5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5.7 can do it!

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice, yea these trucks can actualy get great mileage for what they are. Even the smaller new Canyon and Ranger will struggle to see that mileage.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You must have a magic one. I've never gotten past 19. I think I hit is once. And I am talking about long trips, not everyday driving.

beetlespin

Reaction score
Were you doing 50 MPH on a flat road? I can get close to that here in eastern NC. Speed limit is 55 and I set the cruise control.

silver billet

Reaction score
It can get pretty decent mpg if you coax it along.

My personal best, converted to mpg that = 28. Reset right before getting on highway, driving for 3 hours avg of 63mph, this was taken leaving the highway. I'm sure the computer is a little optimistic.

8.4 l100 _ 28 mpg.png

Av1

Reaction score
That looks impressive but looking at the time to miles driven, you were probably driving very slowly. I'm guessing 55mph posted Interstate speed limit for that area?

The interstate posted speeds in my area are 75-80mph. You would be a rolling roadblock driving that slowly.

Still impressive none the less. The 5.7 Hemi can get decent fuel economy.

I haven't taken a long trip in my truck yet to get a tank or two burned at interstate speeds. I've mostly done city driving or intracity highways getting from one side of town to the other.

I suspect I would get close to high teens (hand calculated) if I were to take a long trip at interstate speeds.

This is what my dash shows with mixed driving locally.

IMG_1995.JPG

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I just did a 9.5 hour drive hammering interstate 81 to 40 keeping around 80 (except when a truck needs to go a quarter mile per hour faster than the truck in the right lane or a Maryland driver was on the road stuck in the left lane). I averaged 16 mpg. Pretty good huh?

barrak

Reaction score
I just did a 9.5 hour drive hammering interstate 81 to 40 keeping around 80 (except when a truck needs to go a quarter mile per hour faster than the truck in the right lane or a Maryland driver was on the road stuck in the left lane). I averaged 16 mpg. Pretty good huh?
Not bad, really, for a 3.92 axel ratio, 35" tires and 4" lift at such speeds.

Do note that the OP has 3.21 axel ratio, and probably stock tires/suspension.

silver billet

Reaction score
The interstate posted speeds in my area are 75-80mph. You would be a rolling roadblock driving that slowly.

In my area most provincial/freeways are 100 km/h (60 mph). A few are now bumped up to 110. But big semis are still legally governed to somewhere around 105 km/h IIRC, so I have no trouble parking myself in the slow lane and keeping up with them.

I actually prefer sitting (a little ways) behind a semi. They are very calm compared to the guys in the other left lane(s). Slow to slow down, slow to speed up, they moderate all the little guys in front who are sporadic and can't hold a steady speed to save their life. Doubly so in stop and go traffic, they prefer to roll slowly but steadily as opposed to jumping on and off the brakes all the time.

Insanity

Reaction score
I average 17.8mpg last tank 20.2 hand calculated.

vinnieloo

Reaction score
Stock tires and wheels. 3.21 axle as well. Reset computer from upstate NY to the Outer Banks, NC. So highways @ mid 70s, local roads, NJ traffic jams and everything in between. And with precious cargo in the truck (kids) i do drive like a grandpa 😁.

barrak

Reaction score
Stock tires and wheels. 3.21 axle as well. Reset computer from upstate NY to the Outer Banks, NC. So highways @ mid 70s, local roads, NJ traffic jams and everything in between. And with precious cargo in the truck (kids) i do drive like a grandpa 😁.
You've been insidiously assimilated by your RAM. I got a hint I was heading to grandpa territory when during the several weeks I was researching RAMs, online ads targeted at me shifted to indigestion remedies and boner pills.

BowDown

Reaction score
20+ MPH is easy to do, I do it regularly from Dallas to Houston and back

20210816_085549.jpg

Average speed was 70mph.
Hand calc'd usually comes out about the same as the computer; refilled at Buc-ees in Bayton and only added 10.5 gallons. Comes out to 21.77. I'm more than satisfied with this trucks city (17-18) and hwy mileage, my gen 3 with 3.92 got :poop: mileage

TittoPollito

Reaction score
UGH Maryland drivers... I grew up on SoCal freeways and now live in GA (almost as bad as MD drivers).

We just made the trip from SAV to Owings Mills yesterday, AVG 20.2 MPG at 75 ish NON - E torque, 3.92 with the wife, 16 year old son and enough crap in the bed for a 6 month trip (only here till Wednesday for the race in Frederick) but my mother/sister in law live in Owings Mills so it gives my son and I time to do male bonding at the race.

HemiDude

Reaction score
Nice! I've averaged over 20 a few times, on long trips with mds disabled, and not driving like a grandpa. These trucks do pretty well on the highway.

Last edited:

BNeal

Reaction score
20+ MPH is easy to do, I do it regularly from Dallas to Houston and back

View attachment 162057

Average speed was 70mph.
Hand calc'd usually comes out about the same as the computer; refilled at Buc-ees in Bayton and only added 10.5 gallons. Comes out to 21.77. I'm more than satisfied with this trucks city (17-18) and hwy mileage, my gen 3 with 3.92 got :poop: mileage
I think the 70mph is the secret. I normally averaged around 16-17 with normal mixed highway/city driving. However, twice now I've driven from the Dallas area to Bloomington, IL and tried not to exceed 70mph and was able to average 21mph on both trips. The other trip I took up there I drove 80 when I could and only got 17mpg. So, it can be done, but you got to keep your foot out of it.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got to our vacation destination. Family loaded up with Bestop chock-full. 5.7 hemi did great.
View attachment 161992 View attachment 161993

Yeah I'm super happy with mine. I have 35" tires and a 2" lift and we went on vacay last week with the family in the cab and the entire bed completely full of gear and I got 19.8 MPG coming home and 20.2 going to the destination.

Users who are viewing this thread