewing this thread