5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.7 eTorque conventional 12v starter?

djwdjw

Reaction score
While I have read that there is supposed to be a conventional 12v starter on a 5.7 eTorque motor, I've am curious:

a) where is it located (haven't crawled under myself to look yet)?

b) under what conditions is it used vs. the eTorque motor/generator starts?

c) I'm curious if they built starting redundancy into the eTorque design - i.e. if one starting system had a problem, would the other stand-in?

Thanks for any info.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While I have read that there is supposed to be a conventional 12v starter on a 5.7 eTorque motor, I've am curious:

a) where is it located (haven't crawled under myself to look yet)?

b) under what conditions is it used vs. the eTorque motor/generator starts?

c) I'm curious if they built starting redundancy into the eTorque design - i.e. if one starting system had a problem, would the other stand-in?

Thanks for any info.

Conv starter is used on every cold start. Official reason is that in very cold situations, the LiIon battery doesn't have the same starting power and Ram didn't want to strand anyone.

MGU is only used on start/stops after truck running.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Correct. From everything I've been able to read on the subject, the conventional starter is still the most efficient way to cold start an engine. There is no redundancy in the eTorque implementation.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Limited uses the conventional starter every time I push the starter button. It uses the eTorque motor only when the engine stops by itself during operation.

The eTorque motor is also used for 5 other modes of operation

- Regeneration during braking
- Regen during engine rpm matching for upshifts
- raising rpm during downshifts
- immediate forward motion during re-starts
- regeneration during coasting or downhill

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread