5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.7 E-Torque or Eco Diesel?

Limited2021

Reaction score
So I ordered the 5.7 E-Torque motor in my 2021 limited because the dealer said that I should be able to get 18-19 mpg. I live in northwest Iowa so mostly highway miles (55-60). My question is will I get this? Everything I have been reading leans towards 15mpg as a more realistic number so now I am wondering if I should change my order to the eco diesel instead. I don't really pull anything other than a 16' lund boat a couple times a summer so power is not really an issue for me. I really don't care about the cost of the diesel motor over the gas so what do you guys think? 24+ mpg sure sound better than 15mpg

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ETrq does zero for your Hwy mileage.

On a sidenote: the Avg Hemi 1500 get about 16mpg lifetime according to Fuelly.

My ETrq Hemi is getting roughly 15.9mpg lifetime (18k miles so far) and I drive 90% Highway.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
18-19 mpg pure highway is achievable. E-Torque is not a factor, it won’t help highway mpg

DivingOtter

Reaction score
It comes down to a cost factor... the Eco is nearly 3k more than the Hemi (either one)... If your averaging about 15k miles a year, the math just doesn't work out to make it cost efficient... Especially when you add in the higher oil/ fluids and maintenance costs on the Eco. Once you break about 25-30k miles a year it makes a lot more sense economically. Best thing to do is to sit down and runs some numbers on an excell sheet to see how long you would have to have it to break even at a given diesel fuel cost. I ran mine based on my diesel jetta as a baseline (ok, not an entirely fair matchup I know, but it's MY other car). I compared both the Etorque and the Eco with the current gas costs, future gas costs and maintenance costs (oil, filters, etc) and the Etorque came out as cheaper until I hit about 35 years (given my mileage track record to date).

Eco gas mileage is better true, but thats not the ONLY costs associated with it in addition to the $3k upfront cost over the Hemi.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would stick with the Hemi- I can do 18-19 at 60mph on a flat road all day no problem with my non etorque. The diesel will get better mpg but at a higher initial cost, maint cost and generally higher fuel cost with DEF factored in.

DivingOtter

Reaction score
I would stick with the Hemi- I can do 18-19 at 60mph on a flat road all day no problem with my non etorque. The diesel will get better mpg but at a higher initial cost, maint cost and generally higher fuel cost with DEF factored in.
I've looked into it and DEF for price is burned at REALLY reduced rate vs the fuel. An oil change is almost 3-4 times the cost of DEF fill up and they seem to occur on about the same basis (3-4 tanks of DEF per oil change interval?) Eco folks chip in here....

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
If you can keep your foot out of it, you'll have no problem getting 18+ mpg on the highway. In my experience, fuel economy falls off fast above 65 mph. If you're mostly on two-lanes doing 55-60, you'll be getting great fuel economy.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I ordered the 5.7 E-Torque motor in my 2021 limited because the dealer said that I should be able to get 18-19 mpg. I live in northwest Iowa so mostly highway miles (55-60). My question is will I get this? Everything I have been reading leans towards 15mpg as a more realistic number so now I am wondering if I should change my order to the eco diesel instead. I don't really pull anything other than a 16' lund boat a couple times a summer so power is not really an issue for me. I really don't care about the cost of the diesel motor over the gas so what do you guys think? 24+ mpg sure sound better than 15mpg
You should get that yes! I’d stick with the 5.7 it’s a great motor! To early to tell about the etorque, it has a 8 year/80,000 mile warranty on that system I believe! I had a 19 with issues, vibration issues, ram finally bought it back, I had the 3:92 rear end and I got 24 mpg a few times under 60 mpg, must have had a tail wind. But yes with the 3:21 if you drive decent you should get 15-19 in town and 18-22 on the highway. Once you hit 65-79 that’s when my 19 dropped to 17-18! I had a 2021 5.7 etorque built so far I love it, but with only 275 miles too early to tell. Once you get used to the etorque you’ll love it, I do. It’s a flawless system as far as I can see, it’s much better then the other trucks stop/start for sure! Also once you hit about 5000 miles it will get better mpg, mine did . Pulling a large pop up, with the truck loaded with my 19 I’d get 13-15! I’m really not sure about the reliability of these new rams overall, guess we will see. Also had a 100% ram guy had a 4th gen eco and said never again, it never ran right, he now has the 5.7 again and loves it. I’m also in Iowa btw👍🏻😁 Good luck and enjoy your new truck!

Limited2021

Reaction score
Thanks everyone I just needed some real world drivers to say that they are getting the 18 mpg that the dealer said I should get. I'm sticking with the 5.7 then. I guess I was just a little worried that I was only going to get 15 unless I was going down hill with the wind at my back and the motor off to get to the 18! :)

JustCallMeD

Reaction score
I've looked into it and DEF for price is burned at REALLY reduced rate vs the fuel. An oil change is almost 3-4 times the cost of DEF fill up and they seem to occur on about the same basis (3-4 tanks of DEF per oil change interval?) Eco folks chip in here....
Max one tank of DEF per oil change.
I get my oil change and filter for $100 at the dealer through a hook up. It's full synthetic so you can change at 10,000 Km or more if not driving hard. So far no issues with the new Eco... Best mileage so far is 1150 KM on one tank (98L tank). Average is 850-900 60% city 40% hwy.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you don’t care about the costs than I’d get the ecodiesel. I get 26-27mpg on my daily 80 mile work commute in the warmer months. Been getting about 23mpg on the same commute in the winter. I’ve put just under 15k miles on mine in 6 months and it’s great. I’ve had a 2010, 2013, and 2019 rams with the Hemi and while it took some getting used to I love the ecodiesel.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Traded in my etorque Hemi for an Ecodiesel and don't regret it one bit. 16mpg average to 26mpg. I've had as high as 33mpg on a long road trip.
Plus the low end torque of the Ecodiesel is very noticeable. It rarely downshifts on hills and accelerates easily. The Hemi you have to wind out and always downshifts (both 3.92).

DEF consumption shouldn't even be factored in when considering a diesel. You'll use a tank every 5-6,000 miles and if you get it on sale or fill up at the big rig pumps it's $15-20 to fill the tank.

Oil changes are pricey at dealerships, but can be found cheaper or done yourself for under $100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/