5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4x4 System

Damon

Reaction score
I bought a 2019 RAM REBEL 4x4. I have been told that if I don't run my truck in 4x4 at least a couple of times a month it will mess up the 4x4 system somehow. Is this true?? Thanks for any help!!

Reaction score
I’m no expert but I’ve never heard of such a thing. I would encourage you to use your Rebel for what it was designed for by going off road when you have a chance. But requiring several times a month seems like hogwash.

When I had a wrangler I used it frequently off road. That being said, there were periods of several months where I didn’t use 4wd and it had no ill effect.

_StangPGH

Reaction score
Nothing special about the Rebel 4WD system but it's not a bad idea to throw it in 4HI once in a while to exercise the moving parts. Do it in the rain if possible and don't make any sharp turns.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

XDBrad

Reaction score
Someone is pulling your chain... Some trucks (of all makes) may only be put in 4X4 once every couple years and they work just fine. However, it certainly doesn’t hurt one to exercise it often either. Like _StangPGH said, put in 4X4 when it rains so it doesn’t bind on dry pavement, but don’t worry if it’s a while between rainy days either.

KcRay

Reaction score
My 2016 Tacoma owners manual said to run it in 4Hi monthly, to lubricate parts. I have been doing the same with my new Ram.

MattF

Reaction score
MY 2013 Tacoma also indicated that the truck be run in 4X4 every month for a short period of time. The new RAMS (well at least mine) has a full-time 4X4 option which can be used at anytime. I'll with to this in the rain

Matt

CornTrucks

Reaction score
I think I saw the same recommendation for Toyota 4Runners. I wouldn’t worry about it and wouldn't give it a second thought. If it makes you feel better, go ahead. I doubt you could hurt anything either way.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Tundra also said to run in 4hi for ten miles every month. At that time I lived where I had a 1/4 mile long dirt drvieway, every day I'd drive out in 4HI, and put it back in 4HI on the way in.

With my Ram, I use Auto 4wd enough to get things lubricated, even though it's not a "requirement" per the owners manual. If I didn't have the Auto mode to use when on the street, I would probably do what was mentioned above and toss it in 4HI in a good rain storm every once in a while, and keep the wheel straight as possible.

The benefit of running the 4wd system is for the front diff fluid lifespan. When fluids sit, and you go through temp cycles with the weather, condensation builds up inside the diff case (or engine, or trans, or tcase, whatever enclosed case isn't being used). Running the diff gets the fluids circulating, and then the temp burns off some of the water content from the condensation. (Some, it's not boiling out steam or anything). This is also why it's good practice to change any of your fluids when they are warm, so that the water content will come out with them instead of sticking to the walls of the case.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use my 4wd Auto once in a while, now I have not used 4wd Low on the truck yet and I have had it for 10 months. I am going to make an effort to put it in 4Low the next time I get off the pavement.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use my 4wd Auto once in a while, now I have not used 4wd Low on the truck yet and I have had it for 10 months. I am going to make an effort to put it in 4Low the next time I get off the pavement.

The t-case is lubed any time you're running down the road. Nothing wrong with trying it out though, you won't hurt it (when used properly). But I wouldn't worry about any components drying out or condensation building up, because it gets lubed anytime the truck is moving.

Damon

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the advice. I will try and run it every once in a while. In between taking it off the pavement!

Users who are viewing this thread