5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.7 etorque - Rough Ride/ Battery Issue. Trying to Connect the dots

TheDarkNight

Reaction score
I recently leased a 22 Ram limited. Drove it off the lot the first day and took it for a 120 mile drive. Smoothest most comfortable ride I’ve ever driven. 3 days later I was at work and went to leave, truck wouldn’t start. Jumped it and got back home. Next morning, wouldn’t start. Dealership replaced the battery that day and ever since, whenever I’m driving for 20-30 miles or more, the voltage drops to 13.0 and the truck rides very rough. A lot of vibration in the seat/steering wheel and arm rest. Gets worse the longer you drive. Have brought it in a couple times, most they did was an update to the HCP that fixed it for a few days until I went on another 100 mile drive.

It’s been to 3 dealerships in 3 diff states 😳. Bought it in NJ, they couldn’t replicate issue, dealership in NY basically did nothing. Drove 950 miles to see my in laws in FL and the dealership down here at least did the HCP update. I have a buddy who has the same vehicle and he said his battery never goes below 13.6 no matter what. Feel like I need a Ram engineer to tell me what a 5.7 etorque engine requires from a voltage standpoint.

I definitely see a correlation between voltage being above 13.2 and a smoother ride with no vibration. Whenever it is below that, it rides very rough. Kind of stumped and it seems like the dealership is looking at me like I’m crazy. Any info or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't see why battery voltage would have any impact on the ride, the 2 have nothing to do with one another and the ram doesn't have active suspension

Louhound88

Reaction score
I recently leased a 22 Ram limited. Drove it off the lot the first day and took it for a 120 mile drive. Smoothest most comfortable ride I’ve ever driven. 3 days later I was at work and went to leave, truck wouldn’t start. Jumped it and got back home. Next morning, wouldn’t start. Dealership replaced the battery that day and ever since, whenever I’m driving for 20-30 miles or more, the voltage drops to 13.0 and the truck rides very rough. A lot of vibration in the seat/steering wheel and arm rest. Gets worse the longer you drive. Have brought it in a couple times, most they did was an update to the HCP that fixed it for a few days until I went on another 100 mile drive.

It’s been to 3 dealerships in 3 diff states 😳. Bought it in NJ, they couldn’t replicate issue, dealership in NY basically did nothing. Drove 950 miles to see my in laws in FL and the dealership down here at least did the HCP update. I have a buddy who has the same vehicle and he said his battery never goes below 13.6 no matter what. Feel like I need a Ram engineer to tell me what a 5.7 etorque engine requires from a voltage standpoint.

I definitely see a correlation between voltage being above 13.2 and a smoother ride with no vibration. Whenever it is below that, it rides very rough. Kind of stumped and it seems like the dealership is looking at me like I’m crazy. Any info or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Hm, I have etorque(2021) and haven't experienced any issues.

The etorque serves as the alternator and generator. Alternator portion should recharge "12V" battery up front, as well as the 48V battery behind the backseat. I believe, haven't seen a wiring diagram.

To me it sounds like your etorque is boggin down, dragging down your voltage to 13.2 and lower. Whether thats a winding short within the alternator/generator windings or a wiring short between it and the battery sets.

20 to 30 miles may be enough to build heat in your etorque and allow winding short. Or could be something simpler.

But either way, they need to look at the 48V battery set, etorque itself, and wiring in between it and all batteries. Not just the front battery.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hm, I have etorque(2021) and haven't experienced any issues.

The etorque serves as the alternator and generator. Alternator portion should recharge "12V" battery up front, as well as the 48V battery behind the backseat. I believe, haven't seen a wiring diagram.

To me it sounds like your etorque is boggin down, dragging down your voltage to 13.2 and lower. Whether thats a winding short within the alternator/generator windings or a wiring short between it and the battery sets.

20 to 30 miles may be enough to build heat in your etorque and allow winding short. Or could be something simpler.

But either way, they need to look at the 48V battery set, etorque itself, and wiring in between it and all batteries. Not just the front battery.
Just as an FYI, the 12 volt battery does not get charged directly by the etorque gen/motor. The gen/motor charges the 48v battery system directly, which includes a DC to DC converter to supply the vehicle’s regular electrical loads and charge the 12-volt starter battery. If there is a problem in the etorque system, I'd suspect it's in the 48v battery system. There have been quite a few of these replaced, with the majority happening on 2019 models.

Louhound88

Reaction score
Just as an FYI, the 12 volt battery does not get charged directly by the etorque gen/motor. The gen/motor charges the 48v battery system directly, which includes a DC to DC converter to supply the vehicle’s regular electrical loads and charge the 12-volt starter battery. If there is a problem in the etorque system, I'd suspect it's in the 48v battery system. There have been quite a few of these replaced, with the majority happening on 2019 models.
Ok, makes sense. So low voltage on the 48V system as well then, further suggesting etorque fault. The rough ride/shuddering is interesting so i'm trying to think how bad battery/cells could cause that. Make gen/motor work harder to recharge, or gen/motor itself has an issue.

I did see a good bit of 2019 issues, and read that 2022 is a "new" etorque design. So makes sense how there could be more infant mortality issues happening again.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ok, makes sense. So low voltage on the 48V system as well then, further suggesting etorque fault. The rough ride/shuddering is interesting so i'm trying to think how bad battery/cells could cause that. Make gen/motor work harder to recharge, or gen/motor itself has an issue.

I did see a good bit of 2019 issues, and read that 2022 is a "new" etorque design. So makes sense how there could be more infant mortality issues happening again.
Not clear on what you mean by "etorque fault". I'm assuming you meant the generator/motor. If that's the case, failures on those has been almost non-existent. Not saying it can't happen, but the 48v battery assembly seems more likely based on past performance. Remember, it's not just a battery.

Users who are viewing this thread